• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Can their new signature ride really be a 20 minute wait when Fury and Vampire are showing 90 mins ?
Vampire is extremely popular, if the queue was 90 minutes it would be almost out the door into wild woods. Not sure how accurate it is, we usually find queues are over estimated at Chessington.

MM looks quite intimidating, for some it’s a big step up.

Can their new signature ride really be a 20 minute wait when Fury and Vampire are showing 90 mins ?
I was very surprised too. And I don’t know for certain that they have opened it in a standby capacity; I’m simply inferring that based on the fact that the app is showing it as having a 20 minute wait time.

If it is open as a standby queue, though; I’m impressed! A 20 minute wait time for a brand new ride in its opening week would typically be rare, possibly even unheard of!

If what the app states is true, Ostrich Stampede has a longer queue, showing as a 60 minute wait last time I checked.
EDIT: Scratch that; my previous assertion was clearly false, because it’s now saying “Virtual Queue Full” for Mandrill Mayhem and listing the ride as “Closed”…

A glance at the reserve and ride background data suggests that there are 350 rider slots per hour
That would suggest that they’re only dispatching about once every 5 minutes… a train every 5 minutes would lead to 336 riders per hour, while a train every 4 minutes would lead to 420 riders per hour.

I must digress that that is a lot lower than I’d expected during construction; even the higher of those two figures is only 50% of the alleged theoretical throughput (840pph, as per the Noise Impact Assessment). I had hoped that they’d manage at least a train every 3 minutes (560pph), possibly edging towards a train every 2.5 minutes (672pph). I guess the H&S situation probably restricts them, however, so I can’t really complain.
EDIT: I just saw your update @ThisGuy. That would lead to a total hourly throughput of 434pph, which is a bit better; that would be slightly more than a train every 4 minutes. Although I guess the virtual queue throughput may not necessarily be a reflection of the actual ride’s throughput, as I’ve heard people saying that there is still often a 15-30 minute standby wait even when the virtual queue ends.

Last edited:
You would think that they would underestimate the capacity from a VQ perspective. To allow for breakdowns, but also ... From a customer service perspective, it's better to bring someone closer to the front of the queue when you exceed that, rather than push them back when you don't meet a much higher target.

Last edited:
And the queue is now 4h 45m long, with a 6pm close if you were not looking at your phone at the right time then sorry I guess come back another day if you want to ride.

That would suggest that they’re only dispatching about once every 5 minutes… a train every 5 minutes would lead to 336 riders per hour, while a train every 4 minutes would lead to 420 riders per hour.

I must digress that that is a lot lower than I’d expected during construction; even the higher of those two figures is only 50% of the alleged theoretical throughput (840pph, as per the Noise Impact Assessment). I had hoped that they’d manage at least a train every 3 minutes (560pph), possibly edging towards a train every 2.5 minutes (672pph). I guess the H&S situation probably restricts them, however, so I can’t really complain.
EDIT: I just saw your update @ThisGuy. That would lead to a total hourly throughput of 434pph, which is a bit better; that would be slightly more than a train every 4 minutes. Although I guess the virtual queue throughput may not necessarily be a reflection of the actual ride’s throughput, as I’ve heard people saying that there is still often a 15-30 minute standby wait even when the virtual queue ends.
Manufacturer says 500 per hour, tests with just dummies is 350 per hour.
🤷‍♂️

If they are cutting the virtual queue at 6pm then it would mean fewer people can ride than if it had a standard queue since usually the ride would continue running until the queue has gone (a few hours later unless they closed the queue early).

I’m no computer expert but Merlin’s IT infrastructure has never really been astounding so it’s not exactly surprising that this failed on the first busy day.
This won't be a Merlin IT issue though, it'll be an Accesso issue. Which, granted, will push the blame to Merlin IT anyway.

I guess the H&S situation probably restricts them, however, so I can’t really complain.
In what way can you "not really complain", though? That's utter lunacy.