• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
Today, I ought to have been travelling out with five friends from TS over to France where we'd have been visiting Plopsaland tomorrow, then down to Europa-Park/Rulantica before returning via Phantasialand.

An annual trip at New Year was a must for me up to and including 2019's visit to Gardaland and Europa-Park/Rulantica, but last year it was canned and this year the same.

If it is canned again next year, you start to wonder what the point of being alive actually is.

Depressing, isn't it?

How likely are people thinking a lockdown before NYE will be? I'm meant to be seeing Fatboy Slim :(
My family and I are supposed to be a get-together with hosting two other families on Wednesday. We've been doing it for a few years, but obviously couldn't do it last year. Will be gutted if we can't so it this year, but I doubt new restrictions will be brought in. Will be nice to have official clarification tomorrow though.

As much as beating up on the floppy haired buffon and his mates is fun and broadly correct, you've got to admit it's one he'll of a job. The risks to life on your conscious (yes, even he has one I'm sure) is incredible and utterly inenviable. The models by their nature give a wide range of possibilities, and almost endless variables. I think/hope they've got this about right where other nations have been more cautions.

Sometimes giving people credit for doing their job, even though it is their job, is absolutely valid. It's not really just a job, is it?

When he does something that deserves credit I will give him some.

The vaccine roll out was organised by the NHS, but the government took the credit.

On the flip side they love plastering the NHS logo over track and trace, yet the NHS has nothing to do with it. It’s a government project run by a private company and it’s been a complete joke.

He dithers and delayed in 2020 multiple times, the handling of the pandemic has been monumental in its incompetence. So not really feeling any need to give Johnson any credit.

When he does something that deserves credit I will give him some.

The vaccine roll out was organised by the NHS, but the government took the credit.

On the flip side they love plastering the NHS logo over track and trace, yet the NHS has nothing to do with it. It’s a government project run by a private company and it’s been a complete joke.

He dithers and delayed in 2020 multiple times, the handling of the pandemic has been monumental in its incompetence. So not really feeling any need to give Johnson any credit.

totally agree with this.

the only credit he can really get is the almost unlimited funding offered to the NHS to tackle this

We won't know it was an overreaction or not for a couple of weeks.

The only reason Boris Johnson hasn't introduced any restrictions in England is because his own party won't support them.

Last edited:
We won't know it was an overreaction or not for a couple of weeks.

The only reason Boris Johnson hasn't introduced any restrictions in England is because his own party won't support them.

maybe but the figures also don’t support them at the moment particularly in terms of hospital cases

I've gotta be honest with you mate, why would you have your booster 1 day before Xmas when they say you can feel rough the day after? There are drop in centres all over the country where you could walk in a week before or after Xmas. Don't want to be a d**k on Xmas day obviously, and I wish you all the best. Have a good day :)

My doctors sent me a text to book my vaccine but as I was working to 23rd I thought I have it that evening and I was fine by Christmas morning.

I would also give him credit for not stopping Christmas and not overreacting so quickly like wales and Scotland and introducing no new restrictions for new year.

I think we won’t know for sure how that gamble will play out. As already mentioned I would be more confident in him if I thought he had made the decision based on the data and published the data for all of us to see. Instead as alluded to by others he made the decision because he is impotent as a leader now and his back benchers have him by the small and dangly’s.

He is also conspicuous by his absence recently.

Too early to tell!
Gambling with peoples lives is always a tricky one...if we could all see into the future!

It’s gambling with people’s lives whichever way you look at it, the suicides, the eating disorders, the lack of education, the redundancies etc. etc. etc.
Everyone has now had the chance to have multiple vaccines so life MUST now be allowed to go on as so very few of those vaccinated are ending up on a ventilator.
Those not vaccinated must now be called out and loose the privileges the rest of us have worked for by having these multiple vaccines otherwise what was the point if they all end up overwhelming the NHS and the rest of us suffer as a result?

Oh come on, we all know in politics your dammed if you do and your dammed if you don’t. He waited to see the figures on Monday before making a decision and the decision was to not shut down the economy and to carry on.

It’s been proven the virus is milder, we are all getting out 3rd jabs, hospitalisation rates haven’t increased as they predicted so why not keep things open.

Only way we will get through this is for more and more people to be exposed to the virus and build up immunity, and what better time than when it’s less severe than delta.

I know many don’t like Boris and whatever he does will always be met with criticism but I think at the moment he is doing the right thing. As @BigT rightly says above, shutting down again will cause other consequences on peoples lives.

I think you give Boris Johnson too much credit. Boris will do what's good for Boris. He'll do whatever keeps him in power. If his scientific advisors say he needs more restrictions but the 1922 Committee say no then he'll say no...

I think you give Boris Johnson too much credit. Boris will do what's good for Boris. He'll do whatever keeps him in power. If his scientific advisors say he needs more restrictions but the 1922 Committee say no then he'll say no...

Exactly this, I can agree with the outcome (I’m against lockdown) and still be suspicious about the motivation of the PM. I agree with Labour, he should publish the data so people can see what is informing the decision.

He also should be the one telling people, not sending Eustice to do his dirty work.

I’m not saying I’m giving Boris himself praise what I am saying is that whoever is in power they will never do the right thing. Like i I said, dammed if you do and dammed if you don’t regardless who is in power.

I’m not saying I’m giving Boris himself praise what I am saying is that whoever is in power they will never do the right thing. Like i I said, dammed if you do and dammed if you don’t regardless who is in power.
What's the 'damned if you don't' analogue to being condemned for throwing several parties during national lockdowns?

What's the 'damned if you don't' analogue to being condemned for throwing several parties during national lockdowns?
Fairly sure that analogy is in relation to more restrictions / fewer restrictions / lockdown / nothing. It’s fairly clear that whichever route is taken, some group of people will oppose it, and state it’s the worst possible course of action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The royal institution Christmas lectures this year are about virus and infection.
There is a lot of talk about flu like infections.
Its on bbc 4.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk