• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Disneyland Paris: General Discussion

Don’t forget that a lot of the themed areas we don’t see as being based on an IP actually were back in 1955. The original Disneyland based Adventureland and Frontierland on TV shows that Disney had produced, Adventureland was going to be called True-Life Adventureland after the nature documentaries.
Also the original tree house at Disneyland was based on Swiss Family Robinson.

Saw some interesting information on TheMainStreetNews Twitter recently about the supposed planned water park way back for Euro Disney including some rather interesting and familiar looking conceptual art for it.

Lava Lagoon was planned before the resort opened for a phase 2 of development (which never happened due to the financial flop of Euro Disney), and the concept art looks a little familiar for those of you well versed on water parks around the world...

Fjsz6k5WAAERobN

(Did you immediately think... "Well that just looks like Volcano Bay!"... well you'd be right, because it was supposedly Imagineer Thierry Coup who designed the concept for Euro Disney, who later left Disney and joined Universal Creative... and now we have Volcano Bay! Coincidence? Hmmm!)

Lava Lagoon was set to be built over the road and between Sequoia Lodge and Newport Bay, with lake connections to allow for boat access too:

Fjsz7DgXoAA4RmJ

The water park was set to have both an indoor and outdoor area - which of course makes sense given the climate - with the outdoor area including a large sandy beach and pool, and the indoor area covered by a large dome and including a large volcano style mountain ('The Big Kahuna') with water slides and raft rides.

Fjsz8uMWIAA6x9g

They have also put together a video outlining a few more of the details of the water park on YouTube -

It, of course, is a shame that it was never built, as I can't help but feel that the resort would benefit from it massively right now. I don't think we'd see this concept taken any further either given that it would appear to be too close to Volcano Bay in concept now.

TheMainStreetNews also seem to suggest in the video that Les Villages Nature (which I believe is owned 50% by TWDC... although can't find the detail about it) also butchers some of the concept and demand for a water park with its Aqualagon offering.

However, I do wonder if they have been watching the success of Rulantica at Europa-Park and hopefully proven to Disney that the concept, success and demand of a water park in mainland Europe (especially with the climate in mind) would still work well - and maybe we might one day see a dedicated water park built at Disneyland Paris...?

Saw some interesting information on TheMainStreetNews Twitter recently about the supposed planned water park way back for Euro Disney including some rather interesting and familiar looking conceptual art for it.

Lava Lagoon was planned before the resort opened for a phase 2 of development (which never happened due to the financial flop of Euro Disney), and the concept art looks a little familiar for those of you well versed on water parks around the world...

Fjsz6k5WAAERobN

(Did you immediately think... "Well that just looks like Volcano Bay!"... well you'd be right, because it was supposedly Imagineer Thierry Coup who designed the concept for Euro Disney, who later left Disney and joined Universal Creative... and now we have Volcano Bay! Coincidence? Hmmm!)

Lava Lagoon was set to be built over the road and between Sequoia Lodge and Newport Bay, with lake connections to allow for boat access too:

Fjsz7DgXoAA4RmJ

The water park was set to have both an indoor and outdoor area - which of course makes sense given the climate - with the outdoor area including a large sandy beach and pool, and the indoor area covered by a large dome and including a large volcano style mountain ('The Big Kahuna') with water slides and raft rides.

Fjsz8uMWIAA6x9g

They have also put together a video outlining a few more of the details of the water park on YouTube -

It, of course, is a shame that it was never built, as I can't help but feel that the resort would benefit from it massively right now. I don't think we'd see this concept taken any further either given that it would appear to be too close to Volcano Bay in concept now.

TheMainStreetNews also seem to suggest in the video that Les Villages Nature (which I believe is owned 50% by TWDC... although can't find the detail about it) also butchers some of the concept and demand for a water park with its Aqualagon offering.

However, I do wonder if they have been watching the success of Aquatica at Europa-Park and hopefully proven to Disney that the concept, success and demand of a water park in mainland Europe (especially with the climate in mind) would still work well - and maybe we might one day see a dedicated water park built at Disneyland Paris...?

From what I've seen from many lost Disney projects over the years, many don't die but are put on the shelve until they are ready to be brought to life so this whole concept is no exception as something that could happen here and honestly it would really work for DLP.

Fjsz6k5WAAERobN

Fjsz7DgXoAA4RmJ

Fjsz8uMWIAA6x9g

However, I do wonder if they have been watching the success of Rulantica at Europa-Park and hopefully proven to Disney that the concept, success and demand of a water park in mainland Europe (especially with the climate in mind) would still work well - and maybe we might one day see a dedicated water park built at Disneyland Paris...?

The latest I read on this was below. Currently 50% Disney owned but maybe not for long.

From: https://twitter.com/dlpreport/status/1501864234795388929?s=46&t=gJmbknVZpq6whak0qNyQkQ

Sorry for the double post, but quick update on this since it has come just as this was being discussed:

From: https://twitter.com/salonmickeyblog/status/1605498002315026434?s=46&t=Ava0bXnpJB6hwUForQvzLw

Triple post(!) soz.

A few entertainment updates coming out of DLP today, the biggest news probably being the return of the Disney Dreams nighttime show from 12th April to replace Illuminations. Dreams has often been regarded as the much more superior show, I am happy to see it return.

There will also be a new Marvel night time show in the Studios park featuring over 500 drones. Plus a new show that was previously announced for the Studio Theatre featuring Pixar characters.

Oh and Small World is finally due to re-open in ‘Spring 2023’.

4699992F-61C2-47DE-8DEE-15B660F0D683.jpeg

How is it even possible that Small World has been closed for refurbishment since November 2021?

If they've not used that time to convert it into a duelling Aquatrax, have they at least sorted out that horrible open-plan office ceiling?

I believe as part of the work that entire ceiling has been removed and replaced.

There is also asbestos removal which I believe is what is taking the time.

Im actually quite shocked this was never posted on here, oh well, better late than never I suppose!

From: https://twitter.com/DLPReport/status/1464259555223912448?t=zhLqcnFjvqnHp1qNK-o59A&s=19

And with the rumours going about for the last few months, It COULD be actually happening in the near future. Either that, or it was just a nice little nod to the rides past.

I really hope that this happens. Hyperspace Mountain is a great ride, but a mess in terms of theming.

I am certain it will revert back to Space Mountain at some point in the future, it just depends on when. 2025 is perhaps most likely, as it will be the 30th anniversary of the ride. I hope it is sooner than that though.

I really hope that this happens. Hyperspace Mountain is a great ride, but a mess in terms of theming.
Completely agree.

Either convert whole thing to Star Wars or go back to the Jules Verne theming. They’re stuck in the middle currently and it’s distracting.

Back to the JV theme please and then get a Star Wars land in the Studios park as was originally planned. Furious they scrapped that.
TBH, the Star Wars lands already in existent weren't that popular to begin as they focused more on the polarising sequel trilogy instead of a land for all eras of SW which limited its appeal.

Would be good if they did bring Star Wars Land to Paris if they can do a few changes with it to make it more appealing.

TBH, the Star Wars lands already in existent weren't that popular to begin as they focused more on the polarising sequel trilogy instead of a land for all eras of SW which limited its appeal.

Would be good if they did bring Star Wars Land to Paris if they can do a few changes with it to make it more appealing.

Even if they brought the versions that have come to America it would still blow anything else away at the Studios Park lets be honest.

Does seem a real shame that Paris is always the poor child in the group. 'We' get very raw end of the deal.

Even if they brought the versions that have come to America it would still blow anything else away at the Studios Park lets be honest.

Does seem a real shame that Paris is always the poor child in the group. 'We' get very raw end of the deal.
The whole runt of the Disney parks thing with Paris can all be linked to the fact that it was built in France instead of either Spain or Italy and the fact that it opened during a recession in Europe at the time which all sadly made it looked as though it was doomed to fail no matter how good a park it was which is a shame as the Disneyland park itself is actually my favourite of the parks in terms of theming and unique takes on certain rides like Space Mountain, Phantom Manor etc.

Can't say the same about the WDS though.

I’m wouldn’t rule out a copy of pandora instead of starwars land. The avatar films have been extremely popular in France, looking at box office numbers France is one of the top grossing countries outside of America and china. Plus I read recently the original film is constantly one of the top streamed movies on Disney plus in France and some other European countries.

The whole runt of the Disney parks thing with Paris can all be linked to the fact that it was built in France instead of either Spain or Italy and the fact that it opened during a recession in Europe at the time which all sadly made it looked as though it was doomed to fail no matter how good a park it was which is a shame as the Disneyland park itself is actually my favourite of the parks in terms of theming and unique takes on certain rides like Space Mountain, Phantom Manor etc.

Can't say the same about the WDS though.

It's my favourite too but these are original instalments. I'm talking about new rides coming and Paris certainly doesn't get the fair end of the deal there.