• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

If they are cutting the virtual queue at 6pm then it would mean fewer people can ride than if it had a standard queue since usually the ride would continue running until the queue has gone (a few hours later unless they closed the queue early).
But real queues shut at 6pm too?
As I understand, the app shouldn’t give you a time past 6pm (however the 45 minutes to claim will extend past that), so I guess you’ve just gotta be on the ball if you’ve got a 5:59 code lol.

But real queues shut at 6pm too?
As I understand, the app shouldn’t give you a time past 6pm (however the 45 minutes to claim will extend past that), so I guess you’ve just gotta be on the ball if you’ve got a 5:59 code lol.

Real queues allow any number of people to enter at 5:59pm, virtual queue allows ~6.

You can't get off MM at 5:55pm and run to the entrance to get on again if the queue actually closed (reached virtual capacity) before 2pm

Manufacturer says 500 per hour, tests with just dummies is 350 per hour.
🤷‍♂️
Is this for Mandrill Mayhem? I thought the listed throughput was 840pph? That’s what the planning application implied, anyhow.
In what way can you "not really complain", though? That's utter lunacy.
I say that because the H&S thing (not allowing people to stand behind the airgates) isn’t really something Chessington can do anything about in day-to-day operations.

Would they have benefitted from doing something like buying full height airgates? Probably. But that’s not really the fault of the staff on the ground attaining the throughput; they can’t do anything about the H&S restrictions preventing people from standing on the platform.
Ostrich Stampede is getting about 5 minute dispatches.
That would equate to about 504pph, assuming full cycles of 42. That’s not too bad for a filler flat ride, in my view!
Good thing they solved the capacity problem, the queue could have got really long otherwise.
I’m still a bit stumped by this comment from John Wardley. Even now, after the ride’s opening, I’m not sure what he could have meant.

The ride’s throughput is seemingly equal to, if not lower than, that of most regular shuttle coasters. I guess he could have been referring to the virtual queue, but the inclusion of 3 full length queues for main queue, Fastrack and RAP would suggest that that decision was made pretty late on. And I believe John referred to B&M “solving the capacity problem” rather than Chessington, so unless the virtual queue was B&M’s idea, the virtual queue being the “solution” wouldn’t match John’s comment.

It seemed like an odd thing to say if he wasn’t referring to something in particular; even if Merlin had told him to say something positive about the ride before the Q&A, surely he could have honed in on something other than the capacity rather than talking about the capacity?

Last edited:
Using Virtual Queue, I only queued 40 minutes for MM. Average time between dispatches were 2 minutes 25 seconds. Review later, but it wasn't a patch on The Swarm.

I wonder how many people staff have had to explain "it's virtual queue only, and the virtual queue is full" to today.
WoJ staff have been getting a lot of grief from guests about MM according to someone I know who's there today. Not fair on them at all.

Reactions: Tom
Using Virtual Queue, I only queued 40 minutes for MM. Average time between dispatches were 2 minutes 25 seconds. Review later, but it wasn't a patch on The Swarm.
Interesting! Is that a train being parked in the station for 2 minutes 25 seconds, or a train being dispatched every 2 minutes 25 seconds? If the latter, I'm pretty impressed!

That vastly exceeds other reports I've seen, which speak of 4-5 minute dispatches, and it would also be a significant improvement on the alleged virtual queue capacity of 434pph; an average dispatch interval of 2:25 would lead to around 700pph!

Interesting! Is that a train being parked in the station for 2 minutes 25 seconds, or a train being dispatched every 2 minutes 25 seconds? If the latter, I'm pretty impressed!

That vastly exceeds other reports I've seen, which speak of 4-5 minute dispatches, and it would also be a significant improvement on the alleged virtual queue capacity of 434pph; an average dispatch interval of 2:25 would lead to around 700pph!
It's the latter.

700pph for headline attraction is absolutely woeful.
But given the theoretical throughput is 840pph, I’d argue it’s quite an impressive real world figure!

I was also quite pleasantly surprised by the figure given the virtual queue capacity allocated, as well as the reports of 4-5 minute dispatches I’d heard from earlier in the week!

But given the theoretical throughput is 840pph, I’d argue it’s quite an impressive real world figure!

I was also quite pleasantly surprised by the figure given the virtual queue capacity allocated, as well as the reports of 4-5 minute dispatches I’d heard from earlier in the week!
The throughput pleasantly surprised me, but it is still pretty woeful for a flagship attraction.

700pph is not bad for a shuttle coaster. Problem is they are batching outside the station, so that's no doubt detracting from the theoretical capacity by quite some margin. Realistically it's achieving about 400pph-500pph, if you consider all the faff that comes with batching in such a way. Anyway I rode it very recently, thoroughly enjoyed it, pulls some unique forces is and is extremely re-rideable if you go off peak. The land itself is rather brilliant for a UK themed area. Very well themed and each ride helps fill a family/thrill gap, with there not being too many more thrilling rides in the park. The land is definitely not without its flaws; there are too many intrusive green fences intruding on the sightlines, there's a lack of water features and not many changes of ground elevation, so the area looks a bit flat in places. Mamba Strike is great fun. Ostrich Stampede could do with a longer cycle. The lack of boundaries on the parks result in lots of guests trampling on the plants, and there also isn't enough seating. £13 for a hot dog from the land's themed F&B is also outrageous.

Last edited:

See my post from a few months back. That theoritcal throughput of 840pph was nonsense.

@Matt N

From the testing videos, the ride is 1 min 5 secs long. Add on another 10-15 seconds for dispatch and parking you're looking at 1.20 secs.

That gives them roughly 40-45 seconds to unload and load a full train to achieve the theoretical throughput of 840pph. There is absolutely no way that is going to happen.

Add in the RAP and Fastrack queues and the normal queue will be lucky to get 500 pph.

Think even the Queens mourners per hour queue would be quicker!