• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Doctor Who

Just watched it myself and was really, really impressed. David Bradley had his portrayal spot on I thought. I don't consider myself to be a massive fan, more someone who dips in and out of the series, but I found the insight into how the series first kicked off fascinating.

Have to agree those last few scenes toward the end were brilliant too, really pulled at the old heart strings!

Happy Whoday everyone.

I also loved "An Adventure In Space And Time". Really well made even though the story did meander a bit and loose its thread in the middle and forget where it was going, or was that William Hartnell? Also loved the 10 minute thing afterwards, where the actual William Hartnel was being interviewed. made you realise how bang on Bradley was. So looking forward to tomorrow now.

Just watched an adventure and I'm blown away. What an amazing tribute to a fascinating man. I was absolutely weeping by the end, when Matt Smith appeared.

I hope that Peter Capaldi's Doctor has elements of Hartnell's in his character.

I really enjoyed "An Adventure In Space And Time" too. Great attention to detail and I'm thoroughly impressed with it. A fitting tribute to those who made the show a reality. Just goes to show too how without people like Verity that fought for the show initially we wouldn't be here 50 years on celebrating it!

Some things which may interest those who like 'Who (or may those who don't too).

Google have currently gone all Doctor Who and they have a Doctor Who game on their homepage too (which is quite addictive I must say): www.google.co.uk

and some recreations of iconic scenes by the "An Adventure In Space And Time" team:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW2ERrWSO38#ws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSrD53j5UuM#ws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZkL-adz1e0#ws

So, who is off to the cinema tomorrow to watch the 50th Anniversary episode?

I know I am cause David Tennant, in 3D.

Phwoar! <3

"An Adventure In Space And Time" was a great watch, It was good to see how close DW came to never getting off the ground.

As for watching the 50th Anniversary episode in 3D, all my local Cinema sold out within 2 hours. :(

I'll be going tonight - only bought the tickets a week ago, 'cause weirdly none of the cinemas in this area seem to have sold out at all o_O

Excellent episode. I was expecting to be let down. So many one liners.

What are you going to do? Build a wardrobe at me? Is my fave.

Who let the writers change the whole course of the Doctor Who history and mythology without due care to the fact that what they changed kind of ruins the whole emotional and character development of the Doctor as well as the whole universe's narrative?

Oh well... This show has had no worth since Series 3.

Even then only Blink, and Love & Monsters episodes and the Human Nature/The Family of Blood two-parter have been as good as anything in Series 1.

Islander said:
bluesonichd said:
So who did john hurt regenerate into? Im Confused :S
Eccleston (hence the quip about hoping not to return with big ears :) )

If you look closely too just before the end of the regeneration scene you can see Eccleston's eyes on Hurt!

They did want Eccleston to come on the show and do a cameo although sadly he wants nothing to do with Doctor Who any more.

Okay, I saw the 50th anniversary episode today and it confirmed what I've been thinking for a while. I just can't take Doctor Who remotely seriously as a piece of science fiction because it doesn't stick to its own rules.

The laws of time travel are conveniently re-written on an episode by episode basis, there's always some reset switch that sorts out everything and worst of all, characters that die don't stay dead!

Today, just about every rule in the book was broken. In series past, the doctor would say with a grave expression that he was the last of his kind and that he could never return to the time war. We were also told that if he ever crossed his time stream it would be disastrous.

Well we saw him dance all over his time stream today and stop off via the Time War for a loaf of bread on the way home, saving all the other Time Lords in the process. Not destroying Gallifrey was a massive cop-out and totally removes any darkness or emotional weight that the post reboot series had. The Doctor's broody back story was probably the most interesting aspect of the character but now that's effectively gone.

Today's plot even invented a new rule in the form of a Tardis-proof room only for the doctor to find an alternative means of entering in a matter of seconds. If the Doctor isn't limited by anything, how are we supposed to be emotionally invested in the plot?

I'm sure someone will have a lengthy, contrived explanation as to why everything that happened today was possible but it doesn't matter to me as it shouldn't have been. Once the rules and mechanics of a fictional universe have been set, they should be stuck to!

Also, the Tom Baker cameo made no sense...at all.

All that said, this episode did manage to raise a smile from me so I suppose it's been successful on an entertainment level. I just wish that the show would treat its own story line with a bit more reverence.

Honestly what a load of tripe.

This was unwatchable for everyone asides from die hard sci-fi fans and young excitable children.

The average viewer is just lost within the first five minutes of these Steven Moffat episodes because you can't get a handle on story line. It's just too silly and the constant flicking from scene to scene with an over reliance on CGI just turns you right off.

Of course you have to suspend your disbelief with Doctor Who but this was just ridiculous. In my opinion the time war and Gallifrey are two things which the doctor should not be allowed to change and should remain an enigma but they have just trampled all over it.

Not even appearances from John Hurt and Tom Baker could save this in my opinion.

What they have done, it to utterly destroy any last sense of credibility that DW had left. I would put this on a par with Red Dwarf: Back to Earth. No, it's actually worse.

The episode was little more than a fap fest for fangirls of Tennant (one of my least favorite Doctors).

I can understand that Doctors 4 through 7 are far too old to play themselves believably, but McGann and Eccleston should have been there as well. Eccleston is an utter [BLEEP] for refusing to take part. He was a great Doctor, and he needs to acknowledge his place in TV history, not try to pretend it never happened because he had an argument with someone.

On the plus side... the only plus side... Hurt made a brilliant Doctor. I did like his line about "why are you waving screwdrivers at them?" Something I've often found pointless.

I think your all harsh. The last series was utter tripe. Moffat seems to have forgotten that a story needs to have a beginning a middle and an end. He has a superb Companion in Clara and a great actor in Jenna and he has yet given them a story to be proud of. The cyber men became too advanced. So until yesterday it was an utter let down.

It always difficult having more then one Doctor in the show (see the three doctors and the five doctors) They is always going to be cheesy lines and pointless arguing, and not much plot. However Moffat did at least succeed in getting Smith, Tennant and Hurt to be in the room together without to many cringe worthy lines. My only negative was Queen Elizabeth 1. Unless he was trying to explain why she was pissed off with him at the end of Shakespeare code. Glad they used Rose Tyler as background character. Glad they didn't make the mistake of changing the end of the time war (if you recall they keep the burden on John Hurts Doctor leaving Ecclestone, Tennant episodes not to be changed, and at least we got a glimpse of the "time war" that they have banging on about.

To call it as bad as Red Dwarf Back to Earth is far too harsh. Nothing is as bad as what they did to Red Dwarf after series 6 (Except for the Star Wars prequel) it was entertaining. Better then this years series and tied in the old doctor who better then anything we have seen since it came back.