• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Doctor Who

I really liked Listen, it was a great episode, Just finished watching The Caretaker, Another great episode, though think the time heist episode was my favorite of the series so far, I also like how we are getting to see a lot of Clara and she has a life away from the doctor.

I disliked the Robin Hood episode from start to finish. It's the filler 'fun' episode of this series. Personally it felt like a forced episode that echos Doctor Who from 2006-2013, a new dark series in 2014 trying to squeeze in a cheesy episode to just say 'yes, this is the same show you had with David Tennant and Matt Smith'.

Thankfully 'Listen' is a true representation of the 'dark' direction they are taking the show this year and beyond. Best episode so far for me.

What would've been good is if they'd merged the 2006 Robin Hood cast in. Jonas Armstrong as Robin Hood etc, would've been such a cool crossover - even if only for one episode :p

I honestly think the writing of this series is shockingly poor. Where are the gripping storylines we used to have up till the end of series 6. There's just no gripping narrative, and there is a real lack of mystery and the monsters are either non-existent or serve no purpose other than just to be there! Moffatt's lost his touch and frankly, I'd give anything to get davies back now...

I think the writers have panicked slightly having Capaldi as the Doctor. For a modern audience he is very different to what people are comfortable with on Doctor Who. So because of that and the way Capaldi is 'darker' they have concentrated on establishing and exploring his character to tell the audience 'yes this is the same man you have seen over the last 9 years'. Which is OK as I've heard there with a few raised eyebrows and worries with the plans for Capaldi's Doctor. On the other hand the episodes so far have felt a little too concentrated on that.

That said I think it has been good so far. Into the Dalek, Robot of Sherwood and Time Heist have all been 'adventures of the week'. Only Deep Breath, Listen and The Caretaker have been more of character pieces. I don't think that's all that bad. We still have six episodes to go, including a two parter finale.

I agree Moffat needs to go. He has come to his end with Doctor Who. Disagree with Davies coming back... he ruined the shows revival. Him writing David Tennant as some depressive human in the final days of the 10th Doctor was just a mess. I prefer that Moffat has made the show more serious and we now have a Doctor that is actually an alien in every way possible. It has only been six episodes of Capaldi and already I think he is by far the greatest 'New Who' Doctor.

Reactions: Dar
What we have seen this series has been very simple ideas, executed well. The last 3 episodes have been a step in the right direction, basic ideas, simple small cast. and also not too many plot twists as with late Matt Smith era. Capaldi is making a superb Doctor. He doesn't flip the screw driver out every ten seconds like Smith did. Doesn't flap his hands like Smith did. He is darker, but we would have all complained if they had replaced smith with someone similar. Lets have a old fashioned dark hero for once. Rather then the goofy bumbling hero of Tennant and Smith Doctor's.

Wasn't so keen on Kill the Moon, it was OK but not quite up to this season's standard so far. I think the Doctor leaving was as much a test for him as it was for Clara. Is he that kind of Doctor? Is he a good man?

Mummy on the Orient Express, however, was much better. The villain, the bigger villain, and the Doctor's lies all added up to a great episode. Not the best, but solid and entertaining!

A female Doctor has been done. Admittedly, it was a Comic Relief special...

It is generally excepted that doctor who CR specials from before 2007 dont add to the cannon. I do like the water the hides non organic components.

A female Doctor will be a gimmick they'll try out when the show starts failing. :p

I quite liked the latest episode. The reveal of Missy wasn't a surprise, since rumours have been heavy about that character since January. But it was executed well.

Although I think they could have made Missy actually be...
The Rani.

They managed to introduce The Master during the RTD era, why not introduce The Rani now? Missed opportunity in my eyes.

A female Doctor will be a gimmick they'll try out when the show starts failing. :p

I quite liked the latest episode. The reveal of Missy wasn't a surprise, since rumours have been heavy about that character since January. But it was executed well.

Although I think they could have made Missy actually be...
The Rani.

They managed to introduce The Master during the RTD era, why not introduce The Rani now? Missed opportunity in my eyes.

bet they thought the rani first but changed it to a female master after the female doctor debate. Shame really because the rani needs to be brought back.

Moffat has said nobody knows who the Rani is, she was in like 2 stories back in the day and they were a bit naff apparently. But I guess rule #1 is that Moffat lies.

I've really enjoyed this season, Clara gets a bit annoying at times but is at least a billion times better than Rose. Peter Capaldi is an outstanding Doctor, you can tell he has proper acting chops behind him and that he loves the show. You could see his shock and horror when he realised who Missy was, but he also has great comic timing too.

Moffat has said nobody knows who the Rani is, she was in like 2 stories back in the day and they were a bit naff apparently. But I guess rule #1 is that Moffat lies.

I call BS on that given the number of monsters they have brought back that only die hard Whovians would recognise. Of course, what's to say The Doctor and The Rani aren't one and the same now...?

I've only ever watched modern Who and if it wasnt for some of my who-friends Id have no idea who Rani is - aside from a joke made about every single female character.

I dont think they will ever make the Doctor a woman, but by making the Master a woman they have finally answered the question of 'Could the Doctor be a woman?' and the answer is 'Yes... but probably not'.

I like Missy or Mistress or Master or whatever she wants to be called. Id assumed that she was the master from the start, I do hope we get an explanation as to what happened to the Master when we last saw him disappearing with the other Time Lords and Galifrey. It has annoyed me that the pinnacle of 11s finale was based on the Time Lords giving him a new set of regenerations and the time war being changed so they still exist. Then this series there has been no word of them.
Im hoping we will get some answers from Missy.

The whole 'no one knows The Rani' argument is kind of flawed given the majority of viewers since 2005 wouldn't have known who The Master was until he appeared in the revived version of the show.

I'm not disappointed Missy is not The Rani, or some other female Time lady. Although it seemed like a good opportunity to introduce a character like that. The show could do with more evil Time lords/ladies.

I hope Missy really is The Master though, and we don't get some silly Moffat 'shock' twist that she's just a fake image of the real Master or something. Michelle Gomez looks pretty amazing in the role.

So that's series 8 finished! I don't think I've enjoyed a series as much as I have with this since 2005.

Peter Capaldi has been just an amazing Doctor, he's definitely proved himself as my favourite revival Doctor (Eccleston being second, Smith being third and Tennant last). He's been such a different character to the two we've had before. Serious and mysterious, which makes times when he's humorous and sarcastic a lot more special.

I've even warmed to Jenna Coleman a lot this series. I found her to be a very boring character in the second part of series 7. But in my opinion, her character this year has developed a lot, and her chemistry between Capaldi has been much better than it was with Smith's Doctor. I think it'll be a great shame if she does leave the show.

Also, I don't think I've ever seen the Doctor as angry and upset as he was in one of the final scenes of this episode (I won't spoil it for those who yet to watch it), it's one of those rare moments where I actually felt something for a fictional character. Which just showed to me, how great of an actor Capaldi is.

For series 8 in general, the episodes for me, have been such high quality and very entertaining (apart from Kill the Moon and Forest of the Night) which is a stark contrast to series 6 & 7.

So in conclusion. Peter Capaldi is an extraordinary Doctor, Clara has been a much better character this series and the episodes have been a lot more entertaining!

Roll on the Christmas special and series 9!

:)

Last edited:
All I can say is...bloody hell, that was dark, but it in a good way. Personally, I really think they should do more two parter story lines rather than try to cram in everything in under an hour like we've seen before. Would help quite a bit for some of complex plot lines that Moffat seems to love.