• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
I've also written off this year (did it a while ago). I'm hoping we may be able to at least do scarefest however but that's a big hope.

The only way this situation will change is

1. The virus mutates and becomes less deadly
2. The virus looses it's infectiousness (as what happened with the Spanish flu)
3. So many people have had it that the virus struggles to find a host and starts to slow down drastically
4. We get a proven treatment that works to control symptoms and stop deaths
5. We get a vaccine.

One thing is definately for sure, I won't be buying anything from China ever again. I was reading today their wet markets are back up and running with caged dogs, cats and other animals being slaughtered alive in front of their 'buyers'. They just don't care.

I've also written off this year (did it a while ago). I'm hoping we may be able to at least do scarefest however but that's a big hope.

The only way this situation will change is

1. The virus mutates and becomes less deadly
2. The virus looses it's infectiousness (as what happened with the Spanish flu)
3. So many people have had it that the virus struggles to find a host and starts to slow down drastically
4. We get a proven treatment that works to control symptoms and stop deaths
5. We get a vaccine.

One thing is definately for sure, I won't be buying anything from China ever again. I was reading today their wet markets are back up and running with caged dogs, cats and other animals being slaughtered alive in front of their 'buyers'. They just don't care.
There is no chance you'll be able to do that. Zero. Even things not "Made in China" will use parts or minerals from China.

I was under the impression that China had outlawed wet markets now? It was either that or eating live animals.

As for when we will be able to go back to normal; I haven't written off this year yet. I think that we should be living reasonably normally by the summer, maybe with some additional measures e.g. in terms of hygiene.

I do wonder how quick we would have gone into lockdown if Labour was in charge. On my way home yesterday at 6pm from work I saw 2 lads walking along the road drinking lager then went past a gym park with 5 or 6 lads were on the same equipment and at the top of my road 2 neighbours standing next to each other chatting with there dogs.

I do believe there will be a new major infectious disease act going though parliament after this is all over.

An act of parliament that can be turned on or off as required, would speed up response to a situation like this.
The worrying part is how would it be safeguarded against abuse.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

I think things will change drastically towards China once this is all over.
I don't, mainly because most people aren't going to hold China directly responsible, unless some of the more wild conspiracy theories about it being started deliberately are proven to be true. After the initial failure to cover up the initial outbreak (largely inevitable once the spread escalated) they went into a PR drive to save face which seems to have been largely effective.

Given that it's a new virus, the slow initial reaction is excusable too - it would have taken a while to appreciate the severity of what they were dealing with.

I don't, mainly because most people aren't going to hold China directly responsible, unless some of the more wild conspiracy theories about it being started deliberately are proven to be true. After the initial failure to cover up the initial outbreak (largely inevitable once the spread escalated) they went into a PR drive to save face which seems to have been largely effective.

Given that it's a new virus, the slow initial reaction is excusable too - it would have taken a while to appreciate the severity of what they were dealing with.

I disagree. The UK Government are already said to be furious with China given they knew about this virus a lot earlier and tried to cover it up. They also believe the numbers of infected and deceased are considerably higher and the severity of the virus has been played down by the Chinese government. I think other countries are also starting to feel the same way. I doubt places like Italy will welcome back Chinese tourists any time soon.

The PR drive from China is also fake. They are trying to show "help" towards other countries, like all the supplies of aid they sent to Italy....only for it to emerge after that Italy actually had to pay for it. Or the thousands of testing kits sent to Spain which they have had to send back for being defective. Not to mention the masses of PPE they have which they are not sending to other countries.

Sorry but China did cover this up for at least 2 months, they have lied about it, and that it hard to argue against when we all saw with our own eyes the speed at which they built the new hospitals and put nearly all the country in quarantine. They knew all along. And the fact these markets are back open again, selling and slaughtering live animals , just shows the countries ignorance and disrespect towards the rest of the world.

I doubt places like Italy will welcome back Chinese tourists any time soon.

What are you talking about? First of all, when things return to 'normal' (whatever that looks like), Italy are going to require all the tourism they can get in order to help restore their economy. They will take a day trip from a leper colony if needs be. Secondly, this being the civilised world still, most right-minded people don't blame travelling citizens for the actions of their government.

As for operating markets, if that's the case, China weren't realistically going to abolish centuries of tradition and industry in order to instantly appease the West. Just think of how much heckling it's taken people not to go too far for a jog in the United Kingdom. I don't think some old fella still selling his cattle in some distant province is attempting to show 'disrespect' to the rest of the world. Rather, he's just getting on with it.

If there's any reason to boycott China, which is an almost self-defeating and impossible decision to do entirely, it's in response to their appalling human rights record and arguably their contribution to global warming. Dogs in cages are small change in comparison.

Last edited:
Chinese government can't be trusted on both accounts then

I'm no fan of the Chinese government, but there's a difference between isolationist paranoia and scepticism. People are picking and choosing their own adventure with this stuff. Gary was all for the country's heavy-handed approach, curfews and such, just a few weeks ago. Now the same government are "disrespecting the rest of the world" by supposedly not enforcing their market ban? It's just nonsense. Everyone needs to maintain a level of perspective, alongside a 1.5m distance.

On a different matter, I just found this really interesting article comparing the economic impacts of the coronavirus and the 2008-09 financial crisis: https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-s...crisis-the-worse-economic-disaster/a-52802211

To tell you the truth, it did make me feel a little better. What it basically said is that this crisis will affect sectors such as aviation and oil most profoundly, but its economic effects should not end up being as long-lasting as those of the financial crisis.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...e-ex-Labour-leaders-78th.html#article-8165271

'This was NOT essential travel': Police blast MP Stephen Kinnock for going to his father Neil's house to celebrate the ex-Labour leader's 78th birthday

South Wales Police hit back, tweeting in reply on Sunday: 'Hello Stephen Kinnock, we know celebrating your Dad's birthday is a lovely thing to do, however this is not essential travel. We all have our part to play in this, we urge you to comply with government restrictions, they are in place to keep us all safe. Thank you. ^cy.'

To which Stephen replied an hour later: 'I felt that this was essential travel as I had to deliver some necessary supplies to my parents. I stayed long enough to sing 'happy birthday' to Dad, and then I was off. All the best, Stephen.'

The necessary supplies delivered by Stephen included a nutritious meal of lamb curry, a crumble and a birthday cake for the pair.

Not setting a very good example is he? Should have apologized also. We can all go around 'delivering essential supplies' to people when we feel like celebrating something or having a gathering. We're all supposed to be in this together now.

Gary was all for the country's heavy-handed approach, curfews and such, just a few weeks ago. Now the same government are "disrespecting the rest of the world" by supposedly not enforcing their market ban? It's just nonsense. Everyone needs to maintain a level of perspective, alongside a 1.5m distance.

Was I? I agreed with not going out unless people had to, but I dont recall saying I agreed with welding people shut in their houses and left to die. And agreeing to have some sort of curfew is somewhat different to the type of markets and behaviour being demonstrated yet again in China. And yes they are disrespecting the rest of the world. The virus apparently came from a wet food market where animals, some illegal, are held in god awful conditions, and then butchered in front of other animals, terrified of their fate watching it happen in front of them. Plenty of videos of it taking place can be found online if you want to watch them.

Disrespect because while Wuhan may be getting back to normal, its thanks to this type of market and total disregard for any type of animal welfare (let alone humans in China) that this pandemic which so far has killed in excess of 30,000 people around the world and will kill many more - yet the markets are back open and has China learnt anything from this? Nope. Will another pandemic happen again and originate from China thanks to this type of behaviour? Yes.

And yet the Western world and its people still pump their economy full of money, a lot of which gets spent on the military so wargames can take place aimed towards the same people funding them with countries like Iran and Russia. I mean, this country is technically an adversary to the west, yet we just keeping them money?!?!?!?!?!?

Anyway, China rant over, you want to keep funding their behaviours then go ahead.

As for the distance .... its 2m by the way, although apparently due to new studies that is still too short, and the correct distance should be at least 4m.

The animal welfare argument is nonsense. Western countries treat animals just as badly. People just get upset because it's dogs and cats rather than pigs, rats and chickens being treated like crap.

Hypocritical to the max.

The animal welfare argument is nonsense. Western countries treat animals just as badly. People just get upset because it's dogs and cats rather than pigs, rats and chickens being treated like crap.

Hypocritical to the max.

Name me a Western country which has live food markets, keeps animals is God awful conditions in overcrowded cages and kills them on the street? It's not nonsense at all. Whatever type of animal it is.

Most civilised countries have standards for animal welfare. The Chinese can't even have standards for human welfare, let alone animals. You only have to look at the Muslim brain washing camps and their record on human rights to see that. Animal welfare, human welfare..... apart from North Korea I can't think of any other country apart from China which treats living things so badly.

The last SARS came from animals and transferred to humans in China. Most animals on the verge of extinction are hunted to fulfill Chinese buyers requests for 'medicinal products'. They didn't learn then and they won't learn again.

But that's ok huh as long as we get our iPhones, 5G, cheap clothes and other crap.

SARS 3 next year then? .......

Tbf none of this would have happened if these live markets didn't exist. They should have been stopped after the SARs outbreak. Thousands of people have died now and the pressure will understandably be on China to put an end to it.

I just hope we don't see an increase in hate crimes against the Chinese over here and other western countries. I can see this being an issue in the US with Trump and his s**t stirring.