• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Climate Change

Ammonia is of more value overall to power engines, lacking the problems of producion, tank storage and conversion.
Hydrogen is simply one alternative, and a bit trendy...nothing more.
Well that’s the thing there will be probably several ways to power a car in the future, which is good as it gives people more choice and hopefully allows us to bring petrol and diesel cars to a minimum.

It is still an electric car. That is the point I am getting at. The hydrogen is converted to electric which powers electric motors.

Like I said, electricity is the answer, ot is just about providing a sustainable way to supply the electricity. Hydrogen being one of them..

Apologies misunderstood your earlier post, yes absolutely hydrogen is the fuel creating the electricity. We need to refine how much energy this requires to get the hydrogen in the first place and it may be a viable alternative.

Out of interest - anyone on here have an electric car?

I had one for 4 days a few months ago, it was a brand new VW IQ3. Was a completely new experience to drive with no gears but the acceleration was crazy.

Had range anxiety though driving back one day from a moderate drive well within its range. Going up a steep hill the car started warning me I wouldn’t have enough range to get home I turned everything off and slowed right down and made it home.

So next morning after a full charge of 166 miles I started off and tried something. I put everything on in the car - heated seats, steering wheel, radio, lights, heaters, windscreen and rear heaters, basically everything you would use in the winter. The range instantly dropped from 166 to 120 miles. Instantly.

So it didn’t tempt me to switch away from unleaded, because what’s the point of having a modern car with all these features if you can’t use them.

The only thing I did like however was the one pedal breaking and acceleration. That is genius!

However I also love driving, I love the sound of a meaty engine in a sports car, I love changing gear and just being in control. Unless electric cars seriously improve I’m over the next few years my next purchase will again be petrol.

Just to add I was reading an article in money saving expert where they were comparing the best EV charging electric home tariffs. The average home on the best tariff was around £2,300 per year in electric to charge the car.

That’s £191 a month. I don’t use that in petrol at the moment and when you factor in the extra cost of buying an EV the petrol and diesel cars are still much more attractive in terms of affordability.

Just saw this public video on Facebook and had to paste it. Looks like they had solved the issue of petrol prices back in 1975 lol

Link :- fb.watch/dM3nEzhfvy/?fs=e&s=cl

Put https:// in front of that above as the link won’t work here it tries to embed

Not happy hearing about £30 flights to Poland. Flying to Lemnos in Greece in September and return flights are costing me £500. First time abroad for 20 years (not counting a Normandy battle sites study trip) and I have to land (no pun intended) expensive flights. Just my luck!! Shame about the climate change though.

Who is doing those flight for £30?? I need flights to krakow!
At a guess, it’s probably Ryanair. They do some very cheap flights from London Stansted in particular, although they serve a number of UK airports.

Poznan, Wroclaw & Warsaw are normally doable for £40 or less from Manchester, with Ryanair. Krakow usually double that.

NYC and LA are ~£350 return in September. My Avanti return ticket to London is £378.

@rob666 what MPG are you getting at the moment ?!

Yeah, trust me to have to be going to the place with the worst value flights. I'm flying from Birmingham though which may limit things a bit. Also, I'm pretty sure we land at Athens then have to get one of those dodgy small planes to fly out to Lemnos from there. So it's actually 4 flights in total. Will probably crash on the small plane out of Athens, but nothing ventured nothing gained!

Poznan, Wroclaw & Warsaw are normally doable for £40 or less from Manchester, with Ryanair. Krakow usually double that.

NYC and LA are ~£350 return in September. My Avanti return ticket to London is £378.

@rob666 what MPG are you getting at the moment ?!
Hey, since the speed awareness course, I've been getting 22 mate!
What is truly shocking is all that duty I have to pay on fuel, as a necessity for work, yet all leisure fuel for aviation is taxed far less.
No logic at all, and Europe has actively stifled the debate on aviation fuel taxation for decades...going right back to Blair being in power.
Round trip to Poland for the weekend, 2,500 miles, all avoidable.
Round trip for Robs gardening round, for the week, about 100 miles, all essential...but taxed at about ten times the rate on fuel.
Logical explanation and justification still required.

OK, so double post, but no whip me, six months later...that says something.
Probably going to be the wettest year ever locally.
Going to be the hottest ever year globally.
I'm still mowing lawns around the winter solstice because it has been the wettest autumn ever.
The grass is still growing.
I used to stop mowing mid November.
Worst gardening year in living memory.
Worst year on record for arable farmers.
Latest "bullshit climate summit" promises weasel words but zero concrete, so expect mass disruption by the eco warriors again.
About to be the busiest week ever for aviation transport.
The trip to hell in a handcart gets ever quicker doesn't it?

We only used to see snails on our holidays.
All over the place now, run up the west coast then inland...ben in Preston for years, then a very slow walk up the pennines to Blackburn.

OK, so hottest year ever, wettest locally ever, six months without a single dry week, and hottest day records smashed worldwide on around two hundred days this year.
The gap between cutting my last lawn and the first dandelion flower of the new season, my "official winter", used to be around three months, this year it was literally, precisely three weeks.
The "one and a half degrees" that sends us out of control has happened.
Everyone now knows what we have to do, but nobody is willing to do it.

Last edited: