• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Cigarettes sold in Towers Trading

This thread is a bit pointless people smoke. Some one should start a new thread to ban mist on the rides it recks your Hair . That's if the mist is working. They would be better off complaining about selling rubbish food than Cigs.

It is a fact the smoking is unhealthy, and second hand smoke is just as dangerous, so trying to compare it with mist ruining someone's hair is like comparing apples and oranges.

I do not think the smoking policy is well enforced, and some members of this forum smoke outside of the smoking areas.

The problem is that one person starts smoking in the queue line, and no action is taking against them, so someone else starts smoking, and so on.

I don't think the queue line audio acts as a deterrent, and it would be difficult to have a member of staff going through the queue line and telling people to stop smoking. I am sure most people do follow the rules, and they are let down by a few.

Ian

aru said:
I think it would be more sensible just to ban smoking in queue lines. It is easier to enforce and signpost. I might be in the minority but smoking elsewhere doesn't bother me - it is an open space like every other street or park in the UK.

As a non-smoker, I agree with this. As long as I'm not in a confined space, it doesn't bother me.

I find it strange that they've decided to treat e-cigarettes in the same way as regular cigarettes though.

I believe cigarettes used to be sold elsewhere, I have certainly seen them in the Air and Oblivion shops, but I think now the only place that sell them are Towers trading (and hotels I think). There is a little stand behind the counter in Towers Trading, on the right hand side.

Personally I have no problem with them selling them. Its up to them really.

I was just trying to compare Alton Towers vision, which is 'a family theme park for all ages' with others, for example;

Disney - they don't sell cigarettes anywhere on park, yet no one complains, there's enough going on around the park so people don't stop and think 'oh wait I need a drag'

Like I said I just wanted peoples opinions on this, I just think that smoking should be kept out the park while youngsters are on site. Only reason I created this thread was because I watched a young child (hold up guys this is a bit of a sob story) go to the counter with their bear from towers trading, then have a fag counter staring right infront of them.

I mean I know smoking is everywhere these days I just hopped that Alton kept a certain amount of innocence in them, but I know you can't find this anywhere in the world.

Once again I have nothing against smoking and have many family members that do, just out of respect for the younger age group think it should be kept outside the park.

Also very petty calling the thread meaningless, smoking is a serious issue...

LordOfDarkness said:
Only reason I created this thread was because I watched a young child go to the counter with their bear from towers trading, then have a fag counter staring right in front of them.

I take it the cigarettes on open display, is the base of this thread. maybe the better question should be

"Should Alton Towers have Cigarettes in a plain unit with a doors and just have 'Cigarettes sold here' on the door?"

My option is, I don't mind if cigarettes are kept out of sight, as long as there is the opportunity for smokers that have run out or damage theirs, to buy some more on park.

LordOfDarkness said:
Disney - they don't sell cigarettes anywhere on park, yet no one complains, there's enough going on around the park so people don't stop and think 'oh wait I need a drag'
If we are talking Disneyland Paris that is certainly not the case. Well the part about not selling cigarettes could be (I didn't check) but on the trip I just got back from people were smoking all over the place. We commented on it a few times, including during Disney Dreams when everyone was crowded together.

As for my opinion I half agree that smoking should only really be banned from the queue lines but the trouble is what's stopping a guest from standing just outside the queue and the staff members having no power to stop them? Hence why I think the general blanket ban bar designated areas is the best solution. Is it ideal? No. But in an ideal world you could trust everyone to be considerate.

With Disney and Portaventura who I believe also do not stock cigarettes on park, you can get them in the resort shops and bars which are only a short walk away from the park itself. If Towers stopped stocking them then you would have a decent walk up to Alton village to pick up some smokes.

With regard to the smoking in designated areas, I think it works well generally. I think if the majority abide by the rule then it's fair enough to be honest. I wouldn't set up some smoking police to enforce it 100% or set up the ridiculous pen they have in Lego land.

I will smoke in a designated area if there's one near by, but I won't go out of my way to find one and I think that suits most people. I'm not going to stand in the middle of Old Mcdonalds farm blowing smoke at the donkeys and 3 year olds.

Common sense and compromise seems to be the best approach. :)

Tim said:
LordOfDarkness said:
If we are talking Disneyland Paris that is certainly not the case. Well the part about not selling cigarettes could be (I didn't check) but on the trip I just got back from people were smoking all over the place. We commented on it a few times, including during Disney Dreams when everyone was crowded together.everyone to be considerate.
Regarding DLRP - they have designated areas for smoking but nobody adheres to it. Trying to tell the French where to smoke is nigh on impossible. That's not a stereotypical view, it's because smoking is more engrained into society over there.

As for Towers, I'm still fairly sure they were selling them in Dark Forest at the start of the season.

Scott said:
Tim said:
LordOfDarkness said:
If we are talking Disneyland Paris that is certainly not the case. Well the part about not selling cigarettes could be (I didn't check) but on the trip I just got back from people were smoking all over the place. We commented on it a few times, including during Disney Dreams when everyone was crowded together.everyone to be considerate.
Regarding DLRP - they have designated areas for smoking but nobody adheres to it. Trying to tell the French where to smoke is nigh on impossible. That's not a stereotypical view, it's because smoking is more engrained into society over there.
That was what I suspected. Plus the vast mix of languages makes it harder to enforce.

Sorry I meant Disney World but my example wasn't the clearest... I don't know maybe this was more of a personal viewpoint thread... Apologies!

DiogoJ42 said:
Y'all seem to be forgetting... smoking is cool.

I think that a line from Craig Charles stage show Live On Earth.

and the next line was

"and when it kill you, you are getting cooler by the second"

I don't have a problem with it. Never had. I don't understand the issue of having "cigarettes in front of children" always been in front of kids and they always will. I don't smoke but when I was at school mates of mine did, and there parents didn't. What does that tell you. Its also the same argument with "bikini clad women in magazines" my child shouldn't see this.................. shall we go to Spain and surround them with half stripped people.

I'll defend smokers anytime. A lot of them do smoke in the designated areas, but then again a small amount won't (the rebels). I'd rather be around a smoker with access to fags. Then be around one that is miles away from a drag. AT sells alcohol on site. I don't mind this in the hotel. But I've never been a fan on the park itself.

The problem with smoking at Towers is that there isn't enough smoking points for the size of the park.

I remember Diogo posting about in the Smoking etiquette thread a couple of months on how the DSAs work well at Chessington, because of the park's child friendly attitude (Where there's more DSAs due to the fact there's more kids.), and that park's a lot smaller than Towers so you wouldn't be far away from one.

This is what he said in full.

DiogoJ42 said:
Having many DSAs works well at Chessington, and when there I will gladly use them. The park is more child friendly than Towers, which caters for a wider age range, so there are more kids about.

Secondly, you are rarely more than 30 seconds walk from a smoking area. But at Towers, you can often be up to ten minutes away from one. Asking your whole group to make a ten minute detour, wait five minutes while you have a fag, then walk another ten minutes to the next ride is stupid. So at towers I will smoke while walking Between areas. If I'm waiting at a ride exit, there is usually a DSA nearby, so I'll use it. But in a park the size of Alton banning smoking everywhere just isn't going to happen.

Slugjc said:
I don't have a problem with it. Never had. I don't understand the issue of having "cigarettes in front of children" always been in front of kids and they always will. I don't smoke but when I was at school mates of mine did, and there parents didn't. What does that tell you. Its also the same argument with "bikini clad women in magazines" my child shouldn't see this.................. shall we go to Spain and surround them with half stripped people.

There is nothing you can compare 2nd hand smoke to, and the damage it can causes to the people around you. Being serious, would anyone who smokes or is pro smoking actively encourage other people to start smoking?

The solution Towers has is a good compromise, apart from the fact it goes unenforced. They have separate areas out of the way where people go to smoke, so it does not affect those who do not like it. Most smokers respect this rule, and follow it, but a few let it down, by smoking in the queue lines, and in other areas of the park.

There is minimal enforcement of the smoking policy by staff, and that is understandable, because just as enforcing the queuing jumping policy, it is going to lead to a argument, where the staff member will in most cases be out numbered.

My final thought on the matter is if you want to do something, or go somewhere badly enough, would a smoking ban put you off? Plenty of smokers fly long distances, and this can mean going without a cigarette for 8+ hours, so surely a 7 hour trip to a theme park would not be impossible?

Ian

Why wait 7 to 8 hours if you can smoke. you'll be wanting Sunday service next before the rides open. If they stopped smoking they would have to get rid of half the staff.
The girl that used to skate as Peter rabbit going back was on pot and she skated better for it FACT
And 1 of the other skaters used to get you anything you wanted so lord knows what they are up to these days. I've worked there and still go 3 times a season I could not even tell where the smoking areas are. As long as its not in a queue and I don't queue for rides as I go just to enjoy the park on a whole these days some people need to lighten up. I bet they plan the time and day they have sex. Boring springs to mind. I'm leaving it here because it is just a thread that will go no where.

Smoking areas make it easier to enforce smoking in queuelines - also there's no reason for people to smoke next to a queue so they don't suffer.

Fairer to staff too, most of whom do not wish to have to smell your smoke whilst working, so they can tell you where to go.. politely of course.

It's relatively enforced, and it's a good thing to have around anyway!