• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

I went on a quiet day towards the end of the summer when the ride had barely any queue, and there must have only been a couple of trucks on the track (there were a few parked up near the hotel), the longest we had to wait was on the platform waiting for the next truck. But because of this the vans traveled much slower, so we saw more of the animals and had more audio, compared to when I did it earlier on in the year when it had a massive queue.

thefatone said:
John said:
A well operated SRQ on rides like Smiler
I've never witnessed Single Riders working well on smiler, unless you class dumping all the SRs into the loading bays as the turnaround has taken them too long and they've run out of main queue.

Whilst I have seen the SRQ get loaded into all bays on an occasion or two, I disagree entirely with the rest. In their pomp they run the Smiler fantastically well and the SRQ moves along smoothly.

I did go on a day where everyone seemed to be riding in 2s, to the degree the host even apologised, but in terms of the staff running it well? More often than not I have been pretty impressed overall.

Anyway, Chessington. My silence in this topic really sums up my feelings on the place right now. No one even bothers to try and defend it anymore, it is almost like a solemn resignation.

Let's hope they are really turning the place around over closed season.

Indeed. I was born and raised on Chessie rides, but now? Unless the Macks buy it, I'd say it's beyond saving. :'(

If 2014 turns into another 2013 season then I will be losing hope for the park. What it once was when I was a kid will never be the same again. :(

I have a bit of hope. Not much but I pray that 2014 will be a good year for the park.

I've been sent pictures of frame works going up, but they're trying to keep it under wraps as much as possible.

Jared said:
I've been sent pictures of frame works going up, but they're trying to keep it under wraps as much as possible.

Why? It's not like some extravagant new ride design is being put up, it's literally just replacing old theming.

LiamC said:
Jared said:

Why? It's not like some extravagant new ride design is being put up, it's literally just replacing old theming.

They'll probably try and market the rides as "new for 2014" in some way. I must admit there seems to be absulutley no point in keeping it all under wraps, unless they know the replacement theming won't be as good as the original theming so don't want an outcry of disappointment and frustration before they open?

:)

Rob said:
unless they know the replacement theming won't be as good as the original theming so don't want an outcry of disappointment and frustration before they open?
Nail. On. Head. :(

Or because they want it to be a surprise? (the same reason that all theme park developments are kept secret)

Or maybe because they don't want people on here making flippant remarks and criticising for looking rubbish before it is even finished? :twirly:

Was the 2013 season that bad really? Yes it didn't go as well as it should've with Zufari and everything, but it was bad for a good reason (if you get what I mean). Yes they did have two rides closed for most of the season but for a good cause. Runaway Train gave the park a chance to do a proper job of the refurbishment and showed that the park were aware of the state that Dragon Falls and the Mine train had got into. The other closure, Rameses, gave the park a nudge that something had to be done to the upkeep of the attractions, and has also given Merlin a reason to give the ride a full system refurbishment.

Other changes around the resort showed that the park were making an effort to tackle the complaints. For example, the changes to Zufari with the ride having its audio improved raising the ride duration, it's height restriction being lowered and lowering/painting the fences on the bridges.

The amount of construction fences found around the park did ruin Chessington's legendary atmosphere, but they were around to improve the state that the theming was in. For example, the in season reprints and repairs in Transylvania as well as the new signs and roof for Stubb's Sweet Shop.

The only issue with this year that can't been seen in a good light the Vampire's third train removal, it was completely uncalled for, totally useless and just increases the queue times.

The park have also been their general appearance with the repaints of the Dragon's Fury entrance and major works on Rattlesnake meaning all the queue line animatronics were working (some of which are very cool), as well as fixing Frazzle and Sir Walter Squirtalot. In general this year hasn't gone as well as it should have, however, it has helped the park a lot in the long term.

They should get a chance to prove they can theme these rides again.

As for Zufari, the driving around the animals is nice enough but the queue is horrid, pre-show laughable and SOME theming iffy. My big issue is Merlin can't get the basics right, such as how a loading station works!

This isn't just at Chessington, look at the lack of drainage on Smiler ect.

electricBlll said:
Or because they want it to be a surprise? (the same reason that all theme park developments are kept secret)

Or maybe because they don't want people on here making flippant remarks and criticising for looking rubbish before it is even finished? :twirly:

Only Merlin have this "keep things secret" attitude. Most other parks are happy to show off their latest attraction and build up hype before it opens.

DiogoJ42 said:
Only Merlin have this "keep things secret" attitude. Most other parks are happy to show off their latest attraction and build up hype before it opens.
I thought Merlin had a "make everybody in the entire country know" attitude, with their PR stunts and overhyping, often before revealing a ride's 'surprise'. Are we talking about the same Merlin?

Chessington did advertise the Dragon Falls refurbishment as early as March this year, as well as starting that competition. Also most people won't be interested in following this kind of development so I don't expect big fanfare anyway.

Also we're only one month into the closed season so slagging off this refurbishment as yet another Merlin failure is perhaps a bit premature?

It shouldn't be so hard to create new, better theme designs for Dragon Falls/Runaway Train, so if we end up with lifeless decoration devoid of charisma - then I'll be disappointed. But it hasn't even been built just yet.

I look forward to them advertising a 27 year old ride as 'new for 2014' though...

Then again, they couldn't design Zufari properly, there's not much hope riding out for them fixing up the rocks...

I've heard rumours that Dragon Falls will infact be re-named next year to fit in with the re-theme, to Shipping Container Falls... ;)

I Love dragon falls and I have high hopes for the future. Some of the current scenery is really dated, and you can see the rust. I don't mind if it looks a bit rubbish for a while, because if merlin do this correctly, it could then out fantastic at the end.

Of course, whether Merlin do this correctly ...

BenBowser said:
Was the 2013 season that bad really? Yes it didn't go as well as a big investment year should, but it was bad for a good reason (if you get what I mean). Yes they did have two rides closed for most of the season but for a good cause. Runaway train gave the park a chance to do a proper job of the refurbishment and showed that the park were aware of the state that Dragon Falls and the Mine train had gotten into. The other closure, Rameses, gave the park a nudge that something had to be done to the up keep of the attractions, and has also given merlin a reason to give the ride a full system refurbishment.

I'll always wonder if the Tomb Blaster accident in 2012 was the catalyst for what happened to Runaway Train and Dragon Falls. After all, those two rides have been decaying rapidly for the last fifteen years, why suddenly the rush to pretend that it was all scheduled refurbishments when realistically, the rides were ready to go days before the cancelled Annual Pass day.

I want to be hopeful but Chessington has been letting people down for years with rubbish re-themes and poorly planned refurbishments, hasty ride closures and rides taking severe cuts in throughput. Why should we think Runaway and Falls will be any different based on recent evidence.

LiamC said:
Jared said:

I've just has clarification on this. The whole park excluding the Zoo has been classed as a construction site and therefore the PR team are not permitted to enter the site. So it's not so much keeping things under wraps as I was lead to believe. More that they're not allowed on site.

Engineers and alike will have been inducted and allowed so the rides will be getting their usual winter regime.

Slightly strange, but understandable with the amount of work being done.

Bob said:
BenBowser said:
Was the 2013 season that bad really? Yes it didn't go as well as a big investment year should, but it was bad for a good reason (if you get what I mean). Yes they did have two rides closed for most of the season but for a good cause. Runaway train gave the park a chance to do a proper job of the refurbishment and showed that the park were aware of the state that Dragon Falls and the Mine train had gotten into. The other closure, Rameses, gave the park a nudge that something had to be done to the up keep of the attractions, and has also given merlin a reason to give the ride a full system refurbishment.

I'll always wonder if the Tomb Blaster accident in 2012 was the catalyst for what happened to Runaway Train and Dragon Falls. After all, those two rides have been decaying rapidly for the last fifteen years, why suddenly the rush to pretend that it was all scheduled refurbishments when realistically, the rides were ready to go days before the cancelled Annual Pass day.

I want to be hopeful but Chessington has been letting people down for years with rubbish re-themes and poorly planned refurbishments, hasty ride closures and rides taking severe cuts in throughput. Why should we think Runaway and Falls will be any different based on recent evidence.
The tomb blaster scenario is probably true, as Chessington wouldn't normally make a large investment straight after zufari

Now the runaway train I think doesn't need doing. It goes much faster that dragon falls and to therefore cannot have much time to look at dirt or rust. Take the vampire tunnel. When was the past time you looked in there to see if it was clean? I believe that (as mentioned above) chessington don't want a repeat of tomb blaster 2012 (By the way Tomb blaster's reopening day had no queue all day!)

Dragon falls on the other hand, really needs it, an the accident has pushed cheasington into it.

I can say this: hopefully it will look lovely when done, but it must push back a large investment for them to (finally) get another coaster a long way.