• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
As long as the protein spike on the virus stays within the variance of the vaccine, it will be fine.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

Couldn't get anywhere near the actual article from the number of pop ups. As long as we continue to move on with life now and don't go back into restrictions. Otherwise there was no point in vacinations.

Honestly I think I'd just top myself rather than have to go back into another lockdown, I mean what's the point?? Hopefully won't be necessary...

Small numbers at the moment but looks like we might have a new kid on the block

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ound-in-south-africa-has-concerning-mutations

It’s not made it into the WHO variant of interest or concern list yet, and it’s been around since May and hasn’t out-paced Delta.

We are going to keep getting these pop up all the time and because news reports of new variants have become big reads they are being used as click bait for news sites to get advertising revenue. That’s not to say it couldn’t become a variant of interest or concern we can’t stress about every new variant that pops up.

The vaccines are holding up very well, indeed the affinity for the vaccine to bind to delta is still very good, the breakthrough infections are now thought to be due to how fast delta hits the body rather than any biological vaccine escape. So for the moment vaccination is still doing it’s job.

Is anyone else concerned though that numbers are on the rise as are deaths and hospitalisations. And the number of double jabbed people getting ill is increasing? Says to me that we need to get the boosters out now to get through winter

The Cornwall surf festival has spread the virus very quickly among the under 25's, who are more mobile and "huggy" than most.
Summer over at midnight, back to school will mean more restrictions before long I think.

Is anyone else concerned though that numbers are on the rise as are deaths and hospitalisations. And the number of double jabbed people getting ill is increasing? Says to me that we need to get the boosters out now to get through winter

I think the boosters are due to start soon but it will only likely be for vulnerable people who may have waning immunity as the reason we are getting breakthrough infections in the double jabbed is less to do with a loss of antibodies and more to do with how fast delta invades the upper respiratory system so boosters won’t help much with that.

Should reduce hospitalisation though.

I think the boosters are due to start soon but it will only likely be for vulnerable people who may have waning immunity as the reason we are getting breakthrough infections in the double jabbed is less to do with a loss of antibodies and more to do with how fast delta invades the upper respiratory system so boosters won’t help much with that.

Should reduce hospitalisation though.
Also they're doing 16-18 year olds jabs which help as well.

An interesting fact that I didn’t know, the other 4 coronavirus’s that circulate in the human population have an endemic equilibrium of around 45000 cases a day. In other words assuming the population is vaccinated to avoid severe illness we should expect a similar case rate for Covid-19 once the virus moves from being pandemic to endemic (which is a certainty now).

It does seem that we may need to stop routine testing and just test those who become seriously unwell once immunity to severe illness is established across the population. Otherwise we are going to constantly obsess over a viral disease spreading at a similar rate to existing virus’s we have lived with for years.

If people get their vaccines we would reach this situation far faster but there you go.

An interesting fact that I didn’t know, the other 4 coronavirus’s that circulate in the human population have an endemic equilibrium of around 45000 cases a day. In other words assuming the population is vaccinated to avoid severe illness we should expect a similar case rate for Covid-19 once the virus moves from being pandemic to endemic (which is a certainty now).

It does seem that we may need to stop routine testing and just test those who become seriously unwell once immunity to severe illness is established across the population. Otherwise we are going to constantly obsess over a viral disease spreading at a similar rate to existing virus’s we have lived with for years.

If people get their vaccines we would reach this situation far faster but there you go.
Won’t immunity to severe illness be gained once all of the younger children have been vaccinated, as well as when the more vulnerable groups have been “re-vaccinated”?

Isn’t the hope that COVID eventually mutates to be more contagious and less severe?

I think this is what they are moving too. As the new rules came in a few weeks ago if you are a close contact you are only advised to get tested and are not required. Eventually I presume they won't even advise it as they begin to take down some of the testing sights so that we can have our car parks back.

The Covid beast continues to wreak havoc across education. Of course, schools and childcare settings are now *the* places where the least number of individuals are protected against the virus, and thus like wildfire it spreads. Since returning at the start of the year, we've had more cases than at any stage since it all started. An outbreak and moving to both online *and* in person teaching at the same time. Sunday morning was spent firefighting and communicating.

Grow me a third arm.

:(

The store had over 20% absence last week due to positive cases. For comparison, a bad week is over 3% in normal times. That's basically back to how it was the begining of last year with shielding and symptoms. Only this time this is actually real positive cases as opposed to suspected or shielding and there's no pool of people looking for work. In fact, the complete opposite. 10 people invited to interview last week, only 1 turned up.

It's clearly everywhere now. My partner is a Childminder and miraculously, to our knowledge anyway, it's never entered the house.

So all the papers are reporting that the government is scrapping all Covid restriction legislation bar mask mandates.

The general consensus is this is the new normal, I suspect they will stop community testing around March next year and just have people test if they come into hospital with it.

"We're following the science".
"Are we doing vaccine passports?"
"No, vaccine passports are very Un-British".

To be honest vaccine passports won’t help anymore, the delta variant has such a high reproduction rate that the vaccines are not going to stop it spreading. The only thing we can do is use the vaccines to bring down the severity of the illness and allow the virus to become endemic, theoretically every time you encounter the virus it should become less severe.

Good news on the vaccine front; apparently fully vaccinated people made up a mere 1.2% of COVID-19 deaths in the first seven months of 2021: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...le-account-for-12-of-englands-covid-19-deaths

Even more promising is that only 0.5% of deaths were deaths that occurred where the person’s first positive PCR test was more than 14 days after their second dose of COVID vaccine.

Very promising, don’t you think?

In other news, a booster program has today been announced for the top 9 priority groups (basically, anyone who’s 50 and older, or anyone who’s vulnerable or has a condition that increases risk), with third doses aiming to be delivered around 6 months after the second dose. A vaccination program for 12-15 year olds has also been announced, with the intention being to start as soon as next Wednesday (22nd September).

50% of my class are now out with positive Coronavirus tests.

Honestly, the stress at work is unreal.
Sorry to ask but I'm just interested. Do you work in primary or secondary as they seem to have completely different ways of dealing with it at the moment? Some schools are doing rapid tests in class, some aren't. Do you think bubbles would make more sense again? Do you think they should be reintroduced for winter? How many people are wearing masks (anywhere in schools, not necessarily in classrooms as I imagine its difficult to teach a class full of masks)?
From my experiences at college so far they seem so relaxed and to be honest it does concern me slightly. I seem like the only one wearing my mask.