• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Crinkley Bottom Cricket St Thomas

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Hi guys. While it’s probably one of the lesser known defunct UK theme parks these days, I’m led to believe we have quite a few people on here who grew up in the UK in the 1990s, or were more generally around in the UK in the 1990s for that matter, and know about Mr Blobby and Crinkley Bottom in Cricket St Thomas, Somerset. So I was intrigued to know; did anyone ever visit this park in the brief period it operated? And if so, what did you think?

I must say it’s a park that looks intriguing, and quite a strange one to imagine as someone who wasn’t alive in the 1990s. As someone who mainly knows Noel Edmunds as the host of Channel 4’s Deal or No Deal, I can never imagine him being a big celebrity with a huge TV show and theme park like that, but him and Mr Blobby were apparently huge in the 1990s!

I mainly posted this thread, though, because I’m currently staying in a lodge complex in Chard that’s only around a mile’s walk from the former site of Crinkley Bottom. As such, my dad and I took a walk down there today to see what we could find, and while the site is now a Warner hotel and no longer looks remotely theme park-like, like most other stately homes in Britain, there are still a few little oddities there to find if you know where to look. I mostly took pictures of stuff that I thought looked vaguely theme park-y, and like it could have been part of Crinkley Bottom, but having consulted a Crinkley Bottom park map and looked online after getting back to our lodge, I actually wasn’t far off. I did take a few photos that I thought might be of interest to you guys.

For reference, here’s the map me and my dad used, as a point of reference:
0-E718585-8-EFF-4-D4-F-A2-E3-C48751-C7-BD8-B.png

(Credit to dunblobbin.com for this image: https://www.dunblobbin.com/park-map)

Firstly, here are a few oddities I found that looked like they might have been from when it was a wildlife park:
46-BF9-D54-7554-4-A94-8-CF2-B2954-C07-B39-E.jpg

7-D513-CDE-6-A0-E-4-A43-B0-D2-8-F9-BC44-E6-E81.jpg

And then we came to what was unmistakably the former railway bridge:
A5-C50-F8-D-710-A-40-B1-9-FBE-0514063-EDDF8.jpg

And I also photographed this building that was apparently home to the Animals of Farthing Wood attraction according to the map:
F83-B1450-4013-4295-B073-F8-A0-EA93882-B.jpg

After that, we crossed what was marked as the Flamingo bridge on the park map, walked along the former railway line, and walked back to the other side along the Crinkley Bridge, at which point I photographed a distinctly colourful looking building, which I later ascertained was the Crinkley Bottom Art Gallery, with what looked like the Extremely Nice Thingy Shop next to it (possibly not in the photograph):
3-BF8-EBDE-0227-432-E-921-E-21-F57-C1-ED1-D5.jpg

(It looked more colourful and stood out more in person… I was zoomed in a lot here)

We then came to the Holey Tree, listed on the park map:
5-B59-CC34-07-A2-4-FB5-A2-C0-975567-CBD4-E0.jpg

And finally, we then took a walk up to Cricket House itself:
B7-C6-BFEE-21-DB-45-C2-B8-C5-A34-FD6669608.jpg

But that’s not all! As it turns out, the very track we walked down to get there used to be the track for the safari (which you can see once you know that was the case), and we also saw a tunnel that used to be Mr Blobby’s Lair, supposedly! (I didn’t photograph that because my dad thought it looked too new to be part of the park)

So I definitely had a very productive and interesting afternoon here in Chard; I hope you like my photos of remnants of this slightly more obscure piece of UK theme park history! Did anyone ever get to visit this interesting attraction, or do you remember it?

Last edited:
Sorry to double post, but for those who have absolutely no idea of what I’m talking about, here’s a documentary by Expedition Theme Park, for a bit more info on what Crinkley Bottom actually was:

I went once and I think it also had a second theme park. I was very young but I remember the professor burps bubble works style ride! I do remember it was extremely busy but for the cost it was more of a zoo than a theme park.

Mr b was huge! Everyone had birthday cakes with him and if any of you watch Ant and Decs Saturday night takeaway think of Noels House Party being a version of that on steroids! Far superior! They even had a multi level gunge ride that would go though the house on TV! It was quite a spectacular show technically.

Audience members seats would actually go down into a different set at times and it really did capture kids imagination's. Ant and Decs looks cheap compared to it but I'm not surprised how popular the show was which fed into the park.

I’ve been on that water ride that’s now at Watermouth castle!

I never went to this theme park, didn’t even know of its existence until a few years back but it always makes me smile when I think of it. Mr Blobby was very… unique, very 90’s. Popular but not popular enough for a whole theme park in his name. Not sure why Noel thought it would be a good idea.

Parts of the Crinkly Bottom Theme Park still live on. The Tv’s Family Favourites Water Ride is now at Watermouth Castle in North Devon with a couple of the Props and The Carousel is at Crealy Theme Park in Devon. Even one of the Asian Elephants is still alive in a Zoo abroad. I never visited this Theme Park but would have loved to. I was born in November 1999 and loved Mr Blobby and Noddy who was also featured. I even bought a Mr Blobby Cassette on EBay a few Months ago. My Parents tell me that we visited Dobwalls when I was younge,although I was to young to remembe.

I’ve been on that water ride that’s now at Watermouth castle!

I never went to this theme park, didn’t even know of its existence until a few years back but it always makes me smile when I think of it. Mr Blobby was very… unique, very 90’s. Popular but not popular enough for a whole theme park in his name. Not sure why Noel thought it would be a good idea.
No Mr Bobby was huge. Up with Thunderbirds and turtles at the time! Cakes, #1 songs and even his own cartoon show.. Mrs blobby and baby blobby. Good the hear the ride lives on. It is the same as the bubble works system?

Hello

Long time without posting here. But I did actually go to this park. Granted I would have been about 7 years old at the time so my recollection is limited.

My memory of the place is probably limited to the following three recollections:
  1. There was very little to do, and we did not stay long before leaving
  2. It was not very busy on the day we went, in fact you could say it was a ghost town
  3. The only ride I remember is "TV family favourites". As far as I remember, the rest of the place was extremely dull.
I do however have quite a strong recollection of the TV boat ride. Because the park was dead, and it seemed to be the only thing worth doing, we rode it several times. The parents went and sat somewhere, and my older teenage cousins took me around on it with them several times.

As no one else was really around, led by my teenage cousins, we actually got off the boats, and played around in the sets. I was only 7, so this seemed extremely cool/fun to me at the time, and they helped me in/out of the boat. There were no other visitors about, every boat was empty, so we could easily climb in and out of them all. There was a recreation of the magic roundabout in one of the sets, and I remember my cousin sitting on one of the carousel horses. They definitely briefed me on the fact I was NOT to tell our parents about what we had been doing.

Anyway, hope someone finds my vague recollections interesting. It was a long time ago, and I was very young! These days I'd be pretty annoyed if I saw someone's kids playing around in the sets of a dark ride, and wonder where the parents are! Particular since it was a boat ride there was a real health and safety risk too, if one of us and fallen in the trench. But I don't think we lived in such a strict "health and safety" in the mid 90s.

Hi guys. While it’s probably one of the lesser known defunct UK theme parks these days, I’m led to believe we have quite a few people on here who grew up in the UK in the 1990s, or were more generally around in the UK in the 1990s for that matter, and know about Mr Blobby and Crinkley Bottom in Cricket St Thomas, Somerset. So I was intrigued to know; did anyone ever visit this park in the brief period it operated? And if so, what did you think?

I must say it’s a park that looks intriguing, and quite a strange one to imagine as someone who wasn’t alive in the 1990s. As someone who mainly knows Noel Edmunds as the host of Channel 4’s Deal or No Deal, I can never imagine him being a big celebrity with a huge TV show and theme park like that, but him and Mr Blobby were apparently huge in the 1990s!

I mainly posted this thread, though, because I’m currently staying in a lodge complex in Chard that’s only around a mile’s walk from the former site of Crinkley Bottom. As such, my dad and I took a walk down there today to see what we could find, and while the site is now a Warner hotel and no longer looks remotely theme park-like, like most other stately homes in Britain, there are still a few little oddities there to find if you know where to look. I mostly took pictures of stuff that I thought looked vaguely theme park-y, and like it could have been part of Crinkley Bottom, but having consulted a Crinkley Bottom park map and looked online after getting back to our lodge, I actually wasn’t far off. I did take a few photos that I thought might be of interest to you guys.

For reference, here’s the map me and my dad used, as a point of reference:
0-E718585-8-EFF-4-D4-F-A2-E3-C48751-C7-BD8-B.png

(Credit to dunblobbin.com for this image: https://www.dunblobbin.com/park-map)

Firstly, here are a few oddities I found that looked like they might have been from when it was a wildlife park:
46-BF9-D54-7554-4-A94-8-CF2-B2954-C07-B39-E.jpg

7-D513-CDE-6-A0-E-4-A43-B0-D2-8-F9-BC44-E6-E81.jpg

And then we came to what was unmistakably the former railway bridge:
A5-C50-F8-D-710-A-40-B1-9-FBE-0514063-EDDF8.jpg

And I also photographed this building that was apparently home to the Animals of Farthing Wood attraction according to the map:
F83-B1450-4013-4295-B073-F8-A0-EA93882-B.jpg

After that, we crossed what was marked as the Flamingo bridge on the park map, walked along the former railway line, and walked back to the other side along the Crinkley Bridge, at which point I photographed a distinctly colourful looking building, which I later ascertained was the Crinkley Bottom Art Gallery, with what looked like the Extremely Nice Thingy Shop next to it (possibly not in the photograph):
3-BF8-EBDE-0227-432-E-921-E-21-F57-C1-ED1-D5.jpg

(It looked more colourful and stood out more in person… I was zoomed in a lot here)

We then came to the Holey Tree, listed on the park map:
5-B59-CC34-07-A2-4-FB5-A2-C0-975567-CBD4-E0.jpg

And finally, we then took a walk up to Cricket House itself:
B7-C6-BFEE-21-DB-45-C2-B8-C5-A34-FD6669608.jpg

But that’s not all! As it turns out, the very track we walked down to get there used to be the track for the safari (which you can see once you know that was the case), and we also saw a tunnel that used to be Mr Blobby’s Lair, supposedly! (I didn’t photograph that because my dad thought it looked too new to be part of the park)

So I definitely had a very productive and interesting afternoon here in Chard; I hope you like my photos of remnants of this slightly more obscure piece of UK theme park history! Did anyone ever get to visit this interesting attraction, or do you remember it?
Sorry, Throttled Cock Farm? Is this for real or was someone having a laugh?

I grew up in Somerset. Before Edmonds got his hands on the place, it was a beautiful wildlife park. It had a dairy on site that used to supply milk deliveries to towns across South Somerset. If you were a customer of theirs, you got free entrance to the wildlife park. It had lots of rural exhibits and attractions. The flamingo lake, a “heavy horse” stable, the dairy, lots of smaller animal enclosures and zoo-like cages - the railway was there for some time before the Crinkley Bottom makeover. When Edmonds got his hands on the place, it was very controversial in the local area. The free tickets for local customers went. A fair few gaudy building were built in the gardens and the Blobby IP was shoehorned in pretty much wherever it could be. It absolutely ruined what was a beautiful park and was destined to fail the second the one joke aspect of Blobby started to wane in the public consciousness. In short, the owners sold the manor and estate, Warners bought it and here we are. They focussed on the house and hotel, leaving the gardens and “theme park” in the main to rot, hence the plethora of urban explorers and remains of “blobby land” on YouTube. I think Warners ran the park and hotel separately for a while (I think the train was one of the last things to go) before finally closing off public access to the park and making it exclusive to hotel guests. Memories all a bit vague, but I think that’s basically the story.

Went here as a kid when we were on holiday in the area. All I can really remember is that there was hardly anything there, lots of people walking around looking lost or for something to do. I remember possibly a zip line and a sign that said "Do not read" There was some motorised vehicle tearing up and down a mud path, looking at the map that must've been the safari ride?

Don't even remember actually seeing Mr Blobby either, you kind of laughed it off back in the day, now I expect there would be an army of angry internet parents writing awful google reviews.

There were lots of angry parents back then, writing letters of complaint to the owners and the press.
The one in Morecambe was no better, with lots of fuss about dodgy funding of the attraction that lasted for years after.

I can’t believe that Mr Blobby costume is currently going for nearly £35000 and there’s still 4 days to go
A lot of the stuff at watermouth castle were brought after this place went out of business.

Not the Blobbyland the thread is talking about, but this wee documentary talks about the utter calamity about the Morecambe park and how utterly stupid the Council were and how the term 'Blobbygate' is now a byword for utter stupidity.

For all the things we complain about how theme parks can never get made in this country though truth be told after when you read about how Blobbyland was rushed through without much thought, you can say things have been learnt to have a repeat of this happening again. It is a classic example of what happens when people don't think things through.

That said, I'm a little surprised that they didn't think of putting a Blobbyland area for Morecambe Frontierland much like what Bradley's Beavercreek or later Nickelodeon Land is for BPB as it might have had a little more success as it would have meant the Council wouldn't have gotten involved making themselves looking like utter buffoons though honestly it would likely all been doomed to fail no matter what given how Mr Blobby's fame faded towards the end of the 90's.

The Thompsons wouldn't touch it as it came with a large licence fee that they thought unreasonable...which of course it was.
This wasn't the first licenced product to go to Morecambe, I squatted in the "Wombles Burrow" overnight while on holiday with a youth club back in the seventies.
Mr Blobby took over the Wombles site some years later.
Both were miserable flops, with masses of complaints from "customers" who got very little or nothing in the form of entertainment for their entrance fee.

I swear I saw a pic of tv family favourites ride doctor who section with a dalek and K9. Does anyone know where the pic is?
I think there may have been one in the Expedition Theme Park documentary about the park, if I’m remembering rightly.

Its not the same picture I saw, the one I remember you could fully see the Dalek but Tom Bakers scarf is the video picture which is cool. Such a interesting little ride shame it hasn't been better documented. Thanks for the help.