• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Disneyland Paris: General Discussion

Apparently CinéMagique is closing for good on 30 March to be replaced by something new in summer 2018.

As this excellent long read points out, even building great new attractions (like they did in mid-2000s DCA and are doing at WDS with Ratatouille) won't be enough to save the park, even if you crammed it with another 20 excellent E tickets. It needs to be entirely redesigned and rebuilt from the ground up, which each area of the park temporarily closed in the process.

Good article, WDS is currently (Ratatouille area excepted) an utterly soulless park. Whilst it now at least has a number of major attractions that justify spending a fair bit of time there, I *still* feel that any time I'm in the park is time that could be much better spent in Parc Disneyland next door.

I remember visiting WDS in 2002 and thinking it felt like a half day experience. It's still not the best Disney park out there (perhaps the worst?) - but it's night and day now compared to when it opened.

I can't help but think the Toy Story area was slightly uninspired for a park seemingly trying to prove to everyone that it's on the up.

They're certainly added a lot of rides since it opened (they needed to) and there's now enough to do, but they've not solved the underlying issue that vast swathes of the park are just bland open spaces that you don't want to spend any time in. Pretty much the entire left side of the park is well below the standard you'd normally expect of a Disney park.

Shame, CineMagique is/was the best thing in that park. Too much else was just cheap copies of good attractions in Florida. The biggest improvement to the park would be to kill off the obviously fake "backlot" tram tour. Florida's Hollywood Studios was at least a working studio for 10 years or so and the tour therefore made some sense and that got killed off a couple of years ago.

Some of the biggest flaws at WDS are not only the cheaply plonked older attractions and overwhelming majority of low throughout (for Disney) standard attractions, but the whole park was built quickly on the cheap.

It was literally a rushed carbon copy version of Hollywood Studios (minus the Great Movie Ride) and rushed just so the resort could get a second gate. There is still a certain charm to this place, however the whole 'working studio' theme park tag line doesn't work near as well now as it did in nineties. Guests would rather be immersed in the movies as opposed to being involved making them.

The additions of Tower Of Terror and Ratstouille have improved the park noticeably, but there's still lots that needs to be done. Remove Trams, Integrate the left side of the park more and that would be a good start. And maybe add a section track to Crush. The ride is great but queuing for it is horrendous.

Shame about Cinemagicue though as that was one of the better opening day attractions and made for a great sit down/rainy day and emotional experience attraction which will be sad to see spited.

A document relating to the takeover bid of DLP by the Walt Disney Company provides a bit more detail about the proposed capital expenditure:
The Business Plan estimated the 10-year capital expenditures (“capex”) spending at €2.1 billion,
which includes major investments in hotel rehabilitations at the Hotel New York and the Disneyland
Hotel, as well as Marvel-themed A&E at the Walt Disney Studios. Average annual capex of €210
million is in line with recent investment levels and will allow it to continue efforts to catch-up on asset
maintenance following years of underinvestment, as well as to improve guest experience.

Yay, Marvel! Hopefully this does include new attractions and not just re-themed ToT, RnR, Animagique etc. And I'd still like to see Disney invest in a new E-ticket attraction for Disneyland Parc if they are successful in their takeover.

In other news, the new trains for Space Mountain have been seen testing:

Good to see that they do have detailings on them!

:)

Reactions: Tim
It'd be good if they could get the canon operating like it did in the early days, what a balls out piece of flashy engineering.

Jules Verne meets Star Wars looks about as daft as the idea of making SM:M2 into Hyperspace Mountain always sounded, unless there are external changes to come. Given that this hopefully isn't a long term thing though, I do actually hope it's left alone, and that the interior will get a good 'De la Terre a la Lune'-ing afterwards.

Reactions: Rob
All I care about is the chance to ride one of Vekoma's more unusual layouts without suffering a concussion.

.... Although, I'd have to set foot in the park to do that, something I swore I'd never do again. Maybe if I stole the trains and shipped them down the road to Asterix...?

Looking forward to returning to this park.

:)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sam