• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Chessington doing a PR stunt with ear defenders arround the local area:

Screenshot_20230419_111902_Instagram.jpg
So... hang on. Not only are they publicly admitting they make noise, but actually that it's extreme noise, and could cause a nuisance??

All massive hyperbole (and rubbish) of course, but it's like they literally wanted to give the council and local residents a signed, legitimate document that says "we make a lot of noise; please decline any future planning applications we may put in".

Bizarre.

You're wrong. I'm sorry for this.
Bless your misguided cotton socks.

Guests have been spotted having too much fun in Wild Asia, and on Tiger Rock and Zufari. Therefore they are closing the areas early.

Ft_welPXgAAVkFL

It seems they haven’t updated the app to reflect the rides close early, so if you don’t spot the sign on the way in and you use the app to plan your day (as they recommend) you’re stuffed.

F3C00D18-7370-4EB3-8C92-36BBA4F5FC8E.jpeg

Although its sillier and better natured than similar 00s stunt campaigns associated with Alton Towers, this is definitely odd marketing for a park that has had a contentious relationship with locals and planning authorities in the past.

Even weirder that it's so specifically local and parochial for the launch of a ride based on a big ole blockbuster Hollywood film series.

edit: @AT86 beat me to it.

Just a heads up for anyone travelling to Chessy by train, there's an emergency ear defender box outside Chessington South Rail Station. Looks like there's more than one.

To be fair I live in a southern London Borough and am also Greater London but my address states Surrey as the county.
That is actually an interesting bit of history.
The postal county system was created to make post routing easier (Only the old London postcodes got London as their postal county), this system were abolished in 1996 and now routing is done solely by postcode. Ceremonially and administratively you and Chessington are in Greater London.

Chessington have announced there will be industrial action by their engineers on these dates:
  • Friday April 28 to Monday May 1
  • Friday May 5 to Monday May 8
  • Friday May 12 to Monday May 15*
  • Friday May 26 to Monday May 29*
* opening of World of Jumanji on Monday May 15 will go ahead as planned, with the NEW land remaining open on the days impacted.

There is a dedicated page here: https://www.chessington.com/industrial-action/

On these days they will be limiting the capacity by 2/3rds. Dragon’s Fury, Croc Drop, KOBRA, Rattlesnake and Tiger Rock will be closed. They will aim to open 40% of their rides, those that are "more suited to younger families".

Note these strike dates overlap with the three bank holiday weekends in May so this is likely to have a big impact.

Chessington have announced there will be industrial action by their engineers on these dates:
  • Friday April 28 to Monday May 1
  • Friday May 5 to Monday May 8
  • Friday May 12 to Monday May 15*
  • Friday May 26 to Monday May 29*
* opening of World of Jumanji on Monday May 15 will go ahead as planned, with the NEW land remaining open on the days impacted.

There is a dedicated page here: https://www.chessington.com/industrial-action/

On these days they will be limiting the capacity by 2/3rds. Dragon’s Fury, Croc Drop, KOBRA, Rattlesnake and Tiger Rock will be closed. They will aim to open 40% of their rides, those that are "more suited to younger families".

I for one have never heard of a strike in a theme park, and I've been an enthusiast for over 20 years. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Fair play to them for taking steps.

I wonder if the other engineering teams at other Merlin parks will follow suit? I would be worried if I was at Merlin head office, as not only will it impact the park and revenue drastically, but it will also make attracting new engineers even harder if they have a poor reputation.

It’s almost as if they are taking the govements supposed stance of leave it long enough and people will turn against them, obviously that won’t work in a theme park like is has in other sectors such as rail. Definitely a good idea to make this announcement as any visiting guests will be in for a dreadful day during these periods if it’s as bad as it sounds it could be.

Wowee, that is a lot of days where the park is going to be a complete and utter misery. I do not know the details of the reasoning for the strikes, but I'm very surprised that Merlin/Chessington are willing to let these happen instead of resolving the situation. The revenue loss from this is going to be quite substantial.