• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Disneyland Paris: General Discussion

Can't even take a phone in your pocket into queues for some rides at Universal though, not ideal in a long queue, means you may need to make actual conversation with real life people. Eugh.
Universal’s policy on new-build attractions such as VelociCoaster is better for this; that ride places the lockers and metal detectors not long before the station, meaning that you can have phones and such with you for the bulk of the queue and only have to relinquish them when you get towards the end of the queue.

It’s only the older rides where metal detectors were retrofitted, like Hulk, where you’re not allowed to have anything in the queue with you.
To be fair this is the Universal that doesn't take card payments in some of the quick service restaurants to encourage mobile ordering (cash only), the Universal that makes you use the smallest locker that doesn't have space for a normal sized bag, the Universal that has cut most of it's live entertainment, got rid of most of the special effects and is now cutting back on the 3D, possibly to save the costs of washing and replacing glasses. Part of the reason Disney are 'getting away' with certain things is because Universal are easing off on the gas. Although to be fair that affects the American parks more than Paris.
Where are you getting this information from, out of interest? I don’t deny some of what you say, but some of it doesn’t personally match my recent experience.

I went to Universal a month ago, and both parks still have a fair amount of entertainment (IOA still had a fair amount of shows, and USF in particular had at least 1 or 2 shows and a plethora of street entertainment), the vast majority of rides seemed to be in perfect working order effects-wise, and every ride I did that ever had 3D still has it.

To be fair, the locker situation isn't just an issue for vloggers. They used to have sensible sized lockers you could fit a normal bag in. There are all kinds of things people might want to have with them in a theme park: rain coats, sweatshirts (it gets cold in winter, even in Florida), water bottles, sun cream, cameras, a book to read on the bus there... Telling people they shouldn't bring a normal sized bag into your theme park is hardly magical.

Universal’s policy on new-build attractions such as VelociCoaster is better for this; that ride places the lockers and metal detectors not long before the station, meaning that you can have phones and such with you for the bulk of the queue and only have to relinquish them when you get towards the end of the queue.

It’s only the older rides where metal detectors were retrofitted, like Hulk, where you’re not allowed to have anything in the queue with you.

Where are you getting this information from, out of interest? I don’t deny some of what you say, but some of it doesn’t personally match my recent experience.

I went to Universal a month ago, and both parks still have a fair amount of entertainment (IOA still had a fair amount of shows, and USF in particular had at least 1 or 2 shows and a plethora of street entertainment), the vast majority of rides seemed to be in perfect working order effects-wise, and every ride I did that ever had 3D still has it.
It’s based primarily on my experiences of visiting Universal Orlando as an annual passholder who lives a few miles away (I’ve never been to any other Universal park). But I’m generally glad you have a good experience Matt, so I’m not trying to cloud your memories. I do think Universal is going downhill though.

They do still have some good shows. The Horror Make Up show is fun and the Bourne Stuntacular is a fantastic show. But they’ve got rid of Fear Factor Live, The Beatle Juice show, and the Sinbad Stunt Show, all without replacements. Outside of events they no longer have parades, although the Christmas and Mardi Gras Parades are very good. At Disney if you want to see a seasonal parade you have to go to a hard ticket event and pay $180 for the privilege. They don’t currently have a nighttime show, having axed the one on the lake at the Studio’s park.

Most of the special effects have gone. Jaws, Kongfrontation, Twister, Disaster, Poseidon’s Fury… The Mummy still has impressive effects, and the fireball on Spiderman’s good, as are the effect in the Bourne stunt show, but for a park that used to be famous for its special effects, few attractions still have them. And guest surveys have asked people what they’d think about them removing The Mummy, which would remove the last ride with significant special effects.

I believe that Minion Mayhem had the glasses removed, and Fast and Furious was going to be 3D until a late design change.

I think Minion Mayhem is the only thing that actively had 3D removed, but I chose not to ride it last trip anyway. Otherwise I agree with both of you. I miss Sinbad stunt show, but otherwise I don’t think the parks are significantly worse than 10 years ago.

It looks like the next thing Disney are going to balls up is Sequoia Lodge. I'm all up for hotels getting a refurb and a different look but Disney's current process of stripping any warmth or theming out of a hotel are pretty disappointing.

There were similar complain with the new lodges at Disney's Wilderness Lodge at WDW.

Maybe I am in the minority, but I quite like this look. The biggest complaints about Sequioa Lodge tend to be that it is ‘dark and old fashioned’ so this addresses that. DLPReport did tweet that in real life it’s not quite as bright as in those photos.

In other news the promised new lighting to improve Flight Force has been switched on from today. Good to see them come back to this ride and make improvements.

From: https://twitter.com/dlpreport/status/1682280855383711746?s=46&t=zG_i8R9vX93ZZU0RljfzWA

Yeah I have to say, as much as I do like Sequoia Lodge as a hotel it’s probably the most desperately needed refurb of the lot (well, now that Granny Sheets Disneyland Hotel is being remodelled). The rooms are horribly dated and desperately need modernising.

I’d also say that in terms of “character” and “theming” there’s not too much to get worried about in my opinion. Those rooms have a themed Bambi border strip, a leaf patterned carpet and that’s about it. They’re hardly starting with elaborate rooms to begin with. When they come to renewing Newport Bay’s rooms then I’ll start getting a bit twitchy… The updates they made at Yacht Club (WDW’s answer to Newport Bay Club) look nice and fresh, but do lack theming and personality. They’re just a modern hotel room you might find in any Hilton-esque chain:

Old
29106577567c87184945b737ac3f26a0.jpg

New
20210429_Disney-Yacht-Club_SHull-9.jpg

Think the concept of trees will be similar. And interesting that they’ll be keeping the facades on one side. I think having one queue line will definitely help - waiting for food at En Coulisse can be a chore.

I might be the only one but I’m going to miss some of the original parts of WDS.

Think the concept of trees will be similar. And interesting that they’ll be keeping the facades on one side. I think having one queue line will definitely help - waiting for food at En Coulisse can be a chore.

I might be the only one but I’m going to miss some of the original parts of WDS.
I'm with you, I'm in the minority but I really like Studio 1. Maybe it's because I've grown up with it but it's always been one of my favourite areas of Studios. (not that it has many)

I think it’s nostalgia for the behind-the-scenes movie park. As a child of the 90s they form an important part of my childhood - Granada Studios anyone? Always had a a soft spot for the Armageddon attraction - it was the last of one of those type of attractions.