• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Dollywood: General Discussion

BigAl

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Forbidden Journey
362px-Dollywood_logo.svg.png

Screamscape have found that two attractions at Dollywood won't be reopening next year as the park as they prepare for new attractions:
2013/2014 - New Attractions - Semi-Confirmed - (12/10/12) Interesting developments are afoot for Dollywood that will affect the park for the 2013 and 2014 seasons. Screamscape has confirmed with Pete Owens at the park that two large attractions will not be return for the 2013 season. According to our exclusive letter from Pete…
“On the heels of five Golden Ticket Awards, including Best Shows and Best New Attraction, Dollywood announces an exciting new addition for 2013 and plans for a new major family attraction in 2014. Imagination Cinema will become a 500-seat venue for a new Dolly family show. Plans for 2014 are under way for a one-of-a-kind attraction on the Adventure Mountain site.

Screamscape have heard that Dollywood might be interested in getting an RMC coaster after being impressed by Silver Dollar's:
???? - The Next Coaster - Rumor - (3/7/13) I’ve got to wonder if this is just wishful thinking at this point, but early rumors suggest that Dollywood may have already tapped the crew at Rocky Mountain Coasters to build their next ride much sooner than you would think. So far they have been impressed with their work over at Silver Dollar City on Outlaw Run. Could this be what is replacing Adventure Mountain?

:)

Potentially exciting news from Screamscape:

2014 - New Attraction - Semi-Confirmed - (3/25/13) According to several rep

orts from Dollywood over the weekend, much of Adventure Mountain is still standing, but there is a curious statement on the construction wall that says, “Coming in 2014 the next BIG adventure… It’ll be a BLAST!”
That last part has me wondering, along with the colorful looking explosion style graphic behind it. The last time I can recall Herschend teasing about a new attraction in a similar manor was when sister park, Silver Dollar City, went on to open Powder Keg, a new explosive themed launched coaster.
Also, back in mid 2008 Screamscape had been sent a detailed rumor about a possible new roller coaster project in development that was expected to go up in this same general area, possibly running up and into the train turn around loop on the hillside above as well. According to the old rumor posted at the time, the theme of the coaster would have involved a storyline about “some kind of backwoods moonshine rocket fuel creation that will power a custom launched coaster creation.” So sort of a cross between SDC’s Powder Keg concept mixed with the rocket fuel theme of SDC’s WildFire coaster. I’ve got to wonder if that project was put on hold when they got the chance to build the first B&M Wing Coaster in America instead, and now they are going back to those old plans. Stay tuned, let’s see what develops.

db_2013_0325_Dollywood2014Sign1.jpg

But keep in mind the RMC rumour posted above! ;) :p

Surely they're not going to be getting another coaster just two years after Wild Eagle!?

:)

Sod RMC, Dollywood look to be considering a Mack Mega! :D

Screamscape said:
2014 - New Attraction - Semi-Confirmed - (4/12/13) According to another park guest, the thin metal pieces spotted are assumed to be the removed pieces of Adventure Mountain and not part of a new roller coaster. This guest spotted the former ropes course attraction pieces being stored along the terrain behind Adventure Mountain and Thunder Head.
That said… I did get a VERY interesting report from a trusted source that representatives from Dollywood were spotted touring Europa Park this past week. For those not in the know, Europa Park is one of Europe’s most successful theme parks and also owned by the same family that owns Mack Rides. So why would Dollywood peeps be touring Europa Park? I’m going to bet it has a little something to do with the Blue Fire Megacoaster, Mack’s impressive launched coaster system that first opened in 2009. The only US installation of Mack’s creation is Manta which opened at SeaWorld San Diego last year, but is a much different style coaster from the original Blue Fire.
For a good look at what you can expect from a ride on a Blue Fire style coaster, check out the video below. As you can see, this fits right in with that rumored storyline around some kind of Smoky Mountain explosive moonshine.

Yes, yes, a million times yes! A match-up of Dollywood's soul and flair for immersive theming with the Mack Mega's build quality would be a marriage made in heaven! :D

If Dollywood get a Mack Mega Coaster I'll be there in a second...

That terrain... That potential... Offt...

Bad news from Screamscape for anyone who was excited at the possibility of seeing a new Mack mega coaster built:
2014 - New Attraction - Semi-Confirmed - (4/17/13) Time to play Good News / Bad News. First the good news... Screamscape sources have confirmed to me that Dollywood’s next attraction is indeed a “coaster”. As for the bad news... it’s not going to be a Mack Rides Blue Fire style coaster... and unfortunately, I’m still a bit in the dark about just what kind of coaster they are getting, so stay tuned!

Re: Dollywood - 2014

Apparently, a week ago, Dollywood filed for the Trademark of 'Firechaser Express'. Screamscape are still thinking it will be a new coaster, though I don't think their suggestion of a B&M inverted would suit such a name. I also don't think the park would follow up a wing coaster with an inverted so soon.

It does suit a coaster of some kind though, and the space created by removing Adventure Mountain is certainly quite significant.

Vekoma Mine Train or similar? Would fit the name, being express, and they haven't had a mine train since 1998 when they sold their Arrow one, in spite of one being perfect for the park if you ask me.

Update from Screamscape on Dollywood's plans for 2014:

2014 - New Attraction / Firechaser Express / Resort Project - Semi-Confirmed - (8/13/13) Is Dollywood ready to start construction on an official Dollywood Resort hotel? According to a report sent in by “Chris Con”, Dollywood officials began the official permit process for a new “resort/hotel” at a Pigeon Forge meeting a few hours ago. While there are lots of special variances being asked for for the project, I’m told that the listed completion date is “Summer 2014”, so looks like Dollywood is ready to move very quickly on this one.

Count me interested in these two developments!

Edit: (14/08/2013) More news on Firechaser Express from Screamscape:

2014 - New Attraction / Firechaser Express / Resort Project - Semi-Confirmed - (8/14/13) To try and bring things into perspective... I’ve been told that the Firechaser Express coaster will be a much needed new ‘family coaster’ for the park. It is rumored to feature a good launch, but the layout will be more about speed, twists and turns and not about inversions or airtime. This will help fill the void left behind when Dollywood removed the Thunder Express mine train back in the late 90s.
For now it seems that work has begun again on the Adventure Mountain site, where it looks like a large area is now being leveled out on the hillside just behind it, along with the placement of survey stakes and tape.

A hotel you say?

With their in-house food, I wouldn't leave the restaurant <3<3

Excellent news for the park...

The park just announced their new family coaster - Firechaser. Looks pretty good if you ask me!

Ride stats:

- Dual launch coaster
- Zero to 16mph in 1.1 seconds
- Zero to 20mph in 2 seconds
- 2,427 feet
- Two helixes
- Six zero gravity moments
- Trick Track section
- Top speed: 34.5 mph
- 79 feet
- Manufacturer: Gerstlauer

Joseph said:
I think the trick track might be a freefall drop. :)

Enter burning building, floor collapses into firework filled basement, giant one falls down and aims towards the ride, igniting and launching the train backwards...

Could be a possibility...

Benzin said:
Joseph said:
I think the trick track might be a freefall drop. :)

Enter burning building, floor collapses into firework filled basement, giant one falls down and aims towards the ride, igniting and launching the train backwards...

Could be a possibility...

Exactly what I was thinking! ;D

A CoasterCrew audio interview with Pete Owens from Dollywood. :)

Screamscape said:
2014 - FireChaser Express - Confirmed - (8/27/13) Dollywood answered a few guest questions on Twitter a few hours ago and released a couple of new bits of information about FireChaser Express in the process. According to the park the coaster will feature “special flame effects & a special fog effect” and hit a top speed of 39 MPH.

39mph is actually quite a bit faster than I was expecting!