• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Christmas 2012

djtruefitt

TS Team
Today saw the first Santa Sleepover of 2012, with a selection of rides and attractions in the theme park being open for the first time since fireworks.

The park was open 10am till 6pm today with the following rides open:
Old Macdonald's Farm
• Old MacDonald's Tractor Ride
• Old MacDonald's Singing Barn (with a Christmas twist)
• Doodle Doo Derby
• Berry Bish Bash
• Giant Rabbits
• Miniature Donkeys
• Furry Friends

Cloud Cuckoo Land
• Ice Age The 4D Experience
• Ice Age A Mammoth Christmas 4D - New for 2012
• Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
• Wobble World
• Galloper's Carousel
• Mrs Claus Driving School
• Frog Hopper

Mutiny Bay
• Marauder's Mayhem
• Heave Ho!
• Sharkbait Reef By SEA-LIFE

In terms of food there was wobble world cafe, corner coffee, towers family restaurant, cafe barrrrr and Eastern Express.

So compared to last year its on a much larger scale with the whole of Cloud Cuckoo land open this year and the new Ice Age Christmas film.

These are a few of the photos posted on TowersStreet Facebook page today:
Park map, the dotted line is the routes you can walk (no getting near SW7!):
228350_410357965701320_1150168180_n.jpg

The Christmas tree on Towers Street:
148268_410391662364617_1331689667_n.jpg

Time for Ice Age A Mammoth Christmas 4D:
306014_410422349028215_1179809798_n.jpg

End of the day:
179312_410473179023132_698008153_n.jpg

We will be adding more photos of the event on our facebook page and main site over the next few weeks.

This is a really good line up for over Christmas and the park looks amazing over winter does anybody know how busy the park is over this period

I belive the hotels were fully booked last night, so fairly busy, its a bit hard to tell as the park is open so long (10-6) and with it being quite spread out this year it does mean it doesnt seem so busy. Ice Age was full when we did it however.

So the parks opening hours are longer during this event than they are at some times in the main season? I find that highly amusing!

:)

Rob said:
So the parks opening hours are longer during this event than they are at some times in the main season? I find that highly amusing!

As I did.

:p

Rob said:

only just noticed this is rather amusing I can see why they open till 6 to gain full effects of the Christmas lights. Buget cuts within the main season for full on winter event

The long opening might have something to do with getting enough capacity through the grotto and Ice Age. So that everyone who has booked can see Santa and the film without a huge queue.

They don't hide the fact Christmas is a premium product at the resort.

I think it's great that they have the park open til 6pm. It means the guests that attend the event are more likely to have a better experience as the times that guests are on park will be more spread out. I just wish they saw things in the same light with the main operating season; when it's busy a 6pm ride close in the summer is far too early; but that's going way off topic!

Interesting thought... was Charlie operating with any issues today? After all temperatures are bloody freezing at the moment and I thought the general consensus surrounding it not working during the Feb half term events was due to low temperatures?

I believe the new Christmas film is actually the one that's available on general release? I saw it in a shop on the high street today at any rate...! Ice Age: A Mammoth Christmas (I think!).

As far as im aware all rides were running fine, Charlie certainy didnt seem to have any problems with frozen ice or anything.

The Ice Age film is the same one you can buy in the shops, I have no idea if its been edited or cut down for Alton, but they did say Alton are the only place you can see it in 4D this Christmas.

I enjoyed the film, it was quite funny in some parts and the 3D was slightly better than the normal film. The only minor issue was that it was way too short, it felt alot shorter than the main Ice Age 4D.

The expansion for the Christmas event is great! Hopefully they will continue this next year, I'm hoping they open duel ( can do it on smaller capacity), and maybe 1 coaster (temperature dependant).

You watch the normal show, then there is a 5 minute break when Sid and Scrat come in and you can buy food then they show the Christmas film.

Dave said:
You watch the normal show, then there is a 5 minute break when Sid and Scrat come in and you can buy food then they show the Christmas film.

Ohhhh right, thought they would be seperate. Wow that must make the queue quite long?

No not really any queue at all, don't forget the park only has 2 hotels worth of guests in it (so around 600-700 people.

The Towers Street christmas tree looks a bit slanted. And are all those guide ropes necessary? I've seen real christmas trees much larger than this without any extra supports???

;)

Blizzard said:
The Towers Street christmas tree looks a bit slanted. And are all those guide ropes necessary? I've seen real christmas trees much larger than this without any extra supports???

;)

I think it's to avoid digging up the grass for a large hole to support the tree.

Astounding - Drayton Manor is entirely sold out on Saturday's and Sunday's before Christmas.

Alton really are missing the boat with a massive money spinner for day guests if they bumped up the offering a tad more.