• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

I love the outside of that Burger Kitchen, looks awesome! Incidentally, did you eat at the Burger Kitchen whilst you were there? :)

No, we didn't, we were mainly there for a meal in Zafari. I'll give it a go the next time I visit though, the food looked really good.

Oh.. dear...

I am disappointed. It actually looks far worse than when it was Count's Cauldron. There is no architectural character. It's plain. It's silver and purple. It's anti-everything I thought it was going to be.

I thought they were giving Transylvania its original character back, a quirky European town square, before the cartoony 'spooky' purple look they introduced in the late 90s.

They have simply exposed the old facade behind and painted it. What's it supposed to be? A cookhouse like the name suggests? Or a castle as the colours suggest? Why are the windows boarded up? Why are there bats painted on it?

Blah blah blah.

I'm not too sure about it being worse than Counts Cauldron, it doesn't clash with the rest of the area quite so much any more. It's not as good as it could've been though. I think the problem with the idea is that too often when people hear "Transylvania", they think "Vampire Land", for me, the Vampire area begins when the Black Forest begins, not in the Village. But still, I'm not too fussed about this new look, it sits with the rest of the area really nicely.

Interestingly Bubbleworks was closed, but the Scaffolding didn't actually cover the entrance area. I presume they're just doing the winter Refurb, but here's to hoping some of the Imperial Leather rubbish could be on it's way out?

I'm annoyed that they are still pushing in the wrong direction.

When Transylvania opened in 1990 it took its cues from real European architecture and culture, yet exaggerated it to some level to make it fun and exciting. The Vampire was (supposedly) situated in a Transylvanian castle, and while it revelled in camp theatricality it didn't stray into the commercial cliché often associated with Vampires today. It's imagery was very wholesome. The rest of Transylvania was a believable yet quirky European town. It was a great concept.

Then in 1998 I think the whole park was updated with a "wacky" brand image and it seems Transylvania was messed around with in the process. They tried to make it more cartoony with a big McDonald's castle and gave Vampire a new 'electric' purple logo, replacing the original scroll and elaborate serifed font design.

I thought 2013 was the year they were sorting out Transylvania properly, returning its original character somewhat by restoring the Black Forest Chateau facade and possibly the old entrance. Some people may like what they have done, and I agree it is more vibrant than the old Count's Cauldron, but this will look even worse after a few years of weathering.

Rubbish.

They have as good as ruined the interior with those dreaful multicoloured chairs...and why on earth they felt the need to paint the walls in horrible block colours is beyond me. The extrerior blends in more with the area but actually is not as good as Count's Cauldron.

From this...

chess%20120.jpg

To this...

886144_4683903939536_1877530617_o.jpg

It is plainly obvious that this park employs no-one with any artistic, let alone thematic skill.

Chessington is fast becoming irrelevant as a major UK theme park, even the construction of this new Safari attraction is failing to generate any real interest. And to think, it all looked so positive in 2010.

I am waiting for the "all change is good" brigade to come out and start saying how fantastic this all is, when it really is anything but. More proof that Merlin parks (sorry "resorts") are merging into one generic brand rather than establishing their own unique identities.

It looks neither exceptionally themed nor themeless and to me that's the problem. It needs more or nothing. Disappointing. Plus that spelling mistake is a blinder!

Outside looks half finished - the bottom looks poor compared to the top.

Inside looks awful.

Imagine it's a budget thing, as chessie never seems to get a decent budget like other parks does. Shame really.

Whats happened to the i in "in" on that sign?!

Chessington have revealed the new park map!

Chessington Buzz said:
Chessington has officially revealed the new park map for the 2013 season, which can be seen below. Following on in the same style from the last few years drawn by Rob Hunt, the new map showcases the new for 2013 attraction, Zufari - Ride Into Africa, but the new map also brings about a few changes for the season!

First of all, Zufari is highly prominant on the new park map, taking up a lot of space, showcasing all of the animals available in the attraction, and detailing all the other attraction changes in the park.
Most notable, is the change of Flying Jumbos, which is now located in Zufari, along side the new attraction, also change, Wanyama Village & Reserve also falls under the new land, Zufari. According to the map, Flying Jumbos has had a repaint and now the 'Jumbos' have been painted grey, more in line with the style of Zufari, although any other changes to the attraction are currently unknown.

As well as this, there are the new eateries detailed on the map. Creaky Cafe and the Vampire Burger Kitchen are now both up and running, and represent a change for the park, as these are also new for the season.

This season is looking set to be a big one for Chessington, with the new multi-million pound ride Zufari - Ride into Africa opening, a variety of new restraunts and other changes about the resort expected, Chessington is looking great for the new season.

Chessington Buzz will be posting live updates from the VIP Launch of Zufari - Ride into Africa on our Facebook Feed on this Friday (15th of March 2013), so be sure to 'like' us on Facebook to see all the latest updates!

As always, Chessington Buzz will be reporting on all the changes, goings on and events throughout the season, so be sure to keep your eyes peeled on all the latest news here! We wish Chessington all the best with the new season, and hope all of our friends enjoy visiting!

Source - Chessington Buzz

2013-map-resized.jpg

Zufari looks very dissapointing...
No safari, African feel... Just dirt and well.. dirt...

Oh and half a tree!
I know this is only a small section but you know...
At least I'm assuming this is the ride area..

It's only how land around a new coaster looks in its first year. Give it some time and it'll look great!

Anyway, seriously can't wait to try Zufari out! :D

Yeah I know, Personally I can't wait, It will be a fun ride but the unfinished looks will reduce its wow factor. Like I said I know this is a tiny tiny part of the ride in scale of the whole thing, Looks like I will have to get a ride on it!

Don't get me wrong though I have been super excited for Zufari from the start

Oh dear! First we had "Fasrtacks" at Thorpe and now Chessington has this! :p

LOL!

Spelling fail. Hope they change that - spelling mistakes annoy me, unless it's a new kind of 'in' that they're going for ;)

Quetzal said:
The Giraffes were playing around too!
858950_4683913979787_1385638970_o.jpg

885087_4683914739806_1930530065_o.jpg

Surely this is a joke...? This isn't actually their great African safari experience...? Looks more like an overflow car park experience...

Their random capitalisation of breast bothers me, too.

All their websites are littered with spelling mistakes and grammar errors. It's an embarrassment to those of us who actually understand spelling and stuff.