• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Disneyland Paris: all projects on hold

Sam

TS Member
Sorry mods, didn't know whether I should have made this a new topic or not

News from D-Log

BREAKING NEWS - FUTURE OF DISNEYLAND PARIS A LOT LESS CERTAIN

The Walt Disney Company has ceased all future investments of Disneyland Paris as of today. Internal sources tell us all future project after the Ratatouille attraction have been put on hold.

The last announced expansion for Disneyland Paris is of course the Ratatouille dark ride, opening next summer. This high-tech, state-of-the-art attraction with trackless motion-base vehicles and larger-than-life 3D projections has been in development for a number of years. At the beginning of this year EuroDisney S.C.A. itself finally confirmed the rumours: the rat is coming.

But on the projects Disneyland Paris has in development for after the opening of Ratatouille is a lot less certainty except for some very persistent rumours. Until today. Internal sources within Disneyland Paris have been able to tell D-log that parent company The Walt Disney Company has ceased all future investments for projects after Ratatouille, taking effect at once!

Since The Walt Disney Company has taken over the debt structure from the banks through the refinancing plan set into motion last September, they have gained more control over the decision making process of the French resort. Where EuroDisney S.C.A. previously needed the approval of various banks before construction on a new attraction could begin, now The Walt Disney Company in the U.S. has the final say. This could be good news, or bad news.

Internal sources at Disneyland Paris have exclusively confirmed to us that parent company The Walt Disney Company has shut down all future investments of Disneyland Paris for the time being; with the exception of Ratatouille which is in development and far stages of construction. In other words this means all rumours on future plans for attractions, shows and entertainment will be put on hold for now. Rumours such as Star Tours 2, a complete mini-land with Star Wars theme, a successor to Captain EO, the addition of Captain Jack Sparrow to Pirates of the Caribbean, the extension of Hollywood Boulevard at the Walt Disney Studios Park, introducing Marvel characters at the Walt Disney Studios Park, Soarin’ Over The World, The Little Mermaid dark-ride at Fantasyland, etc. Countless rumours which have been circling the Internet for a number of years, some have a notion of truth in them. Until today.

This decision doesn’t come easy for Disneyland Paris. The future plans of the resort are suddenly a lot less certain. What will the implications be for the resort in the years after the opening of the Ratatouille ride? According to our analysis it could go into two directions: either this is an indication The Walt Disney Company is acknowledging the current course set by Disneyland Paris isn’t sufficient to solve the fundamental problems of the resort which calls for a larger master plan, or it will mean the years after 2014 will be a lot more quiet in terms of expansion.

Personally we hope, like everybody, they have secretly been working on a large-scale rescue operation like for Disney California Adventure and Hong Kong Disneyland. For both parks, which have been performing below expectations, large-scale rescue plans were announced that have fixed the decline in quality of the parks tremendously in a few short years. A plan Disneyland Paris desperately needs, especially since the quality of the resort has slowly been declining in the last few years. Parcorama recently managed to sum up a list of clear indicators why the resort was slowly but steadily handing in on its quality. It wouldn’t take long or Disneyland Paris couldn’t measure itself with the “Disney Standard” the parks in the U.S. and Asia happen to carry out so well.

What it needs is a big masterplan fixing the identity and capacity problems of the Walt Disney Studios Park and extending the attraction and entertainment offerings in the Disneyland Park. The Walt Disney Company can do this, has proven it can do this and has sufficient financial needs to make it happen. Let this internal message be a first indication of large-scale plans that are about to happen!

A lot of people on CF are speculating that this is being done so a full-scale 'masterplan' for Studios can be devised, rather than scattered investments and improvements here and there. Big news for DLP! Sounds like Disney have finally had enough and want to do something dramatic to sort out the place. :)

This is strange news, but hopefully with the rather sudden announcement it does indicate to what people are speculating. It certainly does need much more structured investment than the current haphazard installations. I just worry that this is a knee-jerk reaction typical of companies under distress.

But then the only way out is to invest as much into capital expenditure to generate as much cash as possible

EuroSatch said:
This is strange news, but hopefully with the rather sudden announcement it does indicate to what people are speculating. It certainly does need much more structured investment than the current haphazard installations. I just worry that this is a knee-jerk reaction typical of companies under distress.

But then the only way out is to invest as much into capital expenditure to generate as much cash as possible

Thing is Disney's record is a little better than some when it comes to their ailing parks. They have twice shown that massive investment works to bring back poor performing parks (as did Universal with IOA and HP).

Disney as a brand does not want a failing product, i hope that means Paris will get a huge investment strategy and that it starts soon.

Oh of course. We just have to hope that this speculation is true, as they haven't yet confirmed it will be a big overhaul

I dearly hope this is a signal for a huge overhaul - because DLRP is a fantastic place, but it just hasn't ever performed to the high standards that were set.

Studios has so much potential but is so frustrating and Parc Disneyland is beautiful but desperately needs something new and substantial!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

As above.

Disneyland Paris is great, but.

They need to speed up refurbs and improve quality in the hotels.

Disneyland Park needs a new ride.

Studios needs an overhaul.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I've been thinking about what they could do if they did announce a big masterplan. The main issue is Walt Disney Studios doesn't really have much of an identity. It's possibly the worst themed park of all the Disney Resorts, in that the ideas never really took off. And second, besides ToT and Rock 'n' Roller, there isn't really much there.

My idea would be to divide the park in half, and focus much more on the original idea of MGM Studios, by taking people into the movies, rather than being on the movie set, which really didn't work for me. The 2 halves would focus on Live Action films on the left side of the park, and animation on the right half.

Animation City
Scrap the Studio Tram Tour, and in it's place build a lake as a centrepoint with a new Fantasmic show. In the land it took up to Disaster Canyon, Build a Cars Land. Scrap Toy Story Playland (maybe not in it's entirety) but put in Toy Story Midway Mania, maybe in the same plaza that Ratatouille is going. Another attraction could be a new Soarin' with Planes (i.e. the Pixar film), possibly where Flying Carpets is. Next, build a stage as the centre feature of the "Animated" city, with new live action stage shows such as Festival of the Lion King and Beauty and the Beast, but based on other cartoons. Replace Animagique with something similar to Voyage of the Little Mermaid (Hollywood Studios).

Basically the whole area would be more structured with attractions and theming that tie in much better with the magic behind all the Disney Animated Classics/Pixar films

Live Action Backlot
Keep the "backlot" theme for left half, but make some drastic changes. Scrap Armageddon and the Stunt Show, and build Star Wars Land. Scrap Studio 1 walk through and build a bigger "Streets of America" set a la Hollywood Studios, but actually have a lot more going on, and direct the flow towards ToT as the centrepoint. Build a Mission:Space style simulator on the site of Armageddon, themed around a new film going into space. Star Tours could be moved here also from Discovery Land, as Star Tours 2.5 (based on the new Quadrilogy to be released).

Next, Disneyland Parc... There isn't too much to overhaul realistically, but it is desperately lacking in key Disney attractions. A dryer Splash Mountain is way overdue. Yes, DLP operate all year round, so seasonal impacts need consideration, but that doesn't mean they couldn't build a Splash Mountain and close it over winter, or keep the outdoor channels heated to prevent ice formation and modify it to be turned dryer or wetter. Adventureland has nothing, and whilst Jungle Cruise may be a bit dated now, it could use something to link Pirates with the rest of the park. Similarly Frontier Land needs something to draw people beyond Big Thunder Mountain, perhaps in a Critter County style, or A Bug's Land.

Disney's European Adventure

However, the key feature would be the construction of a new park, to incorporate new ideas alongside themes from several existing parks. My idea is for Disney's European Adventure, to be an Epcot World Showcase style exploration of Europe, with cultural ideas taken from several European countries, and including attractions based on Disney films based on these countries. I.e. England would feature Mary Poppins and 101 Dalmatians, and perhaps an updated Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. A key focus would be an updated Matterhorn in Switzerland, as a nod to California, but using Expedition Everest/Grizzly Mountain track technology.

The park would include attractions similar to what is in Tokyo Disneysea, and including a New Fantasyland style development to include Beauty and the Beast, but replace The Little Mermaid with another Disney Classic based in Europe, perhaps Tangled or Snow White (and include the Mine Train from Magic Kingdom). Of course the park would also include many unique attractions, in a similar but more modern way to World Showcase. However there could be attractions on a smaller scale of Animal Kingdom, and perhaps a Grizzly River Run style ride. The possibilities would be endless, but also a nod to France and Europe to keep it close to home.

Obviously these are just my musings, but I do think this would provide the level of experience to create DLP the Disney destination to rival America.

EDIT
Having looked into the Indiana Jones rides at California and Tokyo, DLP could really benefit from this style ride, whether it's Indiana Jones, Dinosaur, or something new.

ybytedyr.jpg

Here's a quick sketch up of my ideas for Walt Disney Studios. Sorry it's not very clear!

Sounds better than what they have now...

A third gate always seems to be on the cards, and is probably the 'easiest' way of assuring more money and more visitors, but is also the least likely to realistically happen within the next decade or so.

I really hope Disney bite the bullet and overhaul Studios whilst taking a good look at Parc Disneyland too. Studios (like Satch said above) has no identity. Whatever it tried to be at the start has been lost on the way and its now a poorly laid out theme park which is too reliant on its two headline attractions and can't cope with crowds due to the poor capacity rides surrounding them.

Parc Disney is getting stale and can only ride on being the same old 'Disney experience' for so long. There's areas of the park which are far too empty and not used to potential and the attractions that are there are starting to get left a bit more rundown than they ideally should be for a Disney park.

Serious work is needed. I'm not saying that the parks are awful as they're far from that. But they're being judged under the Disney name and that's what is lacking.

Planes is NOT a Pixar film...

Studios does need a total overhaul though and Magic Kingdom needs something major and new... They have spaces allocated from the original park designs for some attractions (like Indiana Jones dark ride) but never used it due to reasons...

Unlikely it''ll happen, but it occurred to me with D23 coming up fairly soon if they might announce plans for DLP there and then. We already know they plan to release information about a Star Wars Land at Disney's Hollywood Studios and more information (finally) about Avatar at Animal Kingdom, so who knows...perhaps they might mention Paris as well...hopefully

I got the impression that the stateside expos tended to just focus on the US parks rather than commenting globally. I might be wrong though.

I find it staggering that Disneyland Paris has so many hotels with multiple thousand rooms but 20 odd years on have still not built a waterpark to serve these hotels.

I know that the weather in Northern France is a far cry from that in Orlando but that doesn't justify not building one in my opinion. They did have plans for one but the concept images were far from inspiring.

CoasterCrazyChris said:
I find it staggering that Disneyland Paris has so many hotels with multiple thousand rooms but 20 odd years on have still not built a waterpark to serve these hotels.

Well, that's not exactly true (though I am a DLP fan :p). Both Sequoia Lodge and Newport Bay's private swimming pools are fairly nice with fountains in Newport Bay and slides in Sequoia Lodge (New York and Disneyland Hotel also have swimming pools, but are a bit meh in comparison), but I will agree they aren't exactly waterpark's.

However, in 2016 Villages Nature (site to be next to Davy Crockett) will be installing 'one of Europe's largest covered waterparks', but technically isn't an official Disney hotel. Not sure if a topic was made for it, but a video of it can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh543MK11hk#ws

Since the UK and France share pretty similar weather conditions all year round there's no excuse really for DLP to not one day build a waterpark. It would be very easy to do and guaranteed to be a hit. I'm really surprised it's something DLP especially has never planned or created by now.

That Villages Nature looks very nice too (even though it's not officially Disney).

There are a few projects that have been dropped by Paris over the years (some of which would have been really fantastic additions too) which are listed here.

Some of the other proposed parks and attractions for other parts of the world are interesting too, though discussion of them doesn't belong here.

I never know what topic to post DLP stuff in these days. :(

Huge interview packed with refurb news over on Disney & More...

Disney & More said:
Disneyland Paris Update - Part One : "What's New, What's Next" , a Meeting with Joe Schott about DLP Future

Lots of news about Disneyland Paris future today, and all of them are good news! Thanks to Mouetto from the Disney Central Plaza forum we have a full report on the meeting with Joe Schott, "DLP Directeur General Adjoint", and here is a translation of his full article, and please join me to thanks him a lot!

Disneyland Paris: What's New, What's Next by Mouetto, Disney Central Plaza Forum

Last Thursday i had the luck - along with others webmasters of Disney fans sites to meet Joe Schott, DLP Operations Directeur Général Adjoint, during a lunch organized for the "What's New, What's Next" event.

Joe Schott works since 32 years for the WDC. He started his career as a Jungle Cruise attraction operator animator and then became WDW Operations Director. He was then Vice President General Director of Walt Disney Attractions Japan before coming to DLP as Operations Directeur Général Adjoint in December 2009. He also was there during the construction of Euro Disney as he participated to the durability tests for the Disneyland Paris Railroad.

During this two hours lunch everyone was able to talk with Joe Schott who took the time to let us know about future refurbishment projects as well as the good or bad decisions which were previously taken for the Resort.

For instance he explained that the works to make DLP Disneyland Park brand new again will go on and that major refurbishments will start again right after the end of DLP 20th Anniversary celebration:

- Lot of Town Square facades as well as Main Street Station will soon be covered with canvas to rebuild them with stronger materials. It won't be only quickly repaint. Town Square Photography will have a brand new theming and the products will have a better display, like they have in DLP World of Disney Store.

- Indiana Jones and the Temple of Peril ( NDR: see D&M previous article HERE ) will close starting next January for a full rebuilding of the temple, all in stone ( like the castle bridge ) with also a complete change of the looping track, all this to make sure that the ride will last forever instead to be a temporary ride as it was supposed to be when it opened.

- Pirates of Caribbean is a more complex attraction as it includes 72 Audio-Animatronics A100. No other attraction includes so many sophisticated AAs. They've started to replace them with the Pirate Auctioneer and the Captain of the Inferno and there should be four more in the coming year.

- It's a Small World "relamping" is ongoing.

- Like Dumbo and the Orbitron, Les Tapis Volants - Flying Carpets over Agrabah - will be totally dismantled, refurbished and rebuilt.

- The Mark Twain will not be destroyed. It's one of the icon of Disneyland Paris Frontierland and he will be entirely renovated some day but it's not in the priorities list. As well as the geysers which will not be operational anyway all year long. But these ( the geysers ) could be replaced by something unique.

- Attractions capacity will also be reviewed. Also, Crush's Coaster single rider line will be installed permanently. They envision to install one more new waiting line each year. Next year, with the upcoming Ratatouille ride there will be two new single rider lines.

- Two new trams will soon be added at WDS Studio Tram Tour.

- They are always in tests to improve Space Mountain: Mission 2 guests comfort, in particular with the new harness but the process will take some time, due to the investment.

- Although DLP attractions availability is quite good in regards to the number of operational opening hours ( rate of availability is 96% when attractions had 22% more time / 230 more operational hours since 2008 ). DLP is aware that any problem happening on some rides for security reasons and leading to evacuate the guests leads to a great loss of time to start the ride again. For instance one hour is needed to start Big Thunder Mountain. That's the reason why they're reviewing the rides control systems. Pirates of Caribbean has been already updated and Big Thunder will be done in 2015. Joe Schott also talked about doing the same on Crush's Coaster but didn't mentioned a date.

- Joe Schott brought to DLP a system already existing in others Disney Parks - but not yet at DLP - which allows to graduate the emergency of a refurbishment with a rating from A to D. He aims to have a A or B rating in the next five years. To achieve this, days of refurbishment passed from 300 days in 2008 to 600 days in 2012. Also, refurbishment budgets are now three times more important than they were in 2008.

- WDS Stunt Show has indeed no more stunt jumps temporarily. They will come back soon, as soon as the question of comfort and security for the stunt men will be resolved. But Joe told us that he really care that a show stay as good from its premiere till the very last day. That is the case for Disney Dreams! which can be play with the same quality each evening, including in winter ( except of course when there is a technical problem ).

- Just like us, Joe Schott awaits the Ratatouille ride and even revealed an insider info as he confirmed that guests will be able to see the - real - restaurant ( located next to the show building ) from the unload room of the ride!

- I asked him what has been one of his first decisions when he arrived at DLP. It was the redo of the Halloween season to make it more "Disney". He acknowledged his mistake to have changed a bit suddenly the 2011 season. On the other hand he is the one who decided to cancel the WDS Terrorific Nights who were not enough "Disney"
( NDR: it's a pity, i liked the show of Charly Vegas! ) and don't regret his decision. The new Halloween version will continue to get better all along the years and a big effort has been done this year on cakes and pastries with a Halloween theme.

- I also asked him about the decision to have changed the hotels swimming pools hours in May 2009. He instantly acknowledged that it was a bad choice. He thought that guests will go in the parks during swimming pools closing hours and will enjoy the pools in the afternoon. But in fact guests were planning their stay with these new swimming pool hours and were not going in the parks!

- I asked him when he envision the comeback of a big "live" show in the park - like the Tarzan show. He said that he love the Tarzan show and will be happy to have it back. It's a show that can be watched by only 6% of guests per day and for now they concentrate on the Disney Dreams! show who can be watched by 30% of the guests. But it is clear for him that live entertainment is part of Disney Parks and he'd like to have them back as soon as possible. However he considers that Discoveryland's Videopolis stage is not adapted for this kind of show because of the Hyperion Cafe nearby.

- About catering, more than eleven kitchen have been refurbished in less than two years. So, meals and burgers are now served hotter than before. Joe also talked about products improvements with introduction of Angus meat. The Angus burger was elected the best burger of all Parks and Resorts division. As soon as he arrived he also asked the chicken nuggets to be changed as he didn't liked them at all.

- The WDS Blockbuster Cafe is currently being rethemed and Joe told us sincerely that he's not a big fan of High School Musical. Without having any info about it i ask him if they will do an Iron Man theming, and he answered yes in an american way " Oh Yeah! ". We didn't knew really if he was joking or not but we had the confirmation next morning when we saw the posters!

- I asked him if the refunding of DLP debt last year deblocked some projects, like the Hep Cat Drinks and Snacks. In fact, the Hep Cat Drinks and Snacks has been financed by Coca Cola but everything around the En Coulisse snack and restaurant was done thanks to the debt refunding as DLP don't need anymore to present each new investment project to the banks to have their agreement. Joe reminded us that because of this the Ratatouille ride was previously turned down three times by the banks. Lot of investments are also done backstage to enhance cast members comfort.

- To conclude, Joe ask us to be patient, that upcoming projects will bring back DLP Disneyland park just as new, that in 3 or 5 years from now our vision of the park will change totally, and that he's extremely attached to the Disney quality experience.

As for me, it was the first time i had a meeting with Joe Schott and i really appreciated this other kind of communication, all along a lunch with the person ruling Disneyland Paris Operations Dept. He answered frankly to all our questions, including an honest acknowledgement of his mistakes, and also reassured us by saying that he is as much as we can be attached to the quality experience for the guests.

2014 will be a year rich in renovations and innovations with the opening of Ratatouille as grand finale!

It's brilliant that they're seeing throughput as such a top priority. Upgrading ride systems can only help with that. The future sounds very bright for the park, can't wait to see what the next project is after Ratatouille! *COUGHSTARTOURSIICOUGH*

I won't be excited till the build an Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye clone.