• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Do you think that there should be a Towersstreet talk app?

soundwave96

TS Member
I have started this topic because I use my phone a lot and like to go on the internet and like to go on the towersstreet talk website but it is a real pain so I think it would be quicker to get an app an click on it and logo in.

I would like to here all of your views and to see what other people think.

I would love to hear your views.

There is one. It's called Tapatalk, and should be available from your App Store/Play Store/Store for whatever OS your phone runs. You may have to pay for it, but it's definitely worth it. :)

As Jonathan said, Tapatalk is very good for reading forums on your phone. If you meant TST should have a dedicated phone app, then I don't think it would work. The official Alton Towers app hasn't exactly been a huge success.

1. We have Tapatalk.

2. The Alton Towers Guide for it to be accessable from the mass market already exists with TowersNerd and we don't even have any on the site yet.

3. The team are already under a lot of work.

Good idea though.

Great idea, maybe a project for the community once the main site is finished. Could be a great way to arrange meets, news, discussion.

It could have a chat function, news, meets and forum

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It's a good idea. Although something that we're unlikely to look at for a long while.

As mentioned by several other members there is Tapatalk which is available form the app store. It costs around £2.99 for Apple and Blackberry users and around £1.99 for Android users as of this moment. It is very much worth the money. I use it myself and it makes the forum far more accessible than using Safari or mobile browsers.

As for the long run, will there be a TowersStreet App? Never say never. Although we're all busy working on shaping the mainframe of TowersStreet at the moment. Once we launch our website, have the brand image finalised and are settled then who knows. It may be a feature we may consider one day.

I definitely felt think it's something we should look at. Perhaps some talented members could work on it along side the team?

I would genuinely like to see something like an app happen for TST due to the faff for those who actually can't purchase Tapatalk and have to recluse to their generic phone browser ;) It wouldn't have to be big or incredibly special, merely lightweight, just would be useful to have it at the sideline like Facebook or Twitter.

EDIT: I take the Tapatalk statement back, I just realised I can buy it.

If there was an app could it include shoutbox access?

**EDIT**
Jamie I use Tapatalk and it works very well (as you may have seen)

Could be a really cool way to get news as well.

News/Meets/Forum/Chat/Site

News : Allows comments on news articles and alerts you when something new is put up (sign in with facebook)
Meets : Contains the the dates and info on every meet throughout the year with the Time/Accom/Meeting Point/Hashtag. Allows someone to say they are attending.
Forum : Difficult to do perhaps a link to a mobile version of the site as obviously couldnt compete with tapatalk.
Chat : Live chat room made more use of during meets.
Site : Link to mobile version of the main site.

An app for mobile users would be good, but I wouldn't expect to see a full app in any app store. If we were to have an app, it would be easier to make a web app. I have previously looked into costs of putting an app on apple's app store - but it's a lot of faff, and rather expensive. The android marketplace is much better for apps (lower cost) - but for how many people would actually get a TST app, I personally think it pointless.

Web apps are much easier - and are created easily enough with basic knowledge of HTML, Javascript, etc. If anyone's unsure, I'm talking about the 'add to home screen' type of app.

I think our official line about an app is that whilst it is a great thing, it is rather a nicety to have rather than something thats needed right now considering what we do need to achieve first (in terms of the website etc!) :D

Whilst the functionality of an app of our own would hopefully tie things in together nicely, there are plenty of other apps that do great jobs and aren't just limited to us right now - we have a RSS feed for news and forums that can be plugged into many great apps (Boxcar for iPhone off the top of my head) that will alert to new news and forum posts.

And Tapatalk is an outstanding app that is multiplatform for access to the forums. But if you can't afford Tapatalk (and we appreciate some people don't want to shell out for it solely for us, although there are thousands of forums that now use it), I believe there is a free version of Tapatalk around, but we also have a "light" WAP version of the forum at http://www.towersstreet.com/talk/?wap2 that should work with even the oldest of phones :D

We would rather be better placed to create a 'web app' version of our site but thats a really long way down the roadmap right now given the situation the team are in and how much things have changed over the last few weeks with us all :p

Nonetheless its a great idea and we'll continue to keep it in mind for now on our roadmap for the future :D