• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Desert Island Discs: What are yours?

GooseOnTheLoose

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Ug Bugs

The Premise:​

You're trapped on a desert island. Before being cast away you managed to grab a music player of your choice and eight pieces of music. What are they?

The Background:​

When I was a gosling, my Dad would make us indulge in this exercise, based on the BBC Radio programme on a semi-regular basis. Over the years I've kept up with it and it's fascinating to see which songs always remain, which ones have dropped out, what's never made an appearance.

These are eight pieces of music that essentially define you at periods in your life. They're something that are sentimental and mean something to you. No one else quite gets how much these eight songs make you feel. They're the eight pieces of music that you couldn't live without, or face never hearing again.

Dad would dutifully take our lists and compile them onto tapes to listen to in the car on family trips, often to Towers. As we grew older these compilations moved to CDs and then, of course, playlists.

It's a really fun way to make a playlist for the car, or to put on during a family dinner. It's fascinating to see what your family and friends pick too.

Thread Rules & Guides:​

• 8 pieces of music.
  • The order doesn't matter, there's no need to rank them.
  • No albums.
  • Theme park music is, of course, allowed.
  • This isn't a mix tape and it will look like a random selection of songs, but it's personal to you so think deep.
  • This list isn't definitive. It's a snapshot for you in your life presently, it will probably change in a day, a week, or years down the road and that's ok!
  • You can explain your selections if you want, you can be as personal, or not, as you wish. It's not mandatory though!
  • YouTube links to the songs are encouraged to we can all have a listen! If the song, or version of it, that you want isn't available then please do share Spotify embeds too.
  • OPTIONAL (courtesy of @pluk): You can also bring along one item and one book, what are they? The Complete Works of Shakespeare and a religious text of your choice are handily already on the island.

My Desert Island Discs:​

"It's Too Late" - Carole King​

I first remembering hearing this quintessential breakup song, from the era defining album "Tapestry", on the morning I realised I had my first crush. It was my ear worm for the day. The mournfulness, the sorrow, the yearning, the musical hooks. Gives me chills each time.

"The Night" - Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons​

That opening bass line. Wow. Hearing that for the first time is made me realise that I wanted to play bass. It's one of two songs that The Four Seasons recorded on the Motown label, the other is "Beggin'". For me though, this is the better piece of work. It's a North Soul classic that never fails to get me shaking my goosey caboosey. The desperation in Frankie's vocals is the perfect topping.

"Bobby Jean" - Bruce Springsteen​

A bit of an overlooked album track from The Boss here. In fairness it's on the "Born in the USA" album, and there are so many other strong songs to compete with. This one wins out for me.

I was taking the tube back home from my first ever Pride with my best friend. We were sharing headphones and listening to songs shuffle through on my iPod. "Bobby Jean" came on. I started air drumming, she started air saxxing, with massive grins on our faces. I fell in love with the song instantly. We were the wildest, the wildest things we'd ever seen.

Seeing and hearing Bruce play this live at Villa Park this year was a moment I shall never forget. My friend and I drifted apart, as friends do, but I was thinking of her that evening.

"California" - Manfred Mann's Earth Band​

I guess whistfullness melancholy is a default mode for me, though I promise I'm usually a cheerful goose! This was the song of the summer for me when I was 19. I had my first "proper" job as a well paid intern over, until uni started up again. I met and had my first boyfriend. It was the first summer I felt like a grown up goose. Also those solos are so unapologetically indulgent and I love it.

"Tiny Dancer" - Elton John​

Everyone forgets just how long this song takes to get to its chorus. It's a tease and release that pays off in an almost perfect way. If anyone's seen the Cameron Crowe film Almost Famous they'll know that this song brings together the best moment. I identify with that film in so many ways and this song is elevated all the more for it.

Amusingly this song is very much the inspiration for Ben Folds' "Landed". He even got Paul Buckmaster, who arranged the strings on "Tiny Dancer" to arrange the strings for "Landed".

"The Pretender" - Jackson Browne​

This is the latest addition to my DID. I love the storytelling, the simple arrangement, I'm a sucker for minor chord progressions and harmonies.

"Borderline" - Madonna​

Easily the best thing she's ever done and archetypal of a perfect pop song. Manic Street Preachers did a great cover of this when I saw them a few years ago, but Madonna's version from The Immaculate Collection album steals the punch. It's so catchy, so fun, yet so sad. How could anyone not love this?

"Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?" - Dave Mason​

There have been many versions of this song, written by Carole King and Gerry Goffin, but this one pushes the rest to the pale. No one sings these haunting lyrics with as much meaning and yearnfulness as Dave. The production is over the top for how simple the song is. The indulgent guitars, the horns, the string arrangement, the harmonies and backing vocals, he really threw the kitchen sink at it. Is it cheesy as hell? Yes, and I love it all the more for how ridiculous it is.

Observations​

All of the songs in my present Desert Island Discs selection were released before I was born. None of the artists are archetypal of my normal listening habits, nor is my favourite artist featured (M83).

I've gone for songs that have emotional heft and meaning for me, but you don't have to. These are songs I could never live without hearing again. What will you choose? I can't wait to hear your lists!

Last edited:

The Premise:​

You're trapped on a desert island. Before being cast away you managed to grab a music player of your choice and eight pieces of music. What are they?

How utterly bizarre that considering the almost infinite number of pieces of music that one could consider for this, you have two that would be dead certainties to be on my list, and one that would be a contender and certainly not far off an extended list.

I'll have a think about it.

Can we bring a book and an item too? 😀

I'm surprised that this thread hasn't been done before, but I'm glad that it hasn't.

How utterly bizarre that considering the almost infinite number of pieces of music that one could consider for this, you have two that would be dead certainties to be on my list, and one that would be a contender and certainly not far off an extended list.
I'm pleasantly surprised and, of course, chomping at the bit to find out which ones you're referring to.
Can we bring a book and an item too? 😀
Whole hog? Sure, why not! I've only ever gone with the music selection, as that's what it was really about for my Dad.

You've got The Bible / religious text of your choice and The Complete Works for Shakespeare already included (if we're following BBC rules). One more book and one item.

Need to have a think but just needed to comment that I'm so happy to see some Bobby Jean love. It gives me goosebumps every time. I was at Villa Park too and it was a privilege to hear it live.

Then I went to Hyde Park a few weeks later and got too pissed to remember it.

Since it is Bonfire weekend and my night is basically me, the dog and classic FM on the tele. This will pass the time nicely.

Eyes down look in.

Choice one

The Ghostbusters theme Elmer Bernstein.

This film has been with me since the start. Released in 1984 the year i was born and has never left me. Its the only franchise where i have collected the figures and the comic books. It was a poster on my wall as a child and is still decorating my spare room now. I have fonder memories of the sequel than the first, purely because i was five my brother was 9 and he was getting all the stuff around that time. Scaring me to death with a ghost in a can. "Go away or I open this!" 3 years ago, my now wife (Mrs Slugjc) proposed to me. Or shall i say, she got Ernie Hudson to do so for her and our wedding car was Ecto1. We got married officially at Wakefield GTown hall. I saw this thing arrive in the mirror. I didnt know, we were then driven to our official do in this.

Choice 2.

Paul Weller Here's a new thing.

A B-side. I couldn't do a list like this and not have the Weller fella. I stole the cassette of wild wood of our kid one rainy afternoon whilst he was out. Played it 3 times on the spin and was blown away. Thus an obsession was born. Goodbye to listing to Genesis and NOW CD's. I was turned. That album and Stanley Road brought me to a love of Britpop (More to follow) That Mid 90's ere was so good. To go through high school during the late 90's was boss. Difficult to choose any track from his solo stuff, The Jam or the style council. I like this track and i feel it should get more play.

Choice 3

The La's Failure

When i was 16 i trained to be a lifeguard. Work every hour I could, whilst living at home £100 a month board. I had some brass in pocket. Would often go Leeds on a weekend (when not at the football) and raid the clothes shops and particularly HMV. Spent hundreds on CD's and DVD's. One day, a deluxe version of the La's Album was sat front and center, just as you go through the door. I examined it. The curiosity of how a band with a one hit wonder could have a Delux album was over powering. Bought it, stuck it in the cars CD player and drove home. What a master piece this is. To think that There She Goes is probably the weakest track on it. Every track stands but, this one in particular does. After dropping out of sixth form 2 months before i took the exams because i knew i would fail and then applying for jobs in the Police and Ambulance service but failing because of an un-diagnosed Dyslexia. i actually felt like a failure. Still do in a way

Choice 4

Back to the future Overture- The Outtatime Orchestra (Alan Silvestri)

Like Ghostbusters this film has been with me since the days of old and will never leave me. The way this tune starts still gives me goosebumps to this day. This film is like a warm blanket. Nothing more to be said.

Choice 5

Supergrass. Richard iii

I said Britpop would appear and I couldn't do this without giving this band a shout. The most consistent band to appear out of the Britpop era. Not a single bad album and sadly one of the few i have never seen live. There was always that question "oasis or Blur?" I was in a northern mining village, so the answer was always Oasis. Truth is, they nor Blur could hold a candle to Supergrass or a band that will appear later in my eyes. I had the CD of I should Coco and in it for the money and they never left my boss 5 CD Aiwa Hifi. This tune reminds of those days where i was home alone, nothing to do as a teenager.

Choice 6

Prince Diamonds and pearls.

I have been with my wife nearly 15 years now. She asked me out after i had the living daylights kicked out of me, Christmas eve 2009. I had been a knob since i was 19 and after a break up. Chasing and being with any woman. Married, with someone you name it. I had been a lifeguard at my local baths and would go out round drinking in the same village. My antics caught up with me. She turned me onto the straight and narrow and got me into a state where i can feel someone happier with myself. This track reminds of a drive we did. I had finished work at 10pm and saw her walking down the high street where we lived, she had just been to shop for her mother, even though she had been in the house the whole time she was at work. To this day i have no idea in where we drove, but i had a few of princes albums on the 8GB Ipod at that time. She "Dj'd" I showed her the Batman album (including singing every line of "Batdance") and she played some of the stuff i wasn't yet familiar with. This track being one of them. She gave it beans. and every time i hear this track, i am transported to that dark and rainy night. In my mini cooper going nowhere just along for the ride.

Choice 7

Largo's theme. Monkey island 2 Lechucks revenge. Micheal Z land.

I had an Amiga 500. Loved the bones of that machine. I never completed Monkey island 2 until i was in my Twenties. It took me a whole
12 years to finish it. My lord did i love that game. 5 years ago we went to Walt Disney World and rode pirates of the Caribbean. I dint see it as that, i saw it as trip through Monkey Island. in truth, the story was created after Ron Gilbert rode that ride. Over the years, one tune has been stuck in my head from all those games and its below. Yo Ho Yo Ho a mighty pirates life for me

Choice 8

Cast History.

I got into cast at around 18, when i was with an ex. I had tghe CD's on constantly. When she dumped me when i was 19, i always associated that band with that time and stopped listening to them. What a fool. If i could go back and talk to that version of myself i would say "listen and i mean really listen to the lyrics Alright and Walkaway especially when your best mate gets with her." Instead i had 5 years of being a knob that led me top be in a hospital Christmas day with your ear hanging off. Anyway.............

26/05/2018 Liverpool V Real Madrid Champions League final.

I went to Anfield to watch it on a screen. I wanted to be among other supporters and celebrate like i did in 2005. It didn't happen. Me and my Dad traveled home. Tail between our legs. I got home, opened a bottle of Heineken and sat on the sofa. Empty. I opened youtube and did what i felt was right. Played Walkaway. Completely out of the blue. Then i played alright, sandstorm and finetime and then the track below. History. That was the spark. I rediscovered them The next day i went to HMV and re bought All change. I had them back. i was a better person than i was all those years ago, thanks to Mrs Slugjc. I saw them liove for the first time in 2021 and have just purchased tickets for next year. I met John Power a few week ago and spotify informed me i was in the 0.0001% of people who listened to them in 2022. My Band. Weirdly, never connect them or the La's till much later than you think

In true DID style i would also like to add the below.

Book......... The complete IDW version of Ghostbusters.
Luxury Item........... A radio. That would only come to life when the reds are playing
One track i would save.............. History.

Almost chosen.

Cast Walkaway
Fun lovin criminals Crime and Punishment
Marelene Dietrich Lily Marlene
The track "Take off" from the Memphis Belle Soundtrack
Genesis Living Forever

The Beatles - Here Comes The Sun

I'm from Liverpool and having parents who lived through beatlemania it was unsurprising I'd love them as well. Probably could fill a list with their songs but that would be very boring.
Was considering putting in the closing suite of songs from Abbey Road but decided on this instead.

Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe

I'd argue it's not even her best song but in 2012 I visited America and Canada, the main reason was to see a few Liverpool preseason games in Boston and Baltimore. However I also worked out a way to visit Cedar Point on my own as part of the trip. Anyhow this song was everywhere that summer, to add to it she'd actually performed at Cedar Point in the days before I'd visited and someone had written a still visible "call me maybe" in the sand beneath Magnums turnaround.

Bruce Springsteen - Thunder Road

Been lucky enough to see The Boss a few times now, the 2013 time was probably the most memorable as we travelled down to Wembley for it. A highlight was on the last leg from Milton Keynes to Watford the look of absolute disgust on a woman's face as we opened our last cans of beer. Anyhow the gig was fantastic, he even played Darkness On The Edge of Town in full. However he finished the gig with a solo acoustic version of this classic.

Andrew WK - Party Hard

Despise a love of music through my teens I'd never actually been to a 'proper' concert. All that changed when I went to university and discovered student loans. My first ever gig then was the 2002 NME Awards Tour, and that year it was a cracker with The Coral, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, lostphopets (yikes), and headlined by Andrew WK. Needless to say I was hooked on live music from that point on. The show of course came to a raucous end with AWKs anthem.

blur - Country House

Ah, the mid-90s, brit pop, and those endless summers you'd have as a child. Again not blurs best work by any stretch of the imagination but this was the song of the summer (check it out) that won the battle of brit pop. That summer we'd spent a lot of it on a camping holiday and when this single came out I remember a friend just playing it over and over again.

R.E.M - Country Feedback

Think of all the bands and artists I've seen the one I wish I'd seen more than once was R.E.M, saw them in Manchester in 2003. A last minute thing and ended up buying a ticket off a tout outside. There's just something unnervingly brilliant about this song, love the spite when Stipe says f##k off early on. On that tour which was technically a WB era greatest hits they had a fan vote for a song and this won every night. Had also considered Walk Unafraid, they had a way of performing that live that elevated it above the version on the record.

The Libertines - Don't Look Back Into The Sun

Maybe the best British single of the 21st century which will always be the perfect song about Pete and Carl. Saw them very early on at a random stage at Leeds Festival in 2002. Unfortunately the next two times I'd see them would be sans Pete. I'd then see him and Carl doing there own solo projects before finally seeing them together when they first reformed in 2010. They were also one of the first gigs I went to in late 2021 when they were possible again.

Dua Lipa - One Kiss

From her performing before the 2018 champions league final from then on despite the defeat it became a sort of Liverpool FC anthem.
It seemed to catch on pretty quickly because when she performed at Leeds Festival in 2018 I was by a few people waving some LFC flags when she did this song.
The definite highlights for me came during my two trips to Wembley. Firstly for the league cup final when winning that with a full stadium and the majority of the lads who'd lifted the league title in an empty stadium in 2020 got to celebrate win the fans. The song was played shortly after the shootout. Then again when I went back for the FA Cup semi final were it was the first song played after the final whistle.

Book - Catch-22

Last edited:
Dua Lipa - One Kiss

From her performing before the 2018 champions league final from then on despite the defeat it became a sort of Liverpool FC anthem.
It seemed to catch on pretty quickly because when she performed at Leeds Festival in 2018 I was by a few people waving some LFC flags when she did this song.
The definite highlights for me came during my two trips to Wembley. Firstly for the league cup final when winning that with a full stadium and the majority of the lads who'd lifted the league title in an empty stadium in 2020 got to celebrate win the fans. The song was played shortly after the shootout. Then again when I went back for the FA Cup semi final were it was the first song played after the final whistle.

Book - Catch-22

I heard a journalist speaking about her performance before the CL final in 2018. He said. "She must have wondered what was going on. At one side she had some Real Madrid fans. Stood very politely not doing anything. At the other side.30,000 Liverpool fans having the time of their lives."

I saw Elton John at Anfield last year and she appeared on screen..she got a massive cheer.

By the way. John_P from Liverpool? Your not John Power are you?

I saw Elton John at Anfield last year and she appeared on screen..she got a massive cheer.

By the way. John_P from Liverpool? Your not John Power are you?
Missed that gig as I was on holiday in America. Saw him at the arena earlier this year though.

Sadly I'm not.

"Borderline" - Madonna​

Easily the best thing she's ever done and archetypal of a perfect pop song. Manic Street Preachers did a great cover of this when I saw them a few years ago, but Madonna's version from The Immaculate Collection album steals the punch. It's so catchy, so fun, yet so sad. How could anyone not love this?

Madonna's out. I'm sorry Madge, it's a great song but you've had your time in my DID.

"Flowers for Peggy" - The Candle Thieves​

I first came across The Candle Thieves in 2009, reading an article in the back of The Guardian's G2 (or The Guide) supplement. They became a quick succession, with their overly positive sounding music but lyrical melancholy. I helped crowdfund their second album, which this was my favourite song on. It reminds me very much of my grandmother, I suppose it's supposed to remind everyone of their grandmother. It's musically infectious, there's so much going on and it's just a really clever song. I've lost count of how many times I've listened to it, but it's never grown old.

Still working on which book and item to take.

Let's get to it then!

The two we match with are...

"The Night" - Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons​

That opening bass line. Wow. Hearing that for the first time is made me realise that I wanted to play bass. It's one of two songs that The Four Seasons recorded on the Motown label, the other is "Beggin'". For me though, this is the better piece of work. It's a North Soul classic that never fails to get me shaking my goosey caboosey. The desperation in Frankie's vocals is the perfect topping.

"Tiny Dancer" - Elton John​

Everyone forgets just how long this song takes to get to its chorus. It's a tease and release that pays off in an almost perfect way. If anyone's seen the Cameron Crowe film Almost Famous they'll know that this song brings together the best moment. I identify with that film in so many ways and this song is elevated all the more for it.

Amusingly this song is very much the inspiration for Ben Folds' "Landed". He even got Paul Buckmaster, who arranged the strings on "Tiny Dancer" to arrange the strings for "Landed".

Both have been ever present in my life. I have my dad, his vinyl collection, and a pair of powerful bucket 70s headphones that are probably inadvisable for a child (no tinnitus yet!) to thank for these and others on the list.

The Night is just one of the most joyful things you can listen to, it implores you to dance. The same can be said for anything on this list, but this one in particular, I don't think I'd ever get bored of.

Tiny Dancer While just as ever present it was watching Almost Famous that cemented this in my psyche. I don't think anyone could watch that film, and that scene in particular, and not feel some affinity with it, whether that be from our own actual experiences or ones we wished we'd had. I feel like I was midway between those points, and part of me will always wish I had pursued my wilder music days further, but it still puts me in a very happy and content place.

Madonna - La Isla Bonita
You might have just binned her off, but Madge makes my list. This is the perfect sound of sunshine, taking me back being so huge when I was first on foreign holidays in the sun with my family as a child, it really speaks of the childlike holiday innocence that was me at the time.

Sophie Ellis Bextor - Is It Any Wonder Utterly baffling to me that this was never released as a single. It's perfect and in an alternative universe would have been a thousand first dances. It's probably my most personal track here, being something my wife and I share.
And in general Sophie is hugely under appreciated, seen as throwaway pop but being so much more, but that's another thing.

Propaganda - Duel
Absolutely no meaningful reason for this, I don't think I was even aware of it at the time but just picked it up sometime later and it now feels like the essence of the 80s. For no real reason at all, I love it.

Metronomy X Biig Piig - 405
This never fails to chill me out, whatever chaos is going in my life this makes it drift away. Bliss.

Everything Everything- Kemosabe
I don't think I could cope long term on a desert island without my all-time favourite band, and I could go for any one of a number of tracks om any given day, but today it's this.

JayDee - Plastic Dreams (David Morales Mix)
This might seem an unusual choice for a desert island, but I can rave it up anywhere and alone. This is a hugely influential track on my life and my time DJing, and being obsessed with dance music and clubbing for a few too many years. I might have had an altered mind at the time, but music this good can take me back to that place naturally. And maybe I can find an exotic tree frog to lick.
I also have a persistent idea for a multi launch coaster around this track if anyone has a few million to fund it?

Book - I'll take some Bill Brison please. Probably A Walk In The Woods.

Item - I'd go for my 1210s and vinyl collection, but that rather undermines the concept. A neverending beer fridge it'll be then.

Let's get to it then!

The two we match with are...

Both have been ever present in my life. I have my dad, his vinyl collection, and a pair of powerful bucket 70s headphones that are probably inadvisable for a child (no tinnitus yet!) to thank for these and others on the list.

The Night is just one of the most joyful things you can listen to, it implores you to dance. The same can be said for anything on this list, but this one in particular, I don't think I'd ever get bored of.

Tiny Dancer While just as ever present it was watching Almost Famous that cemented this in my psyche. I don't think anyone could watch that film, and that scene in particular, and not feel some affinity with it, whether that be from our own actual experiences or ones we wished we'd had. I feel like I was midway between those points, and part of me will always wish I had pursued my wilder music days further, but it still puts me in a very happy and content place.

Madonna - La Isla Bonita
You might have just binned her off, but Madge makes my list. This is the perfect sound of sunshine, taking me back being so huge when I was first on foreign holidays in the sun with my family as a child, it really speaks of the childlike holiday innocence that was me at the time.

Sophie Ellis Bextor - Is It Any Wonder Utterly baffling to me that this was never released as a single. It's perfect and in an alternative universe would have been a thousand first dances. It's probably my most personal track here, being something my wife and I share.
And in general Sophie is hugely under appreciated, seen as throwaway pop but being so much more, but that's another thing.

Propaganda - Duel
Absolutely no meaningful reason for this, I don't think I was even aware of it at the time but just picked it up sometime later and it now feels like the essence of the 80s. For no real reason at all, I love it.

Metronomy X Biig Piig - 405
This never fails to chill me out, whatever chaos is going in my life this makes it drift away. Bliss.

Everything Everything- Kemosabe
I don't think I could cope long term on a desert island without my all-time favourite band, and I could go for any one of a number of tracks om any given day, but today it's this.

JayDee - Plastic Dreams (David Morales Mix)
This might seem an unusual choice for a desert island, but I can rave it up anywhere and alone. This is a hugely influential track on my life and my time DJing, and being obsessed with dance music and clubbing for a few too many years. I might have had an altered mind at the time, but music this good can take me back to that place naturally. And maybe I can find an exotic tree frog to lick.
I also have a persistent idea for a multi launch coaster around this track if anyone has a few million to fund it?

Book - I'll take some Bill Brison please. Probably A Walk In The Woods.

Item - I'd go for my 1210s and vinyl collection, but that rather undermines the concept. A neverending beer fridge it'll be then.

Some great choices and a heck of a lot more contemporary than I thought it might be. I ought to have guessed the two we had in common really. Cheers for the Sophie track, that's going in a Spotify playlist.

405 is one of those songs that I always here, and appreciate, and really enjoy and then forget about the moment it's over; along with the fact it's by Metronomy. I do at times think that streaming has a lot to answer for when it comes to my music memory recall.

I'll allow the never ending beer fridge, I'll even let it be solar powered so it can work.

Some great choices and a heck of a lot more contemporary than I thought it might be.

More contemporary than I thought it would be too, until I sat down and thought about it. I don't doubt there is plenty of 'better' music out there, but this is what I would actually want to listen to for the long term.

Just bubbling under were The Captain Of My Heart - Double, Love Will Keep Us Together - Captain and Tennille, I'll Never Let You Down - PhD, Because - The Beatles, and if I could have squeezed a cheeky album in Disney's Mother Goose Nursery Rhyme on crackly 1970 vinyl which I've not heard in years but would probably break me and comfort me in equal measure.