• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Could Scotland sustain a theme park?

QTXAdsy

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Black Hole
If some of you remember my ramblings back on TT, you will know that I would moan about Scotland being terrible in terms of having a theme park (not even RCT3 would help me calm my nerves.) But really, with only M&D's being the unlikable flagship park for Scotland, a place that makes Flamingland look like Europa Park! :p but could Scotland really have a true proper theme park?

I'm not expecting something like TS' favourite certain German park, more along the lines Gardaland or something not too big. Had Loudoun Castle not have an unfortunate demise and had gone on with some yearly investment, it might've been that certain park that would make the Scottish coaster enthusiasts happy. Sadly though the only that does get built in Scotland is bloody wind turbines everywhere across the open spaces. ::)

So really, is it possible for Scotland to turn over a leaf and shake off it's bad coaster image?

With a population of 5 1/4m I am not sure. The only way I could see them creating something that has real lasting presence, is to get relatively near to the North English borders with a mid investment style portfolio.

I do find it strange though, that Wales has a couple tucked away - but Scotland only has one very small one.

Loudoun Castle is stunning from the pictures I have seen, it is a shame that place never developed.

A bit of a theme park anomaly for me this one.

I don't think the following things would help:
-climate
-transport links and availability
-local economic issues
-Where to locate

Truth be known I don't see it happening. There's just not a good enough reason for it to happen.

It'd probably be easier to sustain a decent theme park in Scotland than Cornwall, that's for sure. :p

Jonathan said:
It'd probably be easier to sustain a decent theme park in Scotland than Cornwall, that's for sure. :p

How? Cornwall is a big tourist place that is accessible to practically the whole country, Scotland has miserable weather and is full of Scots.

Bear said:
Jonathan said:

How? Cornwall is a big tourist place that is accessible to practically the whole country, Scotland has miserable weather and is full of Scots.

Stuck up English sort! :p

So many small to medium parks in England are really struggling at the moment. Building any new park would be a major risk, let alone building it in a sparesly populated area with freakin awful weather. :/

The only place where it would have a chance would be near Edinburgh. I could be sold on a long weekend up there what with the Zoo, Dungeons and a medium sized theme park. Also the only place in Scotland with good air/rail links.

QTXAdsy said:
I'm not expecting something like TS' favourite certain German park, more along the lines Gardaland or something not too big.

You've obviously not been to Gardaland before... ;) It's alot bigger than most people think, and has some pretty expensive and awesome looking theming in places. It also gets more visitors than Towers does every year, and is Merlin's most visited theme park. So that might be a bit optimistic for a Scottish park :p

Maybe something more along the lines of Lightwater Valley or the late Camelot would be the right sort of size for a Scottish park, Loudoun Castle ticked all the boxes for a nice little park, and I spent a lot of my childhood going there. Shame it closed really :(

I have been to Gardaland you know, and to me, that's my idea of a normal park. :p

I don't believe that Scotland could sustain anything approaching the size of Gardaland. The population is too small and thinly spread and you'd struggle to attract enough southern pansies customers this far north. Alton's strength lies in its location with it being accessible to such a high percentage of the UK's population.

It doesn't mean that a Scottish theme park is impossible though; interestingly Denmark has a similar population to Scotland and yet Tivoli Gardens attracts over 3 million guests a year. I wonder if a setup like Tivoli in Edinburgh could work with it being a tourist city. If not that then just a small but twee characterful park.

Still, it could be worse, we could be in Ireland. They have one thing resembling a major rollercoaster and it doesn't even stay in one place.

QTXAdsy said:
I have been to Gardaland you know, and to me, that's my idea of a normal park. :p

Really? Jeez, I thought it was huge when I went, was quite surprised :)

With the respond of any chance of a theme park being built in Scotland being lukewarm, I could see one being built near Edinburgh (not a big place of course), though every wide open space in Scotland is taken over by house or wind turbines. :/ There is a lot of people I know who aren't enthusiasts like us that all say Loudoun Castle was far better than M&D's and are quite sad about it's passing. It's closure was probably the longest suicide note in Scottish theme park history (if there ever was!)

That being said, I'm not expecting something world class, heck, I'd even welcome a Flamingoland park up here any day! Shocked are we? Well, you certainly have no idea about what a bad park is when you go to M&D's :p

That place makes Flamingoland look like Europa Park! :p