• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

James said:
If you want to read into the url it is under "Our Hotel" - certainly implies a retheme of the existing hotel.

If there were a new hotel being built wouldn't a planning application have appeared by now? (I don't know anything about how planning applications work for Chessington). Shipping containers wouldn't work for the target market. Young families want spacious rooms in a permanent looking building.
I expect that they haven't gotten round to creating a new URL, as for the planning applications, they have been submitted but as a hotel expansion, as they are just extending the building and adding a new entrance, (like towers with splash landings) but it was originality thought that they were just expanding the current hotel.

ground-floor-layout.jpg
Looking at the plans again this is a very big extension after all, so it is possible that this will be marketed as a second hotel option.

Chessington Buzz have been reporting on this for a while... Just sayin' ;)

Not sure what extent the theming will be (Whether a full re-theme or not), but the extension is 69 rooms, new restaurant and a direct link between the park and hotel.

I don't like the idea that the whole hotel will be re-themed to the aztec, considering the view it has over wanyama.

Would it not make more sense for the new, in park section, to be branded as the new part, and get an aztec theme, tying into the re-themed monkey gardens. Leaving the rest of the hotel to be African?

It'll be quite interesting to see how the hotel is integrated into it's surroundings; considering there's nothing remotely Aztec about the area its set to reside in (Unless Mexicana receives a heavier nod towards the Mexican themeing).

Although, the idea of having a 'Performance Space' designed into the hotel seems like a promising move towards integrating far more entertainment onto the resort, and the fact management feel a second hotel is needed at this stage is reassuring indeed.

Quetzal said:
Would it not make more sense for the new, in park section, to be branded as the new part, and get an aztec theme, tying into the re-themed monkey gardens. Leaving the rest of the hotel to be African?
I think that is what is going to happen, and have them branded as separate hotels. Something else that I have noticed, is that it says on their website that the swimming pool is closed from January until April, could the hotel open in April alongside the refurbished swimming facilities?

Of course, you do need to have a park worth staying in to have an extended hotel...

I don't see the point, especially as the existing hotel already has a link into the park, so why is that a big plus for the extension?

Big meh on this quite honestly, as there's a whole list of more important things Chessie need than making their hotel capacity larger than the park's...

I really like Chessingtons existing hotel so hope this is a new theme for the extension and not a full retheme. Should be interesting never-the-less.

Benzin said:
I don't see the point, especially as the existing hotel already has a link into the park, so why is that a big plus for the extension?

The Wanyama link to the hotel is very rarely actually open. The new gate is a proper link to the park with turnstiles etc.

Benzin said:
Big meh on this quite honestly, as there's a whole list of more important things Chessie need than making their hotel capacity larger than the park's...

Well, that I agree with to an extent. Chessington do have a lot of things that need looking at, but the hotel would be one of them. The resort hotel is booked to capacity nearly year round due to it's close proximity to London, it's 4* rating and it's overall quality. It gets booked up for conferences and for people on business. This 69 room expansion and new restaurant should make things more bearable for the hotel, and for Zafari.

Hotels bring in money (the resort side of Towers is very profitable), hope this investment shows Merlin have confidence in the park and help them boost the quality on park as well as off it.

People can yap on about Thorpe Park but for my money Chessington has more potential.

For those concerned about the area the Aztec themed hotel will look over, let us not forget its still a big improvement over Splash Landings which is a Caribbean themed hotel that half of it looks to a stone wall.

Im happy to see a physical hotel being built and not just more shipping container hotels springing up.

I'm pretty sure that the new Monkey and Bird Garden will look rather Aztec. By the way, does anyone have any construction pics of the Azteca Hotel or Runaway Train from Festive Zoo Days?

Just had a brainwave, could the Runaway Train's retheme be a more Aztec style, as I'm sure that you will be able to see it from the Azteca Hotel (as well as the storage site located next door ;)).

That would be the logical and creative thing to do. Only Rattlesnake was ever 'Mexican' anyway; the rest of that area was still a Western American mining town left over from Calamity Canyon, so it's a good opportunity to reinvent that entire side of the park with a stronger theme and new rides.

However, Merlin are boring so I'd rather they just left it alone.

Mexicana will not be turning into an Aztec themed area...

As for Mine Train, I highly doubt the new theming will set the world alight either...

A fair bit of news...

To start with, £14 million is being invested for 2014! Quite large for what is supposedly a small investment year! ;) Secondly, Runaway Train's re-theme has been announced as Scorpion Express, through an abandoned mining town and desert etc. Much more Mexican!

More news on the Azteca Hotel, there will be piranhas in the restaurants as well as stating that the hotel will over look the rethemed Monkey and Bird Garden which will now be named- AMAZU Treetop Adventure, sounds like this could be quite Aztec.
Here is the page that they released the information on http://www.chessington.com/updates/

Best year in a while eyh!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this is good news! Really do like the Scorpion Express name. It's a lot more unique than Runaway Train. And looking forward to seeing the new themeing.

Now I can see why Chessington want to keep it under wraps! Certainly something I can't wait to see when the park opens next year! :)