• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Disneyland Paris: General Discussion

As of today masks are no longer required at DLP, they are continuing to recommend them for very crowded times like parade and evening show but nothing enforced.

I really have been waiting for this news, we go in a couple of months and the idea of wearing masks all day for 3 days solid including whilst walking around outside was just a bit much though I am surprised they have gone from strictly masks EVERYWHERE to none required at all, I assumed it would just change to indoor areas and queues which tbh I wouldn't have an issue with.
Also, non-distanced Character Meets are now back at DLP! :)

We were planning a trip to DLP later this year, and I have to say if there was a single major ride that had to be closed for a year I'm personally just glad it's IASW and not Pirates/BTM/Phantom Manor/Space Mountain etc. Weirdly, we've never been on it as this will be the third time in a row we've gone while it's closed. Understand why some people will be disappointed though.

With the official launch of the 30th anniversary celebrations at Disneyland Paris, many of the new elements previously discussed are now up and running.

DLP Report have compiled an excellent report of everything that’s happening, which is well worth a read.

Some highlights to note:​

The new daytime show​

What’s really interesting to note here is that DLP have made an effort to improve inclusivity for the show. You’ll note that the dancers are all wearing different outfits. Rather than create specific male and female costumes, they’ve designed a collection of individual items of clothing which anyone can mix and match, regardless of gender. They have also extended this to include makeup, so anyone, irrespective of their gender, can wear as much or as little as they like to best represent their own identity.

There’s also a new uniform for cast managing parade flows and crowds, and it’s a HUGE improvement over the old red fleeces.

img_6327.jpg

I really can’t say I care for the floats however. They look very cheap and almost off-brand. There’s been such an effort everywhere else to make sure the blue, purple and pink branding has been consistent. These multi-coloured glass monstrosities stick out like a sore thumb.

The Gardens of Wonder sculptures​

By day they look pretty mesmerising, but by night they kick it up a notch, with a new lighting package illuminated all around the central plaza.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, it’s so French and I love it! 🇫🇷 It’s one of those things only DLP could have pulled off.

Illuminations pre and post shows​

The drone tech previously shown has finally been revealed, forming part of D-Light, the Illuminations pre-show and also for After Glow the post-show.

Overall I really like them both as a complete package. After Glow is my favourite and looks beautiful. But I dunno, I thought the drones would be doing a bit more. Perhaps we’ve been spoilt with London’s NYE fireworks using them much more extensively for two years now…

Either way though, great to see new tech being trialled again. I’m sure if it goes down well in Paris we might see drones appearing in more Disney spectaculars. There’s so much potential with this tech (giant Mufassa head saying “Remember who you are…” anyone?)

And finally the biggest news, Woody now has a neck!!!

img_6329.jpg

It’s only taken how many years, but he finally looks like the on-screen character.

Old Woody for reference:

toy-story-woody-1-1050x1400.jpg

At Disney atm, 1st ever visit and i have to say Twilight tower of terror is a firm favourite!

For the opening hours 6pm/7:30pm close i cant help but feel how busy the park is 60-90m on all coasters/ main attractions.

Luckily we booked our restaurants before we arrived as all were fully booked for whats open.

At Disney atm, 1st ever visit and i have to say Twilight tower of terror is a firm favourite!

For the opening hours 6pm/7:30pm close i cant help but feel how busy the park is 60-90m on all coasters/ main attractions.

Luckily we booked our restaurants before we arrived as all were fully booked for whats open.

Have a great time. TOT really is something else I agree. Probably my favourite non coaster attraction in the world I'd say.

With the official launch of the 30th anniversary celebrations at Disneyland Paris, many of the new elements previously discussed are now up and running.

DLP Report have compiled an excellent report of everything that’s happening, which is well worth a read.

Some highlights to note:​

The new daytime show​

What’s really interesting to note here is that DLP have made an effort to improve inclusivity for the show. You’ll note that the dancers are all wearing different outfits. Rather than create specific male and female costumes, they’ve designed a collection of individual items of clothing which anyone can mix and match, regardless of gender. They have also extended this to include makeup, so anyone, irrespective of their gender, can wear as much or as little as they like to best represent their own identity.

There’s also a new uniform for cast managing parade flows and crowds, and it’s a HUGE improvement over the old red fleeces.

img_6327.jpg

I really can’t say I care for the floats however. They look very cheap and almost off-brand. There’s been such an effort everywhere else to make sure the blue, purple and pink branding has been consistent. These multi-coloured glass monstrosities stick out like a sore thumb.

The Gardens of Wonder sculptures​

By day they look pretty mesmerising, but by night they kick it up a notch, with a new lighting package illuminated all around the central plaza.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, it’s so French and I love it! 🇫🇷 It’s one of those things only DLP could have pulled off.

Illuminations pre and post shows​

The drone tech previously shown has finally been revealed, forming part of D-Light, the Illuminations pre-show and also for After Glow the post-show.

Overall I really like them both as a complete package. After Glow is my favourite and looks beautiful. But I dunno, I thought the drones would be doing a bit more. Perhaps we’ve been spoilt with London’s NYE fireworks using them much more extensively for two years now…

Either way though, great to see new tech being trialled again. I’m sure if it goes down well in Paris we might see drones appearing in more Disney spectaculars. There’s so much potential with this tech (giant Mufassa head saying “Remember who you are…” anyone?)

And finally the biggest news, Woody now has a neck!!!

img_6329.jpg

It’s only taken how many years, but he finally looks like the on-screen character.

Old Woody for reference:

toy-story-woody-1-1050x1400.jpg

A great report! I must admit I was surprised how lack luster the drone show was. I'm hoping they add to it and experiment as time goes on. I'm surprised that the post show exists with them being so late by to the fireworks. At WDW they constantly spray the roofs during the fireworks with water to stop sparks. (Hence if you go into Fantasyland the floor is wet after fireworks). Is this not the case for DLP on the roof tops?

A great report! I must admit I was surprised how lack luster the drone show was. I'm hoping they add to it and experiment as time goes on. I'm surprised that the post show exists with them being so late by to the fireworks. At WDW they constantly spray the roofs during the fireworks with water to stop sparks. (Hence if you go into Fantasyland the floor is wet after fireworks). Is this not the case for DLP on the roof tops?
Its hard to know as the show is after park close atm, as the hours are quite short this week ( disney staff events seems to be on after park close the evening this week).
So the moment the show is over everyone is ushered off park in the opposite direction.

Agreed the drones looked good, but surely they could have done more with them ?? Eg characters in the sky?

Its hard to know as the show is after park close atm, as the hours are quite short this week ( disney staff events seems to be on after park close the evening this week).
So the moment the show is over everyone is ushered off park in the opposite direction.

Agreed the drones looked good, but surely they could have done more with them ?? Eg characters in the sky?
Also why not create a full Micky head that morphs into the 30? Ok it will be smaller but it's alot of nothing! I want to see more movement in the drones! Use the space, also there is a moment where the 30 is flashing and the last flash looks like the bulb has gone out.

How is May and November for queues at DLP? Am I right in thinking queues will be well above average because of 30th celebrations?

Also, I take it guests from outside France need both global health insurance certificate [GHIC] and travel insurance?

Won't be overly busy in May (outside of the French and English holidays). And I always find November weekdays to be fairly quiet too. It's only really the weekends where you will see moderately big crowds.

I honestly don't think the 30th celebrations make that much difference tbh. We went for the 25th and it wasn't any busier than the year before when we also visited.

Covid Certificates are no longer required. It's always wise to have health insurance for any trip abroad.

You can go to the attraction que website ( the one for all theme parks) for pretty accurate predictions. Midweek between the Halloween and Christmas periods and decorations is Normally v quiet.

How is May and November for queues at DLP? Am I right in thinking queues will be well above average because of 30th celebrations?

Also, I take it guests from outside France need both global health insurance certificate [GHIC] and travel insurance?

So in an unexpected move, DLP have already updated Disney D-Light, the Illuminations pre-show which only premiered a couple of weeks back.

Previously guests watched D-Light before Illuminations, and then Disney Afterglow afterwards as a post show.

Afterglow has now gone and instead they’ve made D-Light longer to include it, essentially mashing the two shows into one long pre-show. There’s also some new drone effects we hadn’t seen before, with an homage to the iconic Disney film openings.

Good to see that they’re continuing to experiment with the drones. I wonder if we’ll see any more tweaks throughout the year.

It’d be interesting to understand the rationale behind this new change. I had seen quite a few reports saying lots of guests were leaving straight after Illuminations and not stopping for Afterglow, in spite of the announcements saying there was still something more to see. Perhaps they’re trying to address that.

Of course, the best bit about all of this is that you can now enjoy D-Light and Afterglow without having to endure Illuminations itself, which can only be a good thing!

Mcdonalds is set to be demolished, with no future at the park

ED92 have said it is to be demolished in its current form and relocated - supposedly by a mere few feet as in the previously announced Disney Village plans from several years ago.

I would highly doubt that Europe’s most profitable branch is set to disappear - if anything it was rumoured to be made bigger in the new plans.

Reactions: Ian
ED92 have said it is to be demolished in its current form and relocated - supposedly by a mere few feet as in the previously announced Disney Village plans from several years ago.

I would highly doubt that Europe’s most profitable branch is set to disappear - if anything it was rumoured to be made bigger in the new plans.
Yeah I'd imagine McDonald's have been smart enough that DLP cannot get rid of them easily. I wouldn't be surprised if DLP wanted to get rid of them though as it massively undercuts the resorts inhouse fast food offerings.

Perhaps naively, I assumed Disney owned the McDonald's franchise ?

Definitely not - it is indeed a franchised restaurant and owned by a private company (which around 80% of McDonalds are privately owned worldwide) with a single shareholder, which lucky them have around 20 McDonalds restaurants around the area as part of their holdings.

Given that holding franchisee company seemingly took some €92m in 2019 (dropping to around €60m in 2020 presumably due to covid) from my interpretation of French company records… I think they will be scrambling and likely paying Disney a lot of money to keep a stake at Disney Village 😂

Yeah I'd imagine McDonald's have been smart enough that DLP cannot get rid of them easily. I wouldn't be surprised if DLP wanted to get rid of them though as it massively undercuts the resorts inhouse fast food offerings.

Yeah I would assume they have long term contracts in place to permit them to have a restaurant.

I don’t think Disney perceive offering McDonalds on their property as a threat though - otherwise such an effort wouldn’t have been made to rebuild and extend the WDW McDonald’s restaurant on property in 2020 - I suspect they know it has a target market that want value offerings and are unlikely to have the money to spend on their own food prices - and those that can afford Disney food prices wouldn’t choose Maccies either 😂

It wouldn’t surprise me though if there was some heavy heavy ground rent and/or profit linked charges in place for these restaurants and big brands like McDs and Starbucks!

… I feel like I’m some kind of McDonald’s apologist now, however they served me well in my early student and cash strapped visits to DLP, and exactly likely the target market. Of course now it’s all 4 star hotels and Plus Meal Plans with 3 courses and fine dining all the way (except for a cheeky Earl of Sandwich for the drive home!) 🤣