• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Controversial Alton Towers Opinions

Over 40 = OAP?
Over It Abandon Thread GIF

alright alright I’m sorry if your 40 your not on OAP your middle age!
all I was saying was that I didn’t agree with robs suggestion of an overs 40s only policy on nemesis because us young whippersnappers like it too. It’s not just an old classic it’s a great ride.
But yes you are all still old to me.

You never know we might not get to see 40 the rate the world is going. Petition to turn the Nemesis: Sub-Terra building into a nuclear fall out shelter.
Speak for yourself brother...some of us are safe from conscription even!
And I wouldn't want to sit in sub terra for two weeks/months/years while the toxic fog clears.

Hang on, is this not a topic about Alton Towers....!? ;)

Thanks!
Sorry Rob, you know these OAPs and their memory loss

The monorail entrance ruins the AT experience

When you goto international parks, the entrance areas no matter where are magical but the monorail entrance block is plain, boring and doesnt cause any excitement for the day

Sorry Rob, you know these OAPs and their memory loss

The monorail entrance ruins the AT experience

When you goto international parks, the entrance areas no matter where are magical but the monorail entrance block is plain, boring and doesnt cause any excitement for the day
I'd agree and say it needs a refurb, the interior is okay at the top of the stairs but the outside definitely and uncontroversially I think all the trains need an overhaul too.

Not sure what others will think of this but upon thinking of my Port Discovery revival idea to replace TWODW, I got thinking about Steampunk theming and the one ride that had it briefly, Black Hole.

My controversial opinion is that Black Holes's main station was probably one of, if not, the best themed stations that Towers ever saw I mean being better than that for Nemesis and Oblivion too!

Something about that Steampunk theming oozes so much quality compared to other themes, maybe the timeless feel or just that it sticks out a little better than other themes you have now.

I've thought of a new one for this thread... controversially, I actually rather like Gangsta Granny, and I don't hate TWODW as an area.

I know it's aimed at young families, and it's certainly not something I'd ride every visit, but I do actually really enjoy Gangsta Granny. I think it's a really fun little dark ride, and arguably a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine; I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but controversially, I'd actually argue I preferred it to 2022 Duel...

As for TWODW; I actually quite like it. OK, it's far from the most elaborate themed area on earth. It wasn't a hugely drastic change from 2019 CCL. I do feel that there were some missed opportunities with the land (for instance, I would have liked to have seen the 4D Cinema reopened, and I would also have liked to have seen the Driving School integrated in). But for what it is, I don't think it's a bad little area. There are some nice little details, I quite like the colours, I really like the theme music, and overall, I actually don't dislike it. I think it's a fair improvement on 2019 CCL, even if it didn't change a whole lot, and I don't think it's a bad area for what it is, even if I do feel there were some missed opportunities with it.

One of my opinions which i wouldn’t say is controversial i just don’t think many people would feel the same is that oblivions first drop isn’t actually that intense at all

I've thought of a new one for this thread... controversially, I actually rather like Gangsta Granny, and I don't hate TWODW as an area.

I know it's aimed at young families, and it's certainly not something I'd ride every visit, but I do actually really enjoy Gangsta Granny. I think it's a really fun little dark ride, and arguably a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine; I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but controversially, I'd actually argue I preferred it to 2022 Duel...

As for TWODW; I actually quite like it. OK, it's far from the most elaborate themed area on earth. It wasn't a hugely drastic change from 2019 CCL. I do feel that there were some missed opportunities with the land (for instance, I would have liked to have seen the 4D Cinema reopened, and I would also have liked to have seen the Driving School integrated in). But for what it is, I don't think it's a bad little area. There are some nice little details, I quite like the colours, I really like the theme music, and overall, I actually don't dislike it. I think it's a fair improvement on 2019 CCL, even if it didn't change a whole lot, and I don't think it's a bad area for what it is, even if I do feel there were some missed opportunities with it.

I disagree with much of what you have said.

• Gangsta Granny is indeed a fun little dark ride - the first couple of times you ride. However, due to the nature of the attraction, it's not rerideable in the slightest as unlike many dark rides - you are forced to focus on specific things - the cumbersome ride vehicles blocking any other view. Therefore, every ride is the same - you won't notice extra little details every time like you would have done with dark rides such as Haunted House, Toyland Tours, Hex etc.
  • The area suffers the same low-budget issues as was seen in the Ug Land/Dark Forest "retheme" when Th13teen opened. In other words, the capex goes on the new ride and the park are left to pick coins from behind the sofa for the area. The World of David Walliams is, quite honestly, shambolic. Not only is the car ride not even part of the area (!), the theatre is mothballed, there's a hired in funfair ride that the park don't even own and the rides that do remain are cheap and barely themed. The paintwork around the rea is dreadful - and is peeling in many areas. The 'major' dark ride in the area should have been what is now the Dungeons. Crazy.
  • The area has no food and beverage unit of note. Back during Cred Street/early Cloud Cuckoo Land days, there was the café serving hot and cold drinks, cakes, sandwiches and ice creams. This has gone,
The area is typical of the cheapness of many of Alton Towers/Merlin's recent developments in its resorts.

It's crap.

Haven't spent more than 10 seconds in the area so can't really comment.

Was the suggestion that the park had bought the Scrambler false ?