• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Disneyland Paris: General Discussion

@jon81uk is spot on. It’s well-established that another park in WDW would not drive a worthwhile increase in spend or stay duration. That was shown by Animal Kingdom not bumping the needle in the way it was expected to.

Disney have been doing the bear minimum in Orlando for many years. Those additions they have made aren’t direct responses to Universal, they’re the least they could get away with doing in an attempt to maintain attendance (which seems to be dropping now anyway). I’d be shocked if a fifth park is built in the next decade, what is far more likely is an increase in discounts (which we’re already seeing significant amounts of) and perhaps some actual park improvements in the medium term in a further attempt to arrest attendance decline.

Tbf Paris get their fair share of rainfall / inclement weather. Further weather proofing the parks makes a lot of sense.

I remember my first ever trip to DLP. It was when I was in college around 2002 and we went in the January. The park was filled with snow and I can remember never feeling as cold in my entire life.

I'd love another huge indoors attraction at the resort too. Ideally another coaster but I'd be fine with another dark ride too if that's what they went with.

DLP is investing in the future, if universal does come to Europe. Making the park a better place in the colder months is certainly a way to encourage year round visits. I expect we will see more investment in winter offerings.

I would like to see them possibly build an indoor water park similar to the Europa Park offering, with sections outside for summer.

I think some people underestimate the appetite of a water park day especially for Children.

A Waterpark within the Village complex would make logical sense, especially with the current redo.

Filling in the rest of the gaps within the Kingdom would also help. Getting Little Mermaid and Beauty & The Beast clones would be a start.

A Waterpark within the Village complex would make logical sense, especially with the current redo.

Filling in the rest of the gaps within the Kingdom would also help. Getting Little Mermaid and Beauty & The Beast clones would be a start.
Or Mickey and Minnie's which would be an easy win for the main park.

Or Mickey and Minnie's which would be an easy win for the main park.
I feel if rise otr comes to the park that won't. I hear more about the potential of rotr over runaway. Also if I had to say one then rise is a far better choice because it's easier to make that more multilingual.

I’d say quite the opposite in terms of language. Having ridden both, Rise is incredibly dialogue heavy throughout, and is needed to really explain what’s going on at each point in the journey (something which is actually one of its failings if like me you can’t hear onboard audio clearly - thankfully I already knew the script before riding!).

You also have the various pre-shows, particularly the last one before boarding which would be incredibly difficult to maintain its impact and effect if you had to cover both languages. You could allow the hosts to select an English or French version, but as there’s still multiple groups in each room you’d risk someone missing out.

By contrast, Runaway Railway has its pre-show in an actual cinema where you are told you’re coming to watch a new Mickey Mouse short. It’s one of the few times where you could show English or French subtitles on the screen and it would actually fit thematically! Plus, the dialogue in that pre-show is very light on the ground. Aside from singing Nothing Can Stop Us Now, literally the only spoken lines tells you Mickey and Minnie are going for a drive around a park, and Goofie asking you to step through the archway.

Onboard, the only real scene you’d want to present bilingually would be the track jump, which has plenty of time to cover both if slightly abridged. The rest of the ride you can still enjoy and tell what’s going on without the spoken lines. Again though, with some simple re-writes of the script you could easily do Mickey speaking English and Minnie French to cover both bases like DLP have done in the past.

If it was my decision I’d be looking to introduce Rise and Galaxy’s Edge into Parc Disneyland behind Discovery Land - possibly re-routing the entrance to Star Tours to the back of the building in the process to provide greater consistency - and then put Runaway Railway in Studios, possibly in the area around Place du Stars where Cinemagique and Stitch Live are (though you’d have to get a bit creative with the space…).

If it was my decision I’d be looking to introduce Rise and Galaxy’s Edge into Parc Disneyland behind Discovery Land - possibly re-routing the entrance to Star Tours to the back of the building in the process to provide greater consistency - and then put Runaway Railway in Studios, possibly in the area around Place du Stars where Cinemagique and Stitch Live are (though you’d have to get a bit creative with the space…).
Yeah so much space for a massive area in Discoveryland if they rip out the old pizza place and the theatre (since Philharmagique doesnt fit the area anyway) and having Star Tours there would save the need to building a 2nd new Star Wars ride to fill the area.

Place du Stars supposedly has space for Soarin' left so I reckon they could stick MMRR in but personally I would rip out Flying Carpets and stick it there, that ride is really out of place and has plenty of space behind it.

On a separate note there has been a long standing rumour for a number of years that Dinosaur in Animal Kingdom would be rethemed to Indiana Jones and whenever they did that they would make double of everything to make a clone in DLP's Adventure Land.... recent announcements suggest the first step of this is closer than ever so could we maybe see this actually happen?

Reactions: Ian
I’d say quite the opposite in terms of language. Having ridden both, Rise is incredibly dialogue heavy throughout, and is needed to really explain what’s going on at each point in the journey (something which is actually one of its failings if like me you can’t hear onboard audio clearly - thankfully I already knew the script before riding!).

You also have the various pre-shows, particularly the last one before boarding which would be incredibly difficult to maintain its impact and effect if you had to cover both languages. You could allow the hosts to select an English or French version, but as there’s still multiple groups in each room you’d risk someone missing out.

By contrast, Runaway Railway has its pre-show in an actual cinema where you are told you’re coming to watch a new Mickey Mouse short. It’s one of the few times where you could show English or French subtitles on the screen and it would actually fit thematically! Plus, the dialogue in that pre-show is very light on the ground. Aside from singing Nothing Can Stop Us Now, literally the only spoken lines tells you Mickey and Minnie are going for a drive around a park, and Goofie asking you to step through the archway.

Onboard, the only real scene you’d want to present bilingually would be the track jump, which has plenty of time to cover both if slightly abridged. The rest of the ride you can still enjoy and tell what’s going on without the spoken lines. Again though, with some simple re-writes of the script you could easily do Mickey speaking English and Minnie French to cover both bases like DLP have done in the past.

I was on about the 2 different star wars rides personally smugglers run and rise. As I believe they would happily add more star wars to discovery land. They have the space behind it and that whole area in discovery land could be starwars. I'm sure switching onboard audio would not be difficult because groups are batched prior to riding the second part of rise. Yes the first section would need to be tweaked but again batching could be done.

I hope in a few years we will see a version of magic band appear at the park that could be of more use to the teams as it could discreetly be used to power language selection.

I have a feeling they won't build another Galaxy's Edge, in Paris or anywhere else, because as cool as it is to be inside Star Wars, it's still based on a set of movies that, well, aren't all that good. I've posted about this before but setting Galaxy's Edge around the new trilogy instead of the classic one was a huge mistake, and I would guess they aren't in a hurry to triple down on it by building a third one.

As a big fan of the original trilogy, Galaxy's Edge is especially infuriating because all of the cool things they included are just things straight out of the original trilogy: riding in the Millenium Falcon, drinking in a cantina, being on a ship with a Mon Calamari captain, a thrilling escape from a Star Destroyer as a villain in a black helmet chases you, building a lightsaber with Yoda, hugging Chewbacca, seeing an X-Wing, the list goes on and on. Unfortunately they were too afraid to deviate from the original movies in making the sequels, so the end result is this uncanny valley feeling where it's all the things you loved from the original movies, except they're all called different names and look a bit off.

To put it another way: Think of the scale of ROTR, basically unparalleled as far as themed entertainment goes, and then imagine about how little it would take to retheme the ride entirely to the original Star Wars. Reskin four or five animatronics, give the cast members new costumes and scripts to read, re-record some audio and switch the Rey hologram for a Princess Leia one, and replace BB-8 with R2D2, and you're basically there.

Anyway, all that to say: I don't think Star Wars is the answer to the immediate question of DLP's future. I would personally love to see a clone of the Beauty and the Beast ride from Tokyo, as well as Runaway Railway, but at least for Studios I think there's so much room for improvement that they need to think a little bigger than simply cloning things from other parks.

Given that Disney are hermeroging money atm and Thier stock price tanking it make you wonder where all this money comes from and the debts being built in the process. More star wars areas is a big gable on a franchise Disney is running into the ground.

Current rumours are pointing towards the next new land in the studios to now be some kind of Lion king land, as strange as that seems and will see a large E-ticket boat ride using the magnetic boat ride system used on Shanghai’s pirates ride. It’s also expected avatar/pandora is being looked at particularly as both films have performed exceptional well in France and before the second film was released France was one of the top markets for streaming the original on Disney-+. However it could be Pandora comes after the rumoured Lion King area or it’s added as an additional land in the main park in the area once reserved for indianna jones adventure.

There is a rumour that in regards to Starwars they are looking at the land behind discovery land but it won’t feature either of galaxy edge rides, one rumour is imagineering are working on a large coaster, based on speed bikes, and would be a coaster in similar style to Hagrids at universal.

Given that Disney are hermeroging money atm and Thier stock price tanking it make you wonder where all this money comes from and the debts being built in the process. More star wars areas is a big gable on a franchise Disney is running into the ground.
I think they are going to spend a lot less on new TV shows for Disney+ and instead see the theme parks as an area of growth. Basically theme parks have more potential to make money than streaming.

I think they are going to spend a lot less on new TV shows for Disney+ and instead see the theme parks as an area of growth. Basically theme parks have more potential to make money than streaming.
100% this. The theme parks is what makes Disney money, and for some reason they seemed to have forgotten this. I assume because Marvel was basically a money printer for a while.

I not been the Cinema since Jan 2020 and the cost of 4 tickets to see a movie is £44 then you factor in parking, petrol and snacks even from a supermarket roughly £60. 3 months later I can rent it for £14 or wait another 3 and it will be available to stream as part of the monthly package.
So can understand why Disney wants to invest more money into there parks as they want guests to keep on coming back.