• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Dollywood: General Discussion

Blooming heck, Lightning Rod really is a disaster isn't it. RMCing the RMC is not the craziest of ideas, especially if the issue is structural rather than anything to do with the launch. I think the bottom of the first drop is where there have been issues in the past.

Upon further zooming into the picture, it would appear that the wave turn has no track, which would certainly add some weight to these rumours...

Yh they really might be RMCing this RMC which is probably the best thing for it as much as i would have loved to get on it when it was wood, beggars can't be choosers!

Absurd. Incredibly grateful of getting through chance to ride it in whatever incarnation it happened to be in at the time. I'm sure it'll be just as sensational when finished this time round.

Absurd. Incredibly grateful of getting through chance to ride it in whatever incarnation it happened to be in at the time. I'm sure it'll be just as sensational when finished this time round.

If they RMC the RMC, does that mean it counts as a new coaster and you will therefore forever have the original Lightning Rod credit over me!?

It would appear that the RMC conversion of Lightning Rod has well and truly begun, as wooden topper track is now being stripped from the launch:

Also, I forgot to mention that Dollywood themselves officially confirmed that the ride is getting IBox Track installed, so this is no longer just a rumour.

Exciting (and strange) times! I believe this is the first time that IBox Track has ever been used for a like-for-like replacement of a coaster’s track as opposed to for a full-blown layout change, so I’ll be interested to see what effect it has upon Lightning Rod!

I suspect the only difference is it'll feel slightly smoother? I'm not sure how different this will feel, however, as it already rides glass smooth.

I suspect the only difference is it'll feel slightly smoother? I'm not sure how different this will feel, however, as it already rides glass smooth.
It'll be smoother in the back row and it'll stop the wear and tear on the track which is why it ended up closed for a long time!

Sure, it throws you around during the quad-down, but that's the otherwordly pops of air time as opposed to roughness.

Lightning Rod categorically was not a rough coaster.
I always heard the bottom of the first drop cited as a key roughness spot in the back seat; maybe you have a higher tolerance than some other people?

Far from it! IE, I'll avoid re-riding SLCs unless I haven't been on them before, and the same for coasters such as Grand National.

RMC's are remarkably smooth across the board, and Lightning Rod is no exception irrelevant of seating.
Fair enough; you’ve ridden it and I haven’t, I suppose!

In other news, Pete Owens confirmed in a Q&A that approximately 2,160ft of Lightning Rod’s track is being replaced with IBox Track, so not quite the entire thing. I wonder which sections are being retracked and which sections are being left?

Fair enough; you’ve ridden it and I haven’t, I suppose!

In other news, Pete Owens confirmed in a Q&A that approximately 2,160ft of Lightning Rod’s track is being replaced with IBox Track, so not quite the entire thing. I wonder which sections are being retracked and which sections are being left?

I would imagine the brake run and station area will be left as topper track then, but that doesn’t account for all the 1700ft of track that they say will remain, so there some elements will be low stress and not in need of retrack. This will put a tainted look on RMC from a parks perspective, and whilst I’ve only ridden one myself, I thought there were many things RMC had to work on, such as capacity and loading procedures! It’s a ball ache for staff having to secure every lap bar themselves (they are clunky and heavy to push too). RMC have terrific layouts, but lack in quality when it comes to hardware in my opinion and this only proves it.

I've not ridden the damn thing, but my understanding is that it was not rough however at the bottom of the first drop the train would almost slam in to the track. I do not think it was like this when it first opened, but it is certainly one area that has caused a lot of issues more recently.

I'm guessing that the IBox track will provide some more natural support!? Who knows, RMC must have recommended it as a fix for the ride's problems though.

I guess this makes the ride truly unique. It is a hybrid of a hybrid. Can't think of anouther ride with multiple track types. Switching between wood and steel (assuming you count topper track as wood).
I know there are some rides that have been partially rebuilt or extended (Even by different manufacturers) but they've always tried to keep the track consistent.