• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Doctor Who

James said:
Islander said:
bluesonichd said:
So who did john hurt regenerate into? Im Confused :S
Eccleston (hence the quip about hoping not to return with big ears :) )

If you look closely too just before the end of the regeneration scene you can see Eccleston's eyes on Hurt!

They did want Eccleston to come on the show and do a cameo although sadly he wants nothing to do with Doctor Who any more.

:eek: :eek: Ahhhhh, well shows how much I follow the show, up till now I thought the timewar happened before Hartnell stole the Tardis. For years I've been confused and trying to work out how the timeline fitted together. :p

I'm not sure agree with the slating of the episode above, for me it was the best episode of who with Smith as the lead.

I do agree, however, that it's time for Moffat to step aside. His writing style is far too demanding on the viewers, and apparently he's destroying the production of the series.

For me personally, it was another confusion Moffat storyline, though I did kinda get it eventually, sort of slow to start off with, but did end on a good note, even though I had no idea what my hype levels were.

If they are bringing back the Time lords, to me that can only be a good thing. I personally always thought it was rather cheap to have them killed off to begin with in the new series. as I always did enjoy the episodes with the Time lords in the old series.

Like others here, I do wonder if Moffat decides to step down from writing and for Capaldi to become the next Doctor, maybe things might pick up?

For a while it had potential. That moment where they were all about to push the button together really worked. But then they had to go and ruin it.

They may as well have ended it with Paul McGann waking up in the shower to find it was all a dream.

I think 'the moment' is a cop out for the rule of Who time travel laws (TTL).

The line "We should not be here, this point should be time locked" Is a nod to the fact they have broken a TTL. a line they did not answer, however it was the moment that opened the fissures linking Matt's doctor to Davids's doctor, and then the war doctor.

maybe 'the moment' the most powerful weapon in the Gallifren arsenal could suspend the TTLs allowing the cross over of the doctors into they own timeline. Then protect the memory of the war doctor blowing up Gallifrey to keep the timeline sort of in tacked until near the end of matt's doctor as it should be a fixed point in time. This was nodded to in the art gallery with the 3 doctors. with the converstion between, matt and david, with davids doctor wanting spoilers saying "I wont remember it when i leave here"

I'm 44 and followed And brought every Doctor Who video then to DVD but I'm glad he's going its a pain because I won't be buying any of Matt Smiths episodes I have totally taken him out of my favourite show in the UK. And as for Steven Moffett he needs stinging up for episodes that only 5 years or if your stoned can understand. Thank goodness for Wizards and Aliens great story's and some very emotional moments. Hope fully the new Doctor will be better but with that Muppet in charge I doubt it.

I really like Matt Smith, would certainly put him above Tennant, Ecclestone and Baker.

Moffats a better writer than RTD but I think the show needs a new lead.

I would put Smith as my second best new Doctor. Eccleston wins for me, because of his dark but twisted humour. Actually, dare I say it, John Hurt would have made a pretty good Doctor in a real series or two. But, like McGan, we never really had a chance to see what he could do.

Either way, Tennant is by far the worst of the new Doctors. (I see little point comparing old to new, but if you want to know, a tie between Pertwee and Baker. Also a soft spot for McCoy due to watching as a kid).

It's a shame that Moffett writes such complex story arcs, his one off episodes were really good. He's a good writer (Coupling is underrated, but I would say it is one of the funniest sitcoms of the 2000's), I just think his ambitions are better suited to a completely different sci fi show. :p

I feel the same as Diogo regarding the Doctors. Eccleston has been my favourite out of the "New Who", it's a shame he only stayed for one series, he got the Doctor just right I feel. Smith is my second favourite, he's great with the role although I think his acting is too good for the show and the writers do not take full advantage of his acting abilities.

Tennant was the worst, especially towards the end of his run going around being all depressive and the "I don't want to go" line was just a joke. It would have worked with Eccleston maybe, but with Tennant having all those annoying fangirls it was just a terrible final line to use. I found it hilarious when all the fangirls were stating Doctor Who is 'dead' without him and should be axed. Yeah, this show will cope quite fine without you pre-teen girls watching it. :p

Moffat is a brilliant writer. Although he gets far too 'into' complex stories and arcs. I'm personally fine with that as I love complex stories and prefer plots that make you think. But for a mainstream audience Moffat hasn't quite perfected it as his full series have gone on. They just get more and more complicated and I can see why people get so confused with what's going on.

Moffat would work well as a writer for Torchwood I think, that would be perfect for him. :p

Here's a few bits of information that came out last week regarding series eight (Capaldi's first full series debut):
- Moffat has confirmed that series 8 will be a full series with no splits. This will be the first full series since 2010, crazy!
- Filming is due to begin in January 2014. There are rumours some secret filming has already begun.
- It is believed that an episode will be cut from the main series resulting in series 8 having 12 episodes, not the traditional 13 (not confirmed yet).
- Series 8 is rumoured to air Summer 2014 (I have my bets on the very end of August).

Not much but may be of interest to those handful of you that do not follow Doctor Who fansites and so on.

Of the new doctors I go Smith, Eccleston, Tennant. Think Smith has that quirky fun facade with the dark core just right.... Something all the best doctors have.

For me the doctor order is:

Tom Baker
Hartnell
Troughton
Smith
Pertwee
McCoy
Davison
Eccleston
McGann
Colin Baker
Tennant

Not included Hurt as it was one episode.

Haha, I don't understand the hate for Tennant's last words? Is it not perfectly natural to feel fear or reluctance before death (or regeneration if you want to be specific, although his soul still "died" either way). Tennant's goodbyes were, to me at least, fantastic and emotionally charged television. Ecceleston's regeneration was admittedly more subtle and better acted but Tennant's was by no means poor.

I didn't hate Tennant's last words. Just found the words just didn't fit right with Tennant's Doctor. Ecceleston or even Smith using the words would work better in my eyes.

David Tennant built up a very big 'fangirl' base. So his final words in a way were taken far too much by said fans - resulting in a lot of backlash since the show has not had him on the screens. I've even seen people write things like "He didn't want to go but died. Matt Smith isn't the Doctor. He doesn't deserve it" which just goes to show how much of a stupid impact his final words had. Not that I'm blaming all of it on the final words. David Tennant couldn't help attracting young fangirls. :p

It actually annoys me how much negativity there was after Tennant left when the whole basis of the show is that the main character is forever changing!

For me personally his final words should have been something a bit softer. I found his last episode quite emotional although the minute that line was said I just rolled my eyes and lost any emotion I had up to that point.

I know a lot of people liked his exit and his time on the show but meh, I enjoyed watching Tennant on the show but he didn't do it for me as The Doctor.

On the contrary, I think that Tennant's words were pretty much exactly right for the character.

This is the Doctor that regenerated into himself, the 'Time Lord Victorious'. Arrogance was at the core of his character, it was clear that he felt comfortable in that body. When he finally realises that there is no turning back and it really is the end of that body he really would not want to change, he's fought it so long.

I have worries about Christmas. Moffat seems to be intent in wrapping up the entire smith era and many of it's story arcs in an episode with a heap of new monsters. The episode could either be a stroke of genius, or an impossible to follow mess with too many things going on. Moffat's recent episodes seem to be better than his writing around series 6, so I have hope that it will be a satisfying conclusion.

I'm really looking forward to Series 8 now, it sounds much more linear and conventional than the last three, and hopefully this will be more the style of the Capaldi era. The companion, for once, won't have a ridiculous story arc draped over them and the Doctor has a goal to try and find gallifrey.

I also read somewhere that Damian Molony might be starring as a new companion alongside Clara, but I haven't seen any mention of that for ages, did I make that one up?

As a deep Doctor Who fan/geek and lover of Moffat's writing style I thought it was pretty weak on the whole if I'm honest.

The final ten minutes however were brilliant. Matt Smith leaving with one last speech, Amy returning (Karen looking as beautiful as always) and the last moments of the episode with Capaldi were great. Prior to that though the episode suffered rushed plots, more plot holes and terrible pacing.

If the last 10 minutes didn't happen I would probably put this episode in my "don't bother unless you have to" list of failed Doctor Who episodes.