• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
A 4 week lockdown was never going to be long enough with infection levels as high as they were. And the original teir 1 and 2 restrictions were not enough to bring the R below 1. Tier 3 restrictions did appear to be working.

So I am not surprised that all of the tiers have strengthened restrictions, and that there are far more tier 3 areas. If people do stick to the rules between now and Christmas then infection levels should continue to fall in tier 3 areas and hopefully tier 2 areas.

Aye, just got to hope that levels fall enough so that Christmas mingling does not have a significant impact on infection levels. But I am skeptical!

I'd be shocked if there were not more national restrictions in January or February.

Tier 3 for Staffordshire is bad news for Alton Towers. They won't be able to open the hotel for Santa Sleepovers.

just got to hope that levels fall enough so that Christmas mingling does not have a significant impact on infection levels
Oh it will for sure. The whole relaxation of the rules over Christmas is frankly a ridiculous notion.

Last edited:
Not surprised the majority are in tier 3 tbh. We'll just have to wait and see how it pans out. I can't see this "two week review" really making a difference, I think the majority will move tiers in January. It is what it I guess.

Government: "The North West can revert back to Tier 2, unless your mayor happens to be Andy Burnham. May that man and all those who live within his remit rot in hell".

I think the ones who are going to be worse affected in tier 3 situations is the hospitality business. The most profitable time of year and forced to close must be the worst for many hospitality owners. Unless I’ve read wrong I’m pretty sure they can’t even open on Christmas Day even then if they could reopen for one day with limited bookings due to social distancing it wouldn’t be worthwhile for many businesses. I’ll be interested to see how many can actually survive going into the new year after losing Christmas and new year.

A 4 week lockdown was never going to be long enough with infection levels as high as they were.

I don't think the 4 week period was the problem. It's the fact that it wasn't actually anything like a lockdown. Everyone and everything has pretty much carried on as they were for the preceding few months apart from some mainly smaller shops and gyms being closed. It was never going to achieve a lot, which was mentioned on here as soon as the restrictions were announced. It's just a waste of time and money.

Last edited:
With how busy work's been over the past few weeks, you honestly wouldn't think we were supposed to be in lockdown. People have just been carrying on as normal, not really seeming to care about the supposedly tighter rules.

With how busy work's been over the past few weeks, you honestly wouldn't think we were supposed to be in lockdown. People have just been carrying on as normal, not really seeming to care about the supposedly tighter rules.

Yep I was in a shopping centre (popped in to get M&S food) and large numbers of people were sat on the small number of benches that could not be removed eating their "takeaway" food.
I think a lot of people are oblivious to the higher risk of transmission indoors and selfish.

Sorry to be a bit pessimistic but i really do think this virus has brought out the worst in many people. Either that or it has highlighted the sheer amount of selfish/arrogant/un-sympathetic individuals we already had in the country. I include the doorstep sellers, who are trying to get you to switch [Insert utility here]. I have had three of them knock on my door. One during the first lockdown and two during this lockdown. None of them wore masks, all of them stood directly on my doorstep and wouldn't budge until i had to tell them to literally eff off (I was politely declining up until that point and they were not having it). I am aware that this is their job, but they are literally the scum of the earth, allowing this to continue when there was a lockdown. It's bad enough when there isn't a lockdown. Something needs to be done about doorstep sellers. This is my own private space, if i want to change Broadband, i will do it in my own time.

I don't think the 4 week period was the problem. It's the fact that it wasn't actually anything like a lockdown. Everyone and everything has pretty much carried on as they were for the preceding few months apart from some mainly smaller shops and gyms being closed. It was never going to achieve a lot, which was mentioned on here as soon as the restrictions were announced. It's just a waste of time and money.

I disagree. Rates are now falling in the vast majority of local authority areas and should continue to do so for the next week or two at the very least. The level of infection is still high but reducing contact between households has definitely had an impact.

If you wanted to get rates down faster then yes, you would need a more severe lockdown.