• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Disneyland Paris: General Discussion

I’m wouldn’t rule out a copy of pandora instead of starwars land. The avatar films have been extremely popular in France, looking at box office numbers France is one of the top grossing countries outside of America and china. Plus I read recently the original film is constantly one of the top streamed movies on Disney plus in France and some other European countries.

This actually makes a lot more sense than cloning Galaxy's Edge. With the success of the second film it seems like Avatar will be around for quite some time, while the sequel trilogy is already fading into relative obscurity, for a Star Wars title anyway.

They really shot themselves in the foot with a couple of the fundamental design choices of Galaxy's Edge, namely theming it to the sequel trilogy and making it a "real place" within the canonical timeline of those films. I get what they were trying to do but you have to assume people would be much happier with a less steadfastly themed area that had content from all the movies and TV shows, instead of just the most recent 3. If I can do the trench run and go pod racing in the same area I'm not going to be totally upset that it doesn't make too much sense in terms of the series' fictional timeline.

to avoid licensing fees from the previous incarnation

To whom did the brand 'King Ludwig' belong to that it has to be licensed?! 😮

I thought it was just about Group Bertrand and Disney trying desperately to save the corpse of a decaying and dead concept that people aren't interested in anymore to be honest.

Looks like they've done a... great... job...

Spent the last four days in Paris. Opted for a trip out to Disney today ... Goodness me, this place is a building site - there's stuff going on everywhere and they're not even trying to hide it, as you would expect Disney to do.

I guess they can't in some ways, the studios more so - all very stark, no Avengers pun intended.

Last edited:
Spent the last four days in Paris. Opted for a trip out to Disney today ... Goodness me, this place is a building site - there's stuff going on everywhere and they're not even trying to hide it, as you would expect Disney to do.

I guess they can't in some ways, the studios more so - all very stark, no Avengers pun intended.
The scaffolding on the Disneyland Hotel was the worst example of this, at least when I went in November.

10th March was the annual pass party night, which was focused on the park’s history and backstory characters. They dug out quite a few old characters, some of which haven’t been around for a good while.
  • Captain Nemo from The Nautilus
  • The Ravenswoods from Phantom Manor
  • Merlin and Arthur in Fantasy Land
  • Diamond Lil various cowboys in Frontier Land
  • Various pirates including the Pirates and Princesses show, and some in the PoTC queueline
They also did a couple of one-night performances of old shows.

Don’t get your hopes up too much for any of these to become permanent features or foreshadowings of things to come; it was just a one-nighter for this event. Wouldn’t be surprised if some of the more specifically cast roles were freelance performers bought in for the one night.

He's in for a shock 😂. I give it to Disney the last few additions to the park have been done very well. I think if they add some green spaces to the main courtyard (where the statue is) and the area outside CineMagique it would tie the park in more and make it not look so bare and sparse.

Yeah, there’s already been a press conference called which Iger and D’Amaro will be speaking at. A couple of days ago it was going around on Twitter from apparent inside sources that the wording of the announcement had been very carefully selected to emphasise the conference is focused on “ongoing projects”.*

I’m expecting some kind of progress update and further details being revealed for the Studios expansion and perhaps some more official info about the Disneyland Hotel remodelling.

Or, ya know, maybe they’re going to turn around and say the Studios expansion will now include Runaway Railway, the Frozen coaster, full Galaxy’s Edge with both rides and Soarin’ over Europe… We can dream 😂

______

*EDIT - Scratch that. Just been told that apparently this is postponed to 12th April

full Galaxy’s Edge with both rides
Isn't the whole of Paris' Galaxy's Edge likely cancelled? I would love WDS Paris to get a Galaxy's Edge though, especially if it came with Rise of the Resistance.

I don’t know if it was ever officially “cancelled” but it was said to be “unlikely to go ahead” and quietly vanished from the concept art.

The more recent rumours were that the replacement third land could be either Pandora (Avatar) or a completely new concept based on The Lion King.

Personally I think it’d be great to see DLP get something completely unique again, but I certainly wouldn’t turn my nose up at a Pandora clone coming to WDS either. It’s a stunning area at AK.

If Iger (and the others) had any sense, this is what they would do to WDS Paris (of course when there were no people still in the park):
Screenshot 2023-03-16 13.27.28.png
Preferably I'd use Ivy Mike, but this still works I suppose. When avengers campus came it, that was the final nail I think for WDS. Ever since we lost RNRC there, it hasn't been the same. Bow it looks lole a combination of ITS with no relevancy to actually film studios and filmmaking. Even Rock N Roller Coaster kinda made sense since it was themed to rock music, lightshows, smoke effects, which screams Hollywood itself.

The whole Studio misnomer felt strained from day 1 because it wasn't a working studio (and a terrible product to boot).

The name being an unifying link between the various non-traditional Disney properties seems to be the current target. Bar the odd ride here and there.

Avengers Campus certainly looks a better replacement than the original area, even if RnRC could be argued as a better quality attraction. At the end of the day that was purely a light show, so not exactly Disney level quality you'd expect (especially with Space Mountain next door).

Avengers Campus certainly looks a better replacement than the original area, even if RnRC could be argued as a better quality attraction. At the end of the day that was purely a light show, so not exactly Disney level quality you'd expect (especially with Space Mountain next door).
After riding the Avengers thingy for the first time last week, I would say that on balance I preferred Rock n' Rollercoaster. But ... I should qualify that by saying that I have zero interest in MCU and I am a fan of Aerosmith.

We did use single rider, which meant we didn't see the pre-show, so I can't comment on that aspect of it and if it really improves the overall experience, or not.

If anything, it feels like the new overlay has made the ride too much like Space Mountain next door - especially whilst latter maintains the Star Wars theme. They're now both launched loopers, whizzing around in space with semi-interesting 'stuff' happening around you. RnRC was very distinct to that - even if the ride hardware was similar.

Overall, I suspect a lot of folks prefer the ride in its current form - Covid aside, the fact it took as long as it did for them to transform it pretty loosely, is very Disney.