• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Doctor Who

I think RTD has said there will be some follow-ups in the next series.

I enjoyed last nights episode but it's not my favourite out of the three specials. Neil Patrick Harris was brilliant as the Toymaker and it was nice seeing Bonnie Langford return. However, I felt it was too jam packed to the point where The Giggle was only for 10 minutes of the episode, and after the regeneration it felt like a quick rush to move on. It would have benefitted from being an extra 30 minutes to pad things out.

The whole 'bi-generation' thing, hmm, I don't mind the idea but I didn't like the execution. It wasn't explained very well, and it will be interesting to see if it goes anywhere in future with David Tennant's doctor on Earth with his own TARDIS.

That UNIT set though... spin-off show incoming!

I liked the episode, thought NPH was fantastic but agree it felt really rushed. Could have done with more time.

I had heard rumour about the bi-generation thing and really didn’t like the idea but it was done quite well. I just do wonder if we could maybe just let Tennants doctor go now though, I get he’s popular but sometimes you just have to let go.

Great episode all in all. Outlandish, funny, unnerving, mad, everything you could ask for! Fantastically shot, you can really see where the budget increase has gone. One thing I would say though is through these three specials, it was clear they were trying to show the Soctor looking emotionally worn out and tired, however this was overdone in my opinion. Toward the end of the 10th doctor's tenure, there was a similar amount of baggage, yet the character had gravitas and always seemed to "fill the room". By comparison, 14 seems to be smaller in every way, with little authority about him, which I think any doctor needs.

The bi-generation was sure a fantastic twist, but seriously, how many versions of Tennant is RTD planning on creating? :tearsofjoy: Ncuti instantly stole the show as 15, with eccentricity galore. I love the energy! I do hope though that it's dialled down as the series progresses. Camp is fun and all (heck that musical number with the Toy Maker in U.N.I.T was really fun!) however if overdone it can get in the way of the show's plot, and risks playing into a stereotype that I'm not sure a progressive show should really be doing. Ten (and even Nine!) were very ambiguous, but it was never as "on the nose" as we've had in these specials, which sometimes sounds like the writer talking to the audience, rather than The Doctor to other characters. If a show can be inclusive without getting in the way of the story and remain in-character, it's ticking all the right boxes.

For example, the scene in "The Star Beast" with Sylvia and Donna talking about Rose. Sylvia gets the pronouns wrong, and Donna steps in and says "Don't worry, I do it sometimes" whilst clearly showing an intent on both sides to learn and accept the change. This feels natural and relatable to most people, and shows that you're not a bad person for slipping up sometimes, as long as you're willing to learn. In comparison, the scene where Rose says to The Meep "You're assuming He as a pronoun?" just feels out of place, and added nothing to the episode. The ending to that episode was also strange, with Donna saying about letting go of power "Something a male representing timelord would never understand". Not only completely out of character for Donna, but demeaning to trans men, and men in general. Shouldn't we be moving on from these stereotypes and social constructs rather than re-enforcing the idea that they will "never understand"?

Dubious social commentary aside, all three episodes were great quality, and hopefully a sign of good things to come! There's a new, energetic Doctor with a new companion, 14 is happily retired (no doubt audiobooks or something will come of that) and the writing has much improved from the Chibnall era. There's a Christmas special on the way which looks to be scary enough for 8 year olds, and entertaining/engaging enough for adults, which is exactly where the show should be at. Looking forward to seeing how it plays out!

Last edited:
I've been to Cardiff Bay twice in the last two weeks to watch some theatre shows at the Wales Millennium Centre. For any Torchwood fans out there, the Ianto shrine is still going strong, with some Easter-themed bunting added last week.

IMG_2489.JPEG

I've been to Cardiff Bay twice in the last two weeks to watch some theatre shows at the Wales Millennium Centre. For any Torchwood fans out there, the Ianto shrine is still going strong, with some Easter-themed bunting added last week.

IMG_2489.JPEG

I went to Cardiff some years back to visit the Doctor Who Experience just before it closed down. That was an absolutely fantastic attraction, such a pity that it doesn’t have a permanent home here in the UK. It really did make you think how great a Doctor Who area could be at a theme park.

I went to Cardiff some years back to visit the Doctor Who Experience just before it closed down. That was an absolutely fantastic attraction, such a pity that it doesn’t have a permanent home here in the UK. It really did make you think how great a Doctor Who area could be at a theme park.
It was built as a permanent attraction and the BBC lost a LOT of money running it, they just couldn't get people through the doors. This, according to Russell The Davies at least:

There are only so many geeks out there.
Needs to be part of a larger attraction that attracts geeks aplenty...hmm.
Send it back to the corner of the prom by the Central Pier...where it belongs.
plenty of passing trade for another merlin midway attraction.

The Doctor Who Experiance attraction was at Lands End at one point, think it was 2008 I visited, it was very much based on the Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper era with Bad Wolf references.

It’s not surprising it ran at a loss, to be honest. It was a huge custom-made building and probably cost a lot to run with the show/actors. I only did it once, but it was very well made/themed.

I think it could potentially work again as a midway in London where there’s a high amount of tourists compared to Cardiff or other city centres.

Ideally, it would be good to see a theme park ride/area based around the Doctor Who theme. I’m surprised Merlin hasn't jumped at it by now.

It’s not surprising it ran at a loss, to be honest. It was a huge custom-made building and probably cost a lot to run with the show/actors. I only did it once, but it was very well made/themed.

I think it could potentially work again as a midway in London where there’s a high amount of tourists compared to Cardiff or other city centres.

Ideally, it would be good to see a theme park ride/area based around the Doctor Who theme. I’m surprised Merlin hasn't jumped at it by now.
I'm surprised too, I can imagine it'll be a very top tier attraction/dark ride at one of the UK parks although it may need to be a screen based attraction so Doctors can change as of when needed if involving the current doctor of the time of riding.

I was wishfully thinking that could be Project Horizon 🤔

Would Disney's involvement in who now be issue?
I believe the question that was asked, about a themed land, was in direct reference to Disney's involvement. He has said though that Disney's involvement in Doctor Who ensures its longevity, even if the BBC were to collapse, which rather suggests that he's encouraging even more sale of the Beeb's crown jewels.
Russell T Davies explains that there is a good reason for the fantasy drama being co-produced with Disney: it means that its survival doesn’t require the continued existence of the BBC.

“You’ve got to look in the long term at the end of the BBC, which is undoubtedly on its way in some shape or form,” says Davies.
Source: - https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...ies-says-end-of-bbc-is-undoubtedly-on-its-way
An attempt was made for a London Midway attraction, with Time Fracture, which was incredibly well received by tickets, but again they couldn't get people through the door. Granted, wasn't the best idea to open during a pandemic and during a potential change of Doctors, but I think the BBC have been scarred a bit too often. - https://www.immersivedoctorwho.com/

They seem happy enough to licence out the Doctor Who brand for escape rooms though. - https://escapehunt.com/uk/london-oxford-street/games/doctor-who-a-dalek-awakens-escape-room/