• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Those oddly well informed kids at Chessington Buzz are suggesting Scorpian Express may not be returning. It seems the replacement motor has knackered up other parts which are no longer available for replacement from Mack.

I'm sure Mack could still provide a complete new train if they crossed their palms with enough Euros, but it seems there's a possibility there's not a will to make that happen.

Other than the loss of previously reliable capacity the park desperately needs I can't say I'd be that bothered, it's been crap since the retheme.

Last edited:
If it weren't for those well informed meddling kids ... ! Chessington Buzz is a strange entity ... they're obviously very well informed by someone in the park, but I am not sure that they are always a good ambassador for them. Their site looks exactly like the official Chessington one bar a couple of colour changes, down to the same quirky font.

Bizarre that it could get this far down the line for them to give up on it - but I guess that could be the way. I actually quite like the Scorpion Express overlay, if only for the great centre piece, Runaway Train looked pretty dreadful in its final seasons.

The bits for Scorpion Express accidentally fell off a lorry in Rust. Just a coincidence mind you.

I read that article last night, seems like the author was having a debate with themselves about whether or not Chessington were just going to bin the ride off!

It would be a pity to lose Scorpion Express without a replacement imminently lined up.

Whilst not as impressive as it’s incarnation as Runaway Mine Train it does tick a lot of boxes for Chessington.

It’s the only coaster with a 0.9m height restriction - which is pretty key for the parks demographic. It’s also one of the higher capacity rides at the park.

Would be a shame to see it go.

If Scorpion Express is closing, I see that Chessington Buzz suggested in their article that it could be a new coaster site for the park, as the previous site that the Flying Jumbos have now departed sits directly behind it and the Children’s Zoo, which has previously been cited as a redevelopment area by the park, sits very near it: https://chessingtonbuzz.com/news/goodbye-scorpion-express/

With Chessington Buzz having previously hinted that the park is receiving a second new coaster at some point in the not too distant future, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if this replaced Scorpion Express.

I thought Scorpion Express was on track to reopen in June or July, though?

I think a wooden coaster would be too noisy because the plot is surrounded by zoo enclosures and the hotels are also nearby.
Yep if Chessington were doing wood it would of needed to be on the Jumanji site I think.

All they need to do with this site is a decent size mine train style coaster, at least on a similar scales to Alton Towers one.

It'd be a huge shame if the ride was to be removed. It's one of the parks opening day attractions, back in 1987. It may be 36 years old, but when I went with my family, it was one of our favourites. Not super thrilling or super tame or super impressive, but just a really pure fun ride with some nice scenery and effects.

I just returned from a visit to Chessington after 20 year's. It was nice to see all the many changes and to get on the new rides. Definitely will not be returning though. They were so busy on a Friday that most queues were at 2 hours. In the end we managed 4 rides after spending £80 on one shot passes. I definitely won't be taken advantage of like that by merlin again

I thought Scorpion Express was on track to reopen in June or July, though?
It was slated to open in late May; staff were training for it (as much as you can without riding) and then it was pushed back to around June 20th, and now that it's July, there seems to be no news on its future.
I'm not sure what's going on, but I can only assume that things do not bode well...