• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
Well, it was always going to happen at some point. After submitting my symptoms once on the symptom tracker app being done in conjunction with King's College London, I got an email this morning suggesting I get tested. So off I went to the bet365 stadium earlier this afternoon once I'd booked online. Very poor signage to get there, as in there was none until the stadium was right in front of me. I would've thought there'd at least be some from the A50, if not the A500! The place was laid out pretty well, in its defence. As for the testing itself? The nose swab was just a bit tickly, but the throat one was one of the most unpleasant things I've done in years. Nearly gagged, but Mum had prewarned me that this was likely. :p Now to just sit tight and wait for the result, which I'm hoping will come through before I'm due to go to work tomorrow.

Just spoke to my friend yesterday who works in healthcare and had a meeting with pfizer. Pfizer said that they are only expecting vulnerable to be vaccinated and wider population are unlikely to ever be offered the vaccine, that’s what they are working towards as a company. They have also said anyone immunocompromised will be unable to take the vaccine.

Pfizer are only one company and their vaccine is difficult to distribute, I wouldn’t expect the Pfizer vaccine to get wide roll out.

Well, it was always going to happen at some point. After submitting my symptoms once on the symptom tracker app being done in conjunction with King's College London, I got an email this morning suggesting I get tested. So off I went to the bet365 stadium earlier this afternoon once I'd booked online. Very poor signage to get there, as in there was none until the stadium was right in front of me. I would've thought there'd at least be some from the A50, if not the A500! The place was laid out pretty well, in its defence. As for the testing itself? The nose swab was just a bit tickly, but the throat one was one of the most unpleasant things I've done in years. Nearly gagged, but Mum had prewarned me that this was likely. :p Now to just sit tight and wait for the result, which I'm hoping will come through before I'm due to go to work tomorrow.
I'm from Newcastle Under Lyme so when I had to go for a test I went to the Bet365 and thought the same! I guess they assume it's only super local people going there but that isn't the case!

I'm from Newcastle Under Lyme so when I had to go for a test I went to the Bet365 and thought the same! I guess they assume it's only super local people going there but that isn't the case!
I was basically the same distance from two test centres - the bet365, and one in Winsford. Winsford is closer by less than 2 miles, but would involve going on the M6. bet365 won because I knew the way there & back pretty well. Though I took a wrong turning on my way back and headed eastbound alongside the A50 thanks to the poor signage. :p

Who says the under 50's are very unlikely to get the vaccine???
They are lower down the queue, and rightly so, but that means waiting, not that they won't get it.

There’s a simple answer to that, cost.
To roll out to the under 50’s will be horrendous expensive and once the expected drop in hospitalisations happens after the older ages have been vaccinated then expect a sudden drop off of the vaccination program as things slowly return to normal, they will blame something or other but believe me that’s what will happen.
Mark my words if your under 50 and healthy you’ve got no chance of receiving a COVID vaccine unless you pay for it privately, same as the flu jab.
All of these restrictions have never ever been about saving lives, it’s always been about stopping hospitals being overwhelmed, if you really think the government care whether you live or die you are mistaken.

There is a simple answer to that...cobblers.
I will mark your words, and I simply don't believe you.
What actual evidence do you have for what you say?

How can you have evidence for an opinion? I’m entitled to one the same as you are, not everything can be evidence based you sometimes have to use precedence.
To get a flu vaccine free you have to be over 50, why wouldn’t the same be for Covid-19 once there is no longer an medical emergency?
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/free-flu-vaccinations-rolled-out-to-over-50s-from-december

I can see where @BigT is coming from, to be fair; the reason that these restrictions were imposed was in order to control hospital admissions and ensure that hospitals weren’t overwhelmed. Think back to during lockdown 1.0, when the government’s TV catchphrase was “stay home, protect the NHS, save lives”. A lot of emphasis has been placed upon ensuring that healthcare systems do not become overwhelmed.

Also, you may remember that swine flu spread in 2009, and was technically considered a pandemic at the time. However, no restrictions were ever imposed. The key reason for this? Hospital admissions and deaths were at a level that the health service could cope with without the need for further intervention, so nothing was ever imposed.

While saving lives is obviously a very important reason for these restrictions, the key reason is in order to prevent the health service from being overwhelmed.

On this topic, Matt Hancock has now indicated that all COVID restrictions could be lifted once 50% of the population has been vaccinated: https://apple.news/AXHy5lRkHQFuuoEtjbS7OFg

So that would mean that theoretically, no one who isn’t a care worker, over 50 or vulnerable will necessarily have to get the vaccine.

That is about lifting social contact restrictions Matt, not stopping the vaccination programme.
And nobody has to take the vaccine, though, in my humble opinion, they would be foolish to refuse it.

For the record I know plenty of people under 50 who have got the flu vaccine for free. All of them have done so through work, so you could technically say it's being paid for. However there are a lot of big companies running these schemes this year to help keep there work force healthy. So I'd guess there is quite a big percentage of the population able to get the flu vaccine without personaly paying for it.
I suspect the same will be true for the Covid vaccine if only certain groups can get it for free. Employers don't want to loose big chunks of their work force just because 1 employee tests positive.

As for the testing itself? The nose swab was just a bit tickly, but the throat one was one of the most unpleasant things I've done in years. Nearly gagged, but Mum had prewarned me that this was likely.

Theres a joke here somewhere , but I'm not gonna make it. :laughing::laughing:

Anyone who tries to talk with any authority or certainly on how the vaccine will be rolled out is a bit silly seeing as that's a long way from know or decided even by those actually making the decisions.

Great to see confirmation today that those who've kept the country running at great risk to themselves and their families are getting rewarded with a pay freeze. Cheers!

There’s a simple answer to that, cost.
To roll out to the under 50’s will be horrendous expensive and once the expected drop in hospitalisations happens after the older ages have been vaccinated then expect a sudden drop off of the vaccination program as things slowly return to normal, they will blame something or other but believe me that’s what will happen.
Mark my words if your under 50 and healthy you’ve got no chance of receiving a COVID vaccine unless you pay for it privately, same as the flu jab.
All of these restrictions have never ever been about saving lives, it’s always been about stopping hospitals being overwhelmed, if you really think the government care whether you live or die you are mistaken.

The reason the flu jab is limited is more down to its short useful impact time than cost. The flu variant circulating changes so rapidly that by the time you have vaccinated the vulnerable, winter is over and the strains shift next season.

As it stands that’s not the case with this virus. What will define the distribution of the vaccine is less cost and more how long immunity lasts, if it’s only short then the under 50’s won’t get vaccinated as you will have to restart the vulnerable vaccination each winter, if it’s longer then you vaccinate more of the population to protect those who can’t be vaccinated.

At the moment we don’t know how long vaccine induced immunity lasts (we still don’t have a clear picture on how long naturally induced immunity lasts).

The BBC are reporting that tier 3 will include Manchester, Hull, Newcastle, Nottingham, Birmingham, Wolverhampton and Kent.

There may be others but nobody can get the lookup tool to work at the moment :rolleyes: