• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
Second time: check.

I guess working with a bunch of unvaxxed kids increases the risk.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Second time: check.

I guess working with a bunch of unvaxxed kids increases the risk.

Oh no; hope you’re OK symptoms-wise @AstroDan.

Thankfully, it appears that the government is beginning to vaccinate 5-11 year olds based on posts on Facebook from my local vaccination centre, so you should be more protected from COVID fairly soon (correct me if I’m wrong here, but I seem to remember you previously saying that you worked in a primary school)!

Out of interest, Dan, how is your school at the moment in terms of isolation and absence rates? Are you all coping OK with the current high rate of COVID in children?

Oh no; hope you’re OK symptoms-wise @AstroDan.

Thankfully, it appears that the government is beginning to vaccinate 5-11 year olds based on posts on Facebook from my local vaccination centre, so you should be more protected from COVID fairly soon (correct me if I’m wrong here, but I seem to remember you previously saying that you worked in a primary school)!

Out of interest, Dan, how is your school at the moment in terms of isolation and absence rates? Are you all coping OK with the current high rate of COVID in children?
20% of my class are currently isolating.

Ongoing nightmare.

I'm not bad thanks, Matt. Aches/runny nose/scratchy throat.

Classic Omicron.

20% of my class are currently isolating.

Ongoing nightmare.

I'm not bad thanks, Matt. Aches/runny nose/scratchy throat.

Classic Omicron.

Good to hear your symptoms aren’t too bad; Omicron does thankfully seem to be a bit milder than earlier variants! Hope you get better before too long!

That isolation figure, though… wow. I never remember the isolation figures being anywhere near that high when I was in sixth form (although admittedly I was in the South West, a comparatively low transmission area), even when it was fairly rife in winter 2020. I had a feeling that schools would be rife with COVID after restrictions were released en masse last summer and Omicron came about, and it appears I wasn’t wrong… my heart certainly goes out to you and everyone else in the education profession, as I can’t imagine it’s easy to deal with COVID at present. Schools must be up there with hospitals as one of the places where COVID still feels the most present, surely?

I take it this means you’re still doing a lot of remote teaching over Teams and the like? I can’t imagine what that must be like with big classes of primary school kids… I remember it being difficult with small classes of 17-18 year olds in sixth form, and I can’t imagine it was fun for our teachers either.

I am not doing live teaching over Teams. It is impossible to do that when you have 20+ kids in school (class). I would only do that if the vast majority of the class were at home.

The government may think teachers can walk on water and do that, the reality is quite different. Teaching is a high stress, physically demanding job - I can't sit and face a screen with 20od 9 year olds behind me.

:p

I am not doing live teaching over Teams. It is impossible to do that when you have 20+ kids in school (class). I would only do that if the vast majority of the class were at home.

The government may think teachers can walk on water and do that, the reality is quite different. Teaching is a high stress, physically demanding job - I can't sit and face a screen with 20od 9 year olds behind me.

Ah, fair enough; that does sound difficult, and certainly not something you could pull off effectively! That would result in you either having to totally neglect your in-person class or neglect your online class…

I guess I now see online teaching from a different perspective since joining university, where our lecturers are usually able to either pre-record material and stick it online or actually record the lectures and put them online afterwards for those who can’t attend, or in some cases actually livestream the lectures over Teams or a similar medium.

I can’t imagine it’s quite that easy when you’re dealing with primary schools, where students likely don’t have the same degree of internet freedom as university students, and where teachers also have vastly less free time.

Get better soon @AstroDan and yeah I can imagine teaching primary schools kids over teams is a right nightmare and required their parents assistance. It's quite different at secondary schools and college I would imagine (and with experience over the past couple of years)

I joined the COVID party on Tuesday. Believe it's my second time having it but first confirmed case. Feel pretty much fine though, bit of a runny nose and slightest of headaches.

Managed to avoid it in December despite being at some big mass gatherings in London, including a packed theatre, at the peak of the Omicron wave. Go up north for one night in Manchester in January and catch it. Always said the north is dirty ;).

Oh well, glad it is this way round and didn't ruin Christmas!

I joined the COVID party on Tuesday. Believe it's my second time having it but first confirmed case. Feel pretty much fine though, bit of a runny nose and slightest of headaches.

Managed to avoid it in December despite being at some big mass gatherings in London, including a packed theatre, at the peak of the Omicron wave. Go up north for one night in Manchester in January and catch it. Always said the north is dirty ;).

Oh well, glad it is this way round and didn't ruin Christmas!
Oh dear; hope you get better soon.

I’ve finally got the two dreaded lines, been lucky up until now I guess with working in the food production industry, I’m one of the last to get it.
Feel a bit crap but just like a heavy cold really, my dilemma now is do I report the positive test or not?
What is gained out of reporting it? I’ve also heard of people been hassled a lot by Track And Trace once they report a positive test.
I thinking just sit it out until I’m blowing negative again then back to work.

I wish I hadn't bothered because I got a bunch of texts and emails over a few days about isolating, and then you also have to fill out a form for test and trace detailing your movements which just felt like a big faff.

Hopefully you're back to negative soon!

I'm on day 5 and getting fed up of the boredom. Hoping I can get released tomorrow.

I’ve finally got the two dreaded lines, been lucky up until now I guess with working in the food production industry, I’m one of the last to get it.
Feel a bit crap but just like a heavy cold really, my dilemma now is do I report the positive test or not?
What is gained out of reporting it? I’ve also heard of people been hassled a lot by Track And Trace once they report a positive test.
I thinking just sit it out until I’m blowing negative again then back to work.
Oh no; hope you get better soon @BigT.

In terms of why you’d report LFTs; I think it’s to aid the government’s data collection to do with COVID. Every positive test equates to a case, so every logged case helps with the government’s data analytics that determine the restrictions, as well as helping to determine the trend of the disease.

Oh no; hope you get better soon @BigT.

In terms of why you’d report LFTs; I think it’s to aid the government’s data collection to do with COVID. Every positive test equates to a case, so every logged case helps with the government’s data analytics that determine the restrictions, as well as helping to determine the trend of the disease.
More importantly than the government the scientists need to say as accurate a representation of the data as possible so they can analyse the pandemic and help us get out of it all.

Every positive test equates to a case, so every logged case helps with the government’s data analytics that determine the restrictions, as well as helping to determine the trend of the disease.

If this is the case could this not skew the data, or are multiple positive tests from the same COVID case not factored into the data?

I've been doing an LFT each day but only reported the first positive one.

I think it’s an interesting discussion, I know of 5 people including myself that have tested positive this week and not one has reported it, this I guess is a consequence of ditching PCR tests to confirm a positive case, they have lost control of the actual number of people testing positive.
I guess it’s kind of irrelevant how many are testing positive now and hospitalisations are more important.

The UX on the track and trace stuff is absolutely appalling.

When I was recording my movements I had to include a trip to town, and it wants every shop you went to - fine, but it also wants the postcode and the exact address as recorded in whatever database they were using - street numbers and everything. Cue 10 minutes of Googling to try and find Lush's actual address (which they don't list, because nobody cares and I imagine just putting Lush, Clumber Street, NG1 would suffice if you needed to send something), with a bloody head ache and fever, and then repeat for each of the other dozen shops I went to.

I gave up in the end and I did get a call a day or so later but all they wanted to know was if I had any contact since the test.

I find the staff in the NHS who are anti-vaxx incredible.

Had society not stepped up and taken the jabs, the hospitals they work in would have been completely swamped by now.

I didn't exactly want a jab. I did it for the NHS. To read some NHS staff are refusing is a slap in the face.

No?

Last edited:
I find the staff in the NHS who are anti-vaxx incredible.

Had society not stepped up and taken the jabs, the hospitals they work in would have been completely swamped by now.

No?

There's 1.4m people who work for the NHS. You can't have a workforce of that many people without having a considerable population of nutters.

Don't make the mistake of believing everyone who works for the NHS is a fundamentally good person too, as lovely as it would be to believe such a thing.