• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Complaining to Merlin

swalesuk01

TS Member
Hi I hope this is in the right section as this is my first topic I have started.

I was wondering what other people experience is with complaining to merlin, I have read through posts in the past and people have said it's not worth it.
The reason I ask is because over this past season little things have happened that have frustrated me but kept my mouth shut, for example booking time of to go on the smiler for it not to be open earlier in the season the annual pass gate that is never used changing of the perks. Though after an experience at one of their other parks similar to a post already on here I decided enough was enough. After waiting over a week for anyone to reply from Merlin the email basic read like skim through your complaint then reply with a generic response with your detail added where appropriate. Something along the lines of thank you for contacting us, sorry we are not living up to expectations, all feedback is gratefully received and we will contact appropriate departments yours .....!!! I have then replied saying how I was not happy with a generic response that doesn't really answer my complaints and how they will be acted on. To which I got a reply from one of the theme parks in questions saying sorry but nothing to do with us here is their email address take it up with them.

I personally think this is wrong and hate companies that try to pass you around hoping it will stop you complaining and was wondering if anyone else have had similar experiences?

I generally think that any issues you have with the parks should be raised with the parks themselves, given that in terms of operations not a great deal is decided at Merlin level.

I did consider that but the issue I had that led to the complaint happened at 2 parks on the same day regarding the same issue. So I thought that this was more a group issue as I had heard of the same problem at a 3rd park and I wanted to know if this was group policy or not and if not what the policy should be. The annoyance for me with the reply was that after waiting over a week for a reply, rather than it saying we have spoken to XYZ about the issues raised in you email and this is the result/they will be contacting you shortly. I ended up with a non descript reply touching on some of my issues not answering others at all and not actually giving any details of action that maybe taken to resolve the issues raised.

swalesuk01 said:
I did consider that but the issue I had that led to the complaint happened at 2 parks on the same day regarding the same issue. So I thought that this was more a group issue as I had heard of the same problem at a 3rd park and I wanted to know if this was group policy or not and if not what the policy should be. The annoyance for me with the reply was that after waiting over a week for a reply, rather than it saying we have spoken to XYZ about the issues raised in you email and this is the result/they will be contacting you shortly. I ended up with a non descript reply touching on some of my issues not answering others at all and not actually giving any details of action that maybe taken to resolve the issues raised.

At least you got a response!

My experience with guest services ON park is usually quite exceptional.

My experience off park of Tower's complaints procedure is nothing short of utterly woeful.

I tried the same with Merlin HQ, I think they file complaints in the circular cabinet underneath the desk.

Not had much experience of complaining directly to Merlin. I'm not much of a complainer in general, I just go with the flow and get angry at inanimate objects, but I have complained to guest services at Thorpe and Alton before and got a very good service both times.

Sadly with huge companies like Merlin it's the sort of response you expect..
But I can imagine how impossible it would be to create a personalised
response to every complaint

I remember writing to AT management a few years back to protest at the continuing increases in the parking charges when the relief road plans had been dropped. I also copied in the Sentinel newspaper and Merlin HQ.

I got a response from AT management pretty quickly who said that the parking charges were now being diverted to the general upkeep of the park as opposed to any funding for the now defunct relief road. The Sentinel also got in touch and ran a story in the paper about the charges, with locals also then contributing saying how people have been parking around the villages to avoid the parking charge.

Merlin HQ however didnt even acknowledge my letter........