• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
I’ve heard some mixed stories of yesterday. From people’s Snapchat stories (from the smaller town of Widnes and from the city of Nottingham), people seemed to be socially distant from other groups but were not making any attempt to be socially distant from members of the same party, even though they were from different households.

Again, this blame is down to the stupid and and confusing guidance from the government because I believe that they’ve clearly never abandoned the herd immunity strategy they were all so keen on in March. It’s easy for them to blame the people rather than themselves when it all goes wrong.

That being said, I had heard news last night of a few pubs in the Nottingham area that had closed early due to the fighting and unrest. I don’t know if pubs have been told they have to shut if this occurs but I guess it’s better than nothing.

I was always expecting that socially distancing rules would go out the window when shops and pubs reopened because they can never logically function with them in place.

It’s just a shame that I personally don’t feel comfortable going the pub any time soon (maybe in Widnes it won’t be too bad?) because I’d love nothing more than to have a sense of normality with my friends...

Drove through Runcorn last night on my way to Cheshire Oaks to have a nose at how many restaurants were open..... I'm shocked if Widnes was doing the right thing considering it's very similar in terms of demographic to Runcorn. Runcorn's Old Town was heaving, people spilling out of the smaller pubs, Wetherspoons had a queue outside, the Wine Bar next to it had a sign saying they were full.... it all looked pretty chaotic. And without being discriminating, it was the Saturday night crowd I would have expected to be out in Runcorn.

Moving through Frodsham (a place that has won awards for best kept town and best kept village, I've never figured out which was which) a lot of places were still shut, which I think is sensible. Some restaurants had diners, but some of the big bisto pubs were also closed. There were some pubs with people in, but I didn't see any scenes or groups of people outside like in Runcorn.

Cheshire Oaks, which has an outdoor retails complex and has lots of dining places, TGI Fridays were only open for click and collect. Nando's was empty, Five Guys were click and collect and also dine in, but it was empty. Las Iguanas, Zizzi, Chiquito...... 95% of the restaurants that had been closed through all of this were still closed.

I guess big chain groups need to think carefully about how they re-open. And I imagine most places did not want to open on Saturday which says more about their good sense than the government.

Overall, I'm not judging people if they want to go out and have a nice meal.... I hope places are going to cope better with that side of their business.... and I imagine not many people went out to drink last night with the intention of causing trouble. But I think if you're business at the moment can thrive on meals that come with a drink, rather than people just buying more and more from a bar, then maybe that's where the business should focus.

Because I'm sure some places lost business from diners last night who were concerned about the drinkers.

Well, last night was interesting living on the border with wales. 15 miles from wrexham, a hotspot for covid19.

The back road from wales had a up turn in vehicles including minibuses and a 32 seater coach.
Why the back road, The A483/A5 (main route) had police checks on it.

So far since 9am Saturday 9 wallets have been found with IDs that have wrexham and surrounding areas.

I am just waiting for a spike and local lockdown in my home town.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

Drove through Runcorn last night on my way to Cheshire Oaks to have a nose at how many restaurants were open..... I'm shocked if Widnes was doing the right thing considering it's very similar in terms of demographic to Runcorn. Runcorn's Old Town was heaving, people spilling out of the smaller pubs, Wetherspoons had a queue outside, the Wine Bar next to it had a sign saying they were full.... it all looked pretty chaotic. And without being discriminating, it was the Saturday night crowd I would have expected to be out in Runcorn.

Moving through Frodsham (a place that has won awards for best kept town and best kept village, I've never figured out which was which) a lot of places were still shut, which I think is sensible. Some restaurants had diners, but some of the big bisto pubs were also closed. There were some pubs with people in, but I didn't see any scenes or groups of people outside like in Runcorn.

Cheshire Oaks, which has an outdoor retails complex and has lots of dining places, TGI Fridays were only open for click and collect. Nando's was empty, Five Guys were click and collect and also dine in, but it was empty. Las Iguanas, Zizzi, Chiquito...... 95% of the restaurants that had been closed through all of this were still closed.

I guess big chain groups need to think carefully about how they re-open. And I imagine most places did not want to open on Saturday which says more about their good sense than the government.

Overall, I'm not judging people if they want to go out and have a nice meal.... I hope places are going to cope better with that side of their business.... and I imagine not many people went out to drink last night with the intention of causing trouble. But I think if you're business at the moment can thrive on meals that come with a drink, rather than people just buying more and more from a bar, then maybe that's where the business should focus.

Because I'm sure some places lost business from diners last night who were concerned about the drinkers.

Yeah, I’m not massively hopeful that it would be any better but I can dream...

I’m hoping to give it at least 2 weeks before I even consider going the pub because that may give a sign of if the infection rate is on the up again. If it is then I’m still staying far away

Cycled 20 miles down the grand Union canal and we ended up in a couple of pubs that had spare tables outdoors. Everyone was well behaved and social distancing was observed all round apart from in the gents toilets.

Was pleasantly surprised, but I'm in no rush to be back in the pubs regularly.

I went to my local tap room yesterday, all very civilised and socially distant. From speaking to those working yesterday in the towns the vast majority of what went on was sensible and as it should be, a very few minority as ever were being irresponsible. They'll be the same people who have been irresponsible throughout, now they're just doing it more publicly.

I'm pretty bored of people saying the government advice isn't clear enough and using it to excuse for those flouting the rules. It is still bloody obvious what the rues are, they are simple and have been clearly communicated if you listen to the advice the government give rather than thinking randomers on social media is the best place for information. If you've read the rules and don't understand them I'm afraid you are a halfwit.

Do you have a sense of how much people are adhering to the local lockdown in your area?

I live one mile outside of the lockdown area, but from what I have seen over the weekend public places and parks in Leicester seem to have been very quiet. So that is good. I just hope that the majority of people and businesses in Leicester are taking it seriously, as it would appear many have not, hence the position that the city finds itself in.

No, I think they have always downplayed it, but people have said from the very beginning that it was airborne, why else would they be spraying disinfectant into the air in Wuhan. We all remember seeing those large tracks driving in convoy through the streets at night.

So - if you have a facemask and need to go anywhere in doors - wear it.

This will provide doubt that even keeping 1 or 2m away from others will stop transmission, particularly in enclosed spaces...

No one ever said it stops transmission, it was and is only a measure to reduce the likelihood of transmission. It wont stop it, it's just a workable balance between risk and freedom.

There's never been any doubt it's airborne either, that's the point of the distance and face coverings as people expell it through the mouth and nose.

The only difference they're talking about is the size of the particles the virus is on and how long they remain airborne, making a relatively small increased likelihood of transmission over a greater distance/time. Bit if a non-story really.

I always thought it was airborne as well.

What I never agreed with was the amazing simulation of that guy sneezing in a supermarket and how it looked like a toxic green mushroom cloud that projected itself over the height of a supermarket aisle (which generally are taller than the average person) spread along the top of shelves down into the neighbouring aisles and also into his own aisle.

That is one heck of a sneeze.

I still can't quite fathom how in 2020, there is debate how far particles from a sneeze or cough can travel. Surely there must be some liquid that would turn your snotty droplets blue or something, get you to sniff some pepper and hey presto, measure it.

I also don't understand how simply breathing is an issue. If you put your hand in front of your face it's not long before you can't feel it, and if you add something like a piece of paper, you have to huff pretty hard to get it to move if it's a fair distance away.

I would say for future reference, instead of people counting streetlamps in Sheffield or how to make the perfect piece of toast, on a quiet day the scientists or students or universities could maybe study things like this.

I always thought it was airborne as well.

What I never agreed with was the amazing simulation of that guy sneezing in a supermarket and how it looked like a toxic green mushroom cloud that projected itself over the height of a supermarket aisle (which generally are taller than the average person) spread along the top of shelves down into the neighbouring aisles and also into his own aisle.

That is one heck of a sneeze.

I still can't quite fathom how in 2020, there is debate how far particles from a sneeze or cough can travel. Surely there must be some liquid that would turn your snotty droplets blue or something, get you to sniff some pepper and hey presto, measure it.

I also don't understand how simply breathing is an issue. If you put your hand in front of your face it's not long before you can't feel it, and if you add something like a piece of paper, you have to huff pretty hard to get it to move if it's a fair distance away.

I would say for future reference, instead of people counting streetlamps in Sheffield or how to make the perfect piece of toast, on a quiet day the scientists or students or universities could maybe study things like this.
Adding extra stuff to the nasal cavity to make it more visible is going to effect any results.

80% of positive cases have no symptoms.

Only 6% of population have had it so far - seriously?

They were saying there would be about 1,000 cases for every death initially. That would equate to over 70% of the population if true.

80% of positive cases have no symptoms.
That's not quite correct. It's 80% of positive cases had no symptoms on the day of their test, i.e. these people were tested before the symptoms came on a few days later. This figure isn't the number of asymptomatic cases (people who show no symptoms at all) which I think is in the single figure percentage.
Only 6% of population have had it so far - seriously?

They were saying there would be about 1,000 cases for every death initially. That would equate to over 70% of the population if true.
I believe the death rate for Covid 19 is around 1%, not 1 in 1000.

The population of the UK is 63 million, so if 6% have had it that's 3,780,000 infections, and if 1% of those died that's 37,800 deaths. That's still less than the official figure, currently at 44,500, so either the infection rate is higher than 6% or the death rate is higher than 1%.

Current antibody tests where I work suggest around 6% of people have had it. However I was reading tonight that some people in Spain who caught it, recovered, had detectable antibodies now don't have antibodies. It indicates they may only last for a few weeks.

https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-...06-20-intl/h_72de9291960bd14c6479ef417741320d

As for the virus being airborne, I think what they haven't told us is that the particles can linger in the air even when the infected person has left the area.

Remember antibodies aren't everything and it's possible/probable that some have a T-Cell response, which could be more long lasting.

Antibody testing is soo flaky and inconsistent that it's hard to draw any real conclusions at the minute. It also stands to reason that it's unlikely herd immunity will work unless we do develop (or at least 70% of the population does) an immunity

Run-DMC (not that the rappers) on YouTube is a fellow long-hauler like me but unlike me he's a man of science qualifications! He's doing some good work in breaking down recent reports and putting it out there for the layman such as myself.

These videos go a long way to explaining why antibodies is a poor metric, heavily skewed by the fact that mainly the desperately ill or key workers are being tested.

Had a stay booked at Premier Inn Hanley for 25th July for Towers trip, they’ve just been in touch to cancel the booking and hotel is closed with immediate effect for minimum 14 days.

While it wasn’t said it was due to a COVID case the timing of 14 days closed hints at it.