• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Disneyland Paris: General Discussion

Given their recent identity politics in recent products, I'd say they were on the left but hey, they could be hypocrites deep down.
This is why the old ways of looking at the left right spectrum is redundant in modern times. Ruthless companies use perception of "progressiveness" as a marketing smokescreen to pretend they're kind, cuddly and caring. Whilst right wing politicians indoctrinate the downtrodden into thinking the "wokes" are to blame for all their problems. Both end in the same place where the rich and the corporations keep the cash rolling in whilst distracted working people fight amongst themselves for the scraps left behind.

Such a shame for everyone involved. I hope everyone at the park yesterday gets some sort of refund (Parades and End of night show being cancelled), and Disney take action
I dont really know much about the action taking place, but is it just one section of the cast members that are striking? Clearly there is enough cast members not striking to keep the park open.
It's cast members who work in entertainment. So there are no problems opening the parks and running the rides, but there are lots of shows and other entertainment being cancelled on the strike days.

Looks like the striking cast members refused to move from under the castle last night, hence the Disney D-Light and Disney Dreams being cancelled. Needless to say that did not go down well with the large crowd waiting for said shows, and Disney also decided to shut City Hall so people could not complain!

Do Disney really think they can just wait until August before negotiating? This is doing nothing for brand reputation.

It is absolutely wild to see this level of direct action happening within a Disney park, though if it was going to happen anywhere, it makes sense that it's in France. That strike poster playing on the Haunted Mansion stretching room paintings is an all-timer.

Their treatment of their employees is one of my biggest problems with Disney and as mentioned, this is doing very little to help their case in that regard. You would expect that a single day of striking employees interrupting the park to the point that they have to cancel shows would be enough for Disney to start negotiating, if only for the sake of the guests paying hundreds of euros to visit the parks right now, but apparently not.

Universal seem to be doing just fine and have gone through the same pandemic. They are even continuing with their new park which is obviously going to end up costing billions.

Disney thought they were ready for the streaming age with Disney plus and it's not gone as well as they had hoped it would. This is what all this is about.

In case anyone isn't aware, there are no direct Eurostar services from London to DLP anymore. It was announced last year and the last service ran on Monday. A change will be required at Lille or Paris Gare du Nord from now on unfortunately.

Apparently they've replaced the squid animatronic in the Nautilus with a screen.

Without visiting in person it's a bit hard to judge, although on the surface it sounds like a downgrade.

The standard of theme park articles in the mainstream press has always been pretty low, but Forbes have done a really good one looking at the financial state of Disneyland Paris.
It's interesting that they still pay Disney royalties even though it's now wholly owned by Disney. Presumably to pay tax where it's lower?

So the new annual passes have been made public.
More expensive, but a lot of the the best perks are no more.

Declining guest experience and a deterioration in overall quality.. Disney can no longer be considered 'the best' at designing and running theme parks.

Guess I've got more of a reason to get season passes at the likes of Liseberg, Efteling, Europa or Legoland Billund, as well as visit Phantasialand more.

356283392_1441829803278381_7362281584945738967_n.png

357647458_264546199528528_138151428060134049_n.png

Last edited:
So the new annual passes have been made public.
More expensive, but a lot of the the best perks are no more.

Declining guest experience and a deterioration in overall quality.. Disney can no longer be considered 'the best' at designing and running theme parks.

Guess I've got more of a reason to get season passes at the likes of Liseberg, Efteling, Europa or Legoland Billund, as well as visit Phantasialand more.

356283392_1441829803278381_7362281584945738967_n.png

357647458_264546199528528_138151428060134049_n.png
Oh my that is sooo expensive! And not very good perks at all for the Silver and Bronze passes - ERT should be standard and discounts should start at 10% for the most basic pass IMO.

I sort of feel as though this has been done to price out a big chunk of the market though - there isn't really an incentive for the park to drive pass sales as they can make far more money by selling holiday packages to non-regular visitors. I feel like they've missed a trick though - secondary sales for passholders are probably quite high especially on merchandise (pin badges in particular are a money spinner!) - and we all know how overpriced the food options are.

It seems in line with what we've seen elsewhere, with a conscious effort to reduce the numbers of passholders while maintaining the same income so the parks can be less busy without losing revenue overall. I'm all for it tbh, and would love to see the back of the Merlin bargain passes.
I agree, although I think Merlin have also moved their pass prices in the right direction too, also concentrating on making off-peak days where there is spare capacity is a low price and hiking up the other passes.

It looks like the next thing Disney are going to balls up is Sequoia Lodge. I'm all up for hotels getting a refurb and a different look but Disney's current process of stripping any warmth or theming out of a hotel are pretty disappointing.

There were similar complain with the new lodges at Disney's Wilderness Lodge at WDW.

Looks like late 1993 or the start of 1994. Casey Jr. is shown but not named.

Fascinating to think of Discovery Land without its icon, Space Mountain. Also strange to realise that Star Tours pre-dated it.

Can't begin to state how much I loathe this company. I used to love Disney too and their parks but the last 4-5 years has been nothing short of a disgrace. A complete and utter cash grab.

The magic has totally gone now. They are just living off the IP's whilst Universal just keep going down strength to strength.

To be fair this is the Universal that doesn't take card payments in some of the quick service restaurants to encourage mobile ordering (cash only), the Universal that makes you use the smallest locker that doesn't have space for a normal sized bag, the Universal that has cut most of it's live entertainment, got rid of most of the special effects and is now cutting back on the 3D, possibly to save the costs of washing and replacing glasses. Part of the reason Disney are 'getting away' with certain things is because Universal are easing off on the gas. Although to be fair that affects the American parks more than Paris.

To be fair this is the Universal that doesn't take card payments in some of the quick service restaurants to encourage mobile ordering (cash only), the Universal that makes you use the smallest locker that doesn't have space for a normal sized bag, the Universal that has cut most of it's live entertainment, got rid of most of the special effects and is now cutting back on the 3D, possibly to save the costs of washing and replacing glasses. Part of the reason Disney are 'getting away' with certain things is because Universal are easing off on the gas. Although to be fair that affects the American parks more than Paris.
Lockers don't bother me. I don't tend to carry anything I can't fit in my pocket when I go to Universal and Disney so don't use them.

I bet the vloggers hate them though.