• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Do you find The Smiler rough?

Do you find The Smiler rough?

• Total voters
Complete contrast from my back left hell last week. Three super smooth rides on it today. Not sure if it was something to do with the weather?
Same. Had three rides on it today and it wasn't rough at all. The train had a rattle, but that didn't bother me in the slightest honestly.
Funnily enough, on my first ride, my friend (GP who hasn't ridden before) said he got headbanging whereas it was butter smooth for me. We were front row, he was centre-right, I was right hand side. He is a fair bit shorter than me, so I reckon body shape has a lot to do with it.

Thoroughly enjoyed each ride on it, it was super intense today!

The ride in my opinion is smooth. The only rough part is 12th inversion. You get an awful jolt on it.

I agree, went to towers a few weeks ago and got a fair amount of rides in on The Smiler. From every seat I was sat in it seemed smoother than previous seasons, as others have suggested. The only major jolts being the inversion on the first drop and the second part of the cobra roll. Came off it every time without a headache which was nice.

To me for a newish ride it jolts a lot. Not surprised though poor build quality and it was left standing to rot for a year. Great ride and amazing layout considering the space it take up. I can’t help but feel it’s a missed opportunity though

After a bit of thought, I have changed my vote from "no" to "maybe". I still think The Smiler is a good ride, and I wouldn't say it's as unbearably rough as some older Gerstlauers I've done (aka Speed and Saw), but I definitely wouldn't call it smooth; it has a noticeable judder to it and has some pronounced jolts, in my opinion. I also find the final 3 inversions to be quite rough. Still, I suppose you can't really expect a 14-looping coaster with nearly 4000ft of track within such a compact space to be glass smooth!

After a bit of thought, I have changed my vote from "no" to "maybe". I still think The Smiler is a good ride, and I wouldn't say it's as unbearably rough as some older Gerstlauers I've done (aka Speed and Saw), but I definitely wouldn't call it smooth; it has a noticeable judder to it and has some pronounced jolts, in my opinion. I also find the final 3 inversions to be quite rough. Still, I suppose you can't really expect a 14-looping coaster with nearly 4000ft of track within such a compact space to be glass smooth!
Unless it's a b&m...

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk

Still no, the only jolts are on the 2nd and 12th inversion and that is literally it, and they're not unbearable in the slightest, went on 4 times on Saturday and it's still absolutely fine imo.

Smilers roughness depends on how old the wheel compounds are. They have to use hard compounds to prevent stalling and these age quicker than softer ones so age badly.

Other than the jolts, the jolts are just bad construction

Just had my best ever smiler ride by some way. 2nd row left seat. Pretty smooth all in all only the jolt on the second section cobra was realy notable. Air time hillls are the best part of the ride.

Not a smiler fan by any means but that was one of the few times I have enjoyed it.

I agree, went to towers a few weeks ago and got a fair amount of rides in on The Smiler. From every seat I was sat in it seemed smoother than previous seasons, as others have suggested. The only major jolts being the inversion on the first drop and the second part of the cobra roll. Came off it every time without a headache which was nice.

That’s unavoidable after the rectification work they had to do on that drop