• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
I wouldn’t worry about the local lockdown in Leicester being broken, as apparently, police will be doing spot checks on all cars leaving the Leicester area: https://apple.news/A7z325BFCTAy1GwJlDclyhA
I wasn't worrying about it, but thanks :D

Apparently UPS management "would like to see everyone in UPS facilities* wearing masks from the 4th".
Seems some big companies are gearing up in support of mask wearing presumably in an attempt to increase building capacity.
*If I'm not mistaken it's already a requirement for a few operations (aka physical package handling) job roles.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Face coverings will be compulsory in Scottish shops from the 10th (with some exemptions for certain people). This will be quite the step change as last time I was in a shop I don't think anyone was wearing one.

In other news, the 5 mile limit for leisure travel will be lifted. I don't anybody was following this one anyway.

Judging by the comments on my local Facebook page it'll be a nightmare for anyone exempt from wearing a mask. So many stupid comments. Even more ridiculous when you remember that nobody was wearing one last week.

Judging by the comments on my local Facebook page it'll be a nightmare for anyone exempt from wearing a mask. So many stupid comments. Even more ridiculous when you remember that nobody was wearing one last week.
This is exactly why me who's excempt is planning on defaulting to aac to handle wearing a mask instead of risk social conflict for using an excemption.
Says a lot about society that aac is the easier option.

3 passengers (so far) boarded this bus without masks, the driver is promoting them..

Passenger #1
Driver to passenger: where's your mask
Passenger: I haven't got one
Driver: oh ok then just this once...

Passenger #2
Passenger: it's in my bag....

Passenger #3
(Same as #2 but actually got his mask out)

This is apparently the most enforcement we get, and that's with the driver having legal rights to kick passengers off (but not literally). I can't see how masks in public as some people are now suggesting could work.

3 passengers (so far) boarded this bus without masks, the driver is promoting them..

Passenger #1

Passenger #2

Passenger #3

This is apparently the most enforcement we get, and that's with the driver having legal rights to kick passengers off (but not literally). I can't see how masks in public as some people are now suggesting could work.

It’s not fair to expect drivers to enforce this rule though - at the end of the day they’re just that, drivers, they’re there to drive the bus. The amount of abuse they could get for, let’s say, ‘heavily encouraging’ someone to wear a mask is huge, and frankly why should they be put in that position?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s not fair to expect drivers to enforce this rule though - at the end of the day they’re just that, drivers, they’re there to drive the bus. The amount of abuse they could get for, let’s say, ‘heavily encouraging’ someone to wear a mask is huge, and frankly why should they be put in that position?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have you seen the responsibility the driver has under the operators licence. It is a fair bit, including safety of the passengers from other passengers.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

Passenger #1

Passenger #2

Passenger #3

Biggest change the driver could have done is just reply to passenger 2 and said "well get it out of the bag then". They could have asked passenger 1 to leave, but depending how full the bus is (and therefore the ability to attempt 2m distancing) it probably isn't worth the aggression. If it was a whole group then he could have refused to drive off and called the police if they refused to leave, but thats less worthwhile for one person.

Pretty much All bus and rail operators have told staff not to challenge. As it’s not the job of transport staff to enforce laws on mask wearing. The police enforce laws. There is too much of a risk of conflict and no Job is worth that.
There will always be those staff that wont be afraid to try through but you can bet the companies won’t back them up if it turned nasty.

I agree the mask rule is a good idea but in this country people have little consideration for other so its pointless as many will not follow it and nobody will challenge them on it out of fear. Thankfully, I am able to work from home so don't have to use public transport. Its such a different attitude in say Japan or Korea where people will happily wear masks to protect themselves and others while in crowded places.

I agree the mask rule is a good idea but in this country people have little consideration for other so its pointless as many will not follow it and nobody will challenge them on it out of fear. Thankfully, I am able to work from home so don't have to use public transport. Its such a different attitude in say Japan or Korea where people will happily wear masks to protect themselves and others while in crowded places.
Isn't the mask thing in Asian countries pre existing due to air pollution?

I believe so, though apparently in South Korea some people wore masks to cover their face as they didn't want to be seen without makeup.

Despite what the media suggested, when I was in Asia most people did not wear masks on transit. Some did, but most didn't.

yes and no.

Its also partly to do with SARS so they got used to wearing masks to help prevent the spread of disease. Also of course a simple surgical style mask or face covering will help prevent droplets leaving your mouth, lowering the transmission of disease, but it won't significantly filter out pollutants. So it depends on the type of mask/covering someone is wearing.

Pretty much All bus and rail operators have told staff not to challenge. As it’s not the job of transport staff to enforce laws on mask wearing. The police enforce laws. There is too much of a risk of conflict and no Job is worth that.
There will always be those staff that wont be afraid to try through but you can bet the companies won’t back them up if it turned nasty.
The local bus drivers has been told to challenge by reminding only.

The one i chatted with has had 4 well Dominic Cummings, 8 sod it and a f you. In one shift.

I didn't think he took the bus?
I know, it just goes to show people will defect to be allowed to do what they want.
In this instance 'i am going to say the name of someone in a position of trust, that broke rules not connected to this, so your request is invalid'

I know, it just goes to show people will defect to be allowed to do what they want.
In this instance 'i am going to say the name of someone in a position of trust, that broke rules not connected to this, so your request is invalid'

It just sounds so much like school children. But he did X so I can do Y!

Like most of the rules they rely on people to do the right thing rather than actual enforcement. Bus drivers and train guards can remind people to do the right thing, but you expect too much if you think they'll enforce it and chuck people off for not complying. Their training is about avoiding conflict, and let's face it, they don't get paid enough to risk verbal (and sometimes physical) assault.

As for face masks in Asian countries, I believe it's a cultural thing where they wear them when they have an infection (cold, flu etc) to reduce the risk of spreading it. It's laudable in many ways but runs counter to the UKs attitude of "I'm alright Jack".