• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Doctor Who

If I'm honest I found the whole episode a mixed bag. Missy seemed brushed off quickly, and you can almost certainly tell that she will be back, given that her 'death' could have been that or a teleport. I don't think they (Moffat and co) wanted that to be clear, so it's good they didn't actually make a statement that she's dead or alive. The viewer can come to their own conclusion, and the writers can do what they want with The Master in future, or maybe they have something planned...

The killing of Osgood seemed too 'blink and you miss it' to me. She has been in very little Doctor Who, although fans really love her, and the writers know that. I think she will be back soon enough. Her death didn't seem like a death. Much like Missy I think it has been left for the writers to do what they like in future.

I found the whole idea of Cybermen being created out of remains in the ground to be a silly sub-plot. What are they being created from? Bones? Are we to believe too that now all the Cybermen exploded in the sky there are no remains in all the gravestones in the world? I found it all a bit too silly and not well thought out. But then I remind myself of the RTD days, Earth being dragged through the universe... at least it's not THAT silly.

Michelle Gomez was brilliant as The Master/Mistress, although I was disappointed she didn't get to make more use of her character in this episode. Fingers crossed she returns as The Master soon, she has loads to bring to the table!

Jenna was great as always. She has really created a great character out of Clara this series and I hope they manage to persuade her to at least come back for series 9, I feel Jenna can add a lot more before Clara finally leaves for good.

Bloody brilliant acting by Peter Capaldi, his final scenes of his anger not finding Gallifrey was just spot on perfect. He is easily the best modern Doctor for me and easily beats Smith, Tennant and Eccleston.

The Brigadier was a nice touch at the end, if a bit cheesy. I thought it was a clever way to not have Kate be a dead and gone character, and a nice nod to the classic series for older viewers.

The end scene was written and acted brilliantly. The Doctor knew (assumed) Danny would return, he knew Clara would be happy. He knows she cannot have the two worlds of a life with the Doctor and a life with Danny. Only one or the other she can live with. But with this The Doctor knows Clara can never let him go. So he tells her of Gallifrey, that he has found it. Clara see the happiness in his eyes and doesn't tell the truth that Danny never returned. So both leave each other believing the other is happy, when in fact they are both more alone than they have ever been. It's beautifully sad, and shows just how strongly they care for each other.

Oh and finally:
"Oh Missy, you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind, hey Missy, hey Miss"

Last edited:
Jenna has been confirmed for the Christmas special, just in case any of you have been wondering.

I turn up a fews hours after DW airs and i dont need to say anything as it has already been said.
Oh, and nick frost in the xmas special result

I think that moment, in which the Doctor feels anger and frustration and sorrow when he cannot find Gallifrey is my favourite of every scene from Doctor Who, ever. The haunting soundtrack, Capaldi's fury as he pummels the TARDIS and the final scene of the blue box just spinning silently in the darkness of space; sends shivers down my spine. The "Can he find his home planet?" story line really fascinates me. I just hope Moffat and co. don't do some weird kind of "Oh, surprise, it was actually Earth all along" kind of twist on it when they get bored of the story arc.

Looking forward to the inevitable "You're not real! You can't be real!" come Christmas Day!

More importantly:
Michelle Gomez was interviewed by Doctor Who Magazine about her role as the Mistress.

She also reveals that she will be back for series 9.

I'm so glad she'll be back, I loved her as the Mistress and thought it would be a shame for her to be in it for an episode and then killed off. Her portrayal was perfect, good old bonkers and evil just for the sake of being evil!

I am waiting for one of santas (nick frost) elves to be called Paul. Although I think butterman would be another good one. :D

Re-booting this old topic after this weeks episode

WHY CLARA WHY??? :cry:

Since I guess anything I say is a spoiler and I didn't want to just have a single spoiler button on its own, I wrote this bit too.

It was the perfect way for it too happen, her own cockiness and recklessness was her comeuppance. She thought she was the Doctor and knew all his tricks, but she forgot the part where sometimes there isn't a trick.

Can't wait for next week, rumours are that it's the Death Zone on Gallifrey

I felt 'it' was a let down. There have been many ways recently for it to happen and this seemed a lame cop out way....

"I think it's stuck as an American diner."
They really need to redesign the Chameleon circuit if they keep getting stuck in one form :D

Who thinks it not the last we seen of the American diner?

Each episode except the crap death in the first one was good on its own, but did we need it in one 3 parter?

I thought it was good, but I'm an idiot that just likes to ignore the outside with stories.

When we found it would have Gallifrey, Daleks and Cybermen it set the scene for something epic. Don't get me wrong, it did have nice touches (the shed for example) but it was a 3 parter finale and season finale so needs to be epic, yet didn't feel it at all.

It was good, capaldi performance in the middle episode was brilliant. Moffatt has at least dragged a story out rather then rushing it. What the series has struggled with in the last few years. Although still errors for example the hybrid being mentioned every week for no reason. The sonic specs (which has been solved.) part from that I was happy.

Even seeing the original tardis control room brought a little smile on my face.

I thought it was plenty epic, Gallifrey's back! This series on the whole has probably been my favourite since the re-boot, Capaldi is a great Doctor.

I Although still errors for example the hybrid being mentioned every week for no reason. The sonic specs (which has been solved.) part from that I was happy.

I agree they could have been more subtle about the hybrid arc, but overall I thought it was an inventive way to bring the time lords back.

I loved the sonic specs, why does everything have to be so serious all the time :p

I think a lot of the disappointment comes from the BBC and the way they present the trailers and hype every episode as the greatest ever. Not to mention spoiling the return of the Time Lords half way through the series :p

I love Sonic Specs (sadly may be departed) and think Capaldi is excellent (I prefer the Doctor to be less human) It just seems like yes, they re-introduced Gallifrey, and then didn't do a huge amount to me. Maybe being a recent fan makes me wrong, although I recognised the control room instantly.

I think I like that they didn't do much with it today, it leaves it open for proper exploration next series and beyond.

For example, what did he do to Rassilon? Where did he send him and what are the consequences of it? Not to mention, I think the Doctor is President again?