• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Contacting Merlin re: 'Problems At Alton'

Harv

TS Member
Judging by the reactions in the Scarefest thread, the Fastrack thread, The Smiler thread and many other threads across the Alton boards, I think it's pretty clear that people are feeling dissatisfied with Alton at the moment for several reasons.

I'm considering forming some kind of petition or official complaint (possibly on behalf of others too, if deemed necessary) but before I do so, it'd be reassuring to see if others feel the same as I do at the moment about the problems at the Towers.

For me, the main issues stand as follows;

- The cost-cutting operations enforced parkwide.
- The general increase in prices across the resort coinciding with a decrease in quality, particularly prevalent in the cocktail bars, food outlets and hotel dining areas.
- The upselling of Fastrack and over-saturated distribution of it as a compensatory measure.
- The shortening of "after-dark" hours at this year's Scarefest.
- The lack of information and assistance provided by both social media and on park services when The Smiler is closed for maintenance.
- The lack of evening entertainment offered in the resort.

If anybody has anything to add in terms of problems that they have encountered, or would like to agree/disagree with anything I've pointed out, I'd love to hear it.

We all want to see the place thrive and return to it's glory days, sometimes management just need a gentle prod to help encourage them to put the necessary effort in.

Edit: I haven't written a draft as of yet as nobody needs to read a long-winded essay covering what we already know. If anybody wants this in letter form or for me to construct a draft letter, I'll do so, but I felt that it was unnecessary for now.

Re: Problems At Alton

Evening entertainment has had some changes in the last few weeks, not seen it so no idea if its made a huge improvement but it is fairly recent.

Other than that, all the best to you.

-the lack in ERT line up for thrill seekers. Nemesis only now.

Also I agree why you are considering action. All the best!

We have always stayed in the Alton Towers Hotel and the last few years the singers seem more interested in pleasing themselves than there audience .Self Indulgence comes to mind. Going back it was great fun songs that most people knew great comedy drag etc and scare fest the last few few years the songs don't even relate the Halloween and hotel staff have agreed with us.

I'm not too sure about the lack of evening entertainment as each time I've been, there has been some form of entertainment occurring after hours. Although I agree on every other point you've made and wish you the best of luck with it!

Bring back the days of The Magic Makers and Dickie Hart & Tanya Hyde!

If you travel back just a mere 10 years to the hotels you would know how down hill the resort entertainment has gone!

I've said it a fair few times on here, a long time ago you would have an evening of:
- Pirate Bill and Baby Bear
- The Magic Makers (singing and mini disco)
- Group of singers
- The Magic Makers face painting and balloon shapes
- The Dickie and Tanya show

You would have an evening of non-stop entertainment with variety! Now you get just the singers pretty much, with Pirate Bill on some nights.

I know there is now a new show in ATH which I think started last week with the band. However i'm yet to ever see the band play, when ever I have stayed it has always been the same one or two singers singing the same songs!

Its also a bit naff some nights where you have:
Pirate bill
break
singer
break
(same) singer
break
(and same) singer

Merlin and their 'resort' spiel, yet Alton hasn't seen a new hotel in a decade or any solid investment since 2007!

Speaking to one of the singers, the band are only there during the peak summer days, they will disappear again once the summer is over. Last years Scarefest "entertainment" was god awful with no Halloween related songs or outfits like the year before (even the singers wanted to), in fact, that reminds me, must add that bit to my ever growing letter to Alton!

They need the band there during Scarefest!

I remember back in 2010 the band were at the hotel for Scarefest and the atmosphere was electrifying!

Although understandably the band probably have other places they perform outside of Alton.

To be honest we were there also in 2010 and we left early to go back to splash landings and the door staff asked why we were leaving and we replied they sound like cats down a back alley and he replied they sound like that most nights. Which says it all really.

All ents at Alton are terrible.

No offense to the singers, but hotel entertainment is abysmal. One cute girl with a good voice singing pop covers and some Butlinsesque kids shows are about your lot.

In park is still as limited as always. It's great seeing a picture on a forum of a Pirate driving around in a car, or a quirky invisible band, but I've spent 3 full days on park so far this year and the closest I've come to seeing any on park entertainment is the freakin Crave advert.

Novas said:
All ents at Alton are terrible.

No offense to the singers, but hotel entertainment is abysmal. One cute girl with a good voice singing pop covers and some Butlinsesque kids shows are about your lot.

In park is still as limited as always. It's great seeing a picture on a forum of a Pirate driving around in a car, or a quirky invisible band, but I've spent 3 full days on park so far this year and the closest I've come to seeing any on park entertainment is the freakin Crave advert.

Disagree completely there.

We have gone from no ents in 2007 to:

Pirate Show
Costume Characters
Park keepers (car and inv band)
Bravo band

And I haven't visited as much as I used to this season but I have seen the ents stuff around, but it's focused around the family areas as thrill seekers don't give a monkeys.

And most of that list is just this season. It's not Disney but its the only area of the resort developing. As for Hotels it's better than it was a few years ago (but not the best it has ever been).

Other things that are improved:

Entrance market doesn't happen, up selling is much lower
X-Sector is fresher and Oblivion painted

Don't get me wrong at this moment there is loads I hate but we just look like whining idiots if we try the "IT'S THE WORST EVER" angle without acknowledging what is actually better.

It's not yet as bad as 2011!

Don't get me wrong, I can be positive about the park and I try not to jump on the negativity band wagon, but the only bit of entertainment I've seen this year is the Pirate show, and by that I mean I spent 5 minutes watching it before the woman shreaking got on my tits and I went and finished my pint outside by the Flume.

I don't see anything through enthusiast tinted glasses, but at the hotel last week I went to Flambos and had my now legendary cocktain experience, then I went over to the AT hotel and walked into a girl singing Adele covers to a huge line of people who I'm convinced died of dehydration before they ever got close to being served at the Dragon bar. I don't doubt that ents do a good job with the resources that they're given, but for a resort of altons size i'd like to see twice as much of it and twice the quality.

I can be positive. Had a stunning meal with exceptional service in the hotel, visited the Spa for the first time and thought it was epic, I loved my Moon Voyage and thought the room was worth every penny, but this is the bitching thread. :)

The hotel singer vocals can be... debatable. But I'd say they are on par with the level of vocals you get in holidays camps (a bit like 90s Butlins or Haven Holidays). Although I would expect a place like Alton Towers to have singers who can, erm, sing a bit better. Still, it's not horrific, just not great.

Theme Park entertainment is still lacking for the wider range of ages for me (although this years pirates show is quite good for all ages). But to be fair since 2008 a lot has been brought into the park so they have improved. They could do with some more support to further expand entertainments offerings however.

I'm not saying you can't be positive Novas I just disagreed with your point about ents, my comment about seeing the positives as well as the negatives was aimed at the whole topic not you and I should have made that clearer sorry.

Just on the subject of the hotels... I'm usually a secret Flambo's fan but my meal in their a few months ago was dire. The selection was poor compared to last season.

Secret Garden however was absolutely gorgeous as always <3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Most of entertainments staff are great and really enthusiastic, but they don't have the budget to play with when it comes to shows and performances. There's only so much you can do with a shoestring budget.

Even the best actors still need props or costumes to help set the scene, and expecting them to conjure up 90's style entertainment with next to no props, stages or anything...

... well, it's not going to happen. :/

This year is MASSIVELY better than previous years, but you can still see that its all fairly low budget and lacks the magic feel from years gone by.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2