Dollywood: General Discussion

Discussion in 'Rest of the World Parks and Attractions' started by BigAl, 10th Dec 2012.

1. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    I wonder what RCDB will class it as? It’s currently listed as wood, but will that change if over half the ride is tracked with steel?

It’s such a grey area... coasters have become far more difficult to classify in the last few years.

2. Tim

Tim TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Air / Blue Fire
    I think that's a good thing. RMC has really shaken up the industry by building rides that:
    A) are neither wood or steel. They've used the best of the different materials to create smooth and wild coasters.
    B) do not stick to standard ride elements. Back in the 90s most coasters looked like they were built in RCT; straight section, curve, vertical loop, helix ect. But most rides today have flowing layouts in which elements merge together. RMC are the best example of this, frequently having to name new elements as they don't fit within the ones on existing rides.

Maybe we should have a unique category for hybrid coasters.
    Potentially water coasters and trough (aka concrete coasters) should get their own category too. The latter is as much a steel coaster as a wooden coaster is.

3. Pleasure Beach Valhalla

Pleasure Beach Valhalla TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    I wonder which category it'll be in for the Golden Ticket Awards? Maybe they'll be an entire new category

4. Burbs

Burbs TowersStreet Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Untamed, Walibi Holland
    I wouldn't trust RCDB's building material categorisations. Untamed is listed as a hybrid, whereas Steel Vengeance for instance is listed as steel. If I'm not very much mistaken were they not both wooden coasters converted to IBox track? I'd personally count retrofitted Lightning Rod as a hybrid.

5. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    They're both listed as steel hybrids on RCDB.

6. Burbs

Favourite Ride:
    Untamed, Walibi Holland
    So they are! I missed that, was looking in the wrong place! But my point still stands; I'd count Lightning Rod as a hybrid.

7. Pleasure Beach Valhalla

Pleasure Beach Valhalla TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Yh Robin Hood to Untamed, Mean Streak to Steel Vengeance and unlike Gwazi they reused a lot of it's structure so yh i think i'd class it as hybrid!

Burbs likes this.
  8. Burbs

Favourite Ride:
    Untamed, Walibi Holland
    Lightning Rod is set to reopen this weekend, with IBox track replacing 2/3 of the existing steel topper track.

I find it odd that they've branded this all as Lightning Rod 2 or whatever it was last year when the ride experience is going to be largely the same.

AstroDan likes this.
  9. Danny

Danny Gugu Rides’ Number 1 Fan

Favourite Ride:
    Unknown - Parque dos Elefantes
    Hopefully, it's running a lot faster at the weekend; that looked tragically slow compared to when I rode it.

AstroDan and Burbs like this.
  10. CGM

CGM TowersStreet Member

I'm sure it will speed up with time but I'm still concerned that even once it's run in, the full I-box track will rob the coaster of its relentless sense of speed.

I slightly disagree with @Danny's earlier comments. I thought there was a noticeable difference between the topper track RMCs and the Iron Horse variants. Whilst I wouldn't have called Lightning Rod rough by any stretch, it definitely had a bit more shake and rattle about it which gave the out-of-control sensation that woodies are renowned for.

Steel tracked I-box RMCs are freakishly smooth. They almost don't feel like they're attached to rails, more like an invisible force whisking you round the layout.

Last edited: 11th Mar 2021
    John_P and Tim like this.
  11. Rob

Rob TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Okay, we get it, you rode the damn thing when you went!! :p

Does look rather slow in that POV. I am hoping that is because technically it is a new coaster again and will need time to fully bed in and reach its maximum speed. It would be a pity if it did become a tamer ride long term, although maybe they need that for it to be sustainable.

Skyscraper and Danny like this.
  12. Brad97

Brad97 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Montu
    Apparently the trains were empty and it was about 4 degrees, so it was running slowly when the POV was filmed.

Rob and Burbs like this.
  13. Sir Queer Llama

Sir Queer Llama TowersStreet Member Team Member

In other news, Lightning Rod isn’t the only ride at Dollywood to have had work done this closed season! Mystery Mine has received some track replacement to improve the rides reliability and prolong its life.

However, this does mean a section of the ride has been removed entirely. The vertical drop and horseshoe turn following the first lift hill have now gone and been replaced by a 90 degree turn to the left and a much shallower drop into the uphill turn to the MCBR. The horseshoe turn is however still standing.

The changes can be seen in this video from Midwaymayhemfan on Twitter...

Sazzle, Brad97, Matt N and 1 other person like this.
  14. CGM

CGM TowersStreet Member

Good move I think. Whilst the new layout may look less spectactular from an offride perspective, the old section was horrifically uncomfortable on the ride. It was pretty clear that the elements were too tight and compact for the car to negotiate smoothly.

Brad97 and Danny like this.
  15. John

John TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    The entire first half of Mystery Mine wasn't great TBH. It felt like they'd just tried to stick Eurofighters cars on track designed for bob cars and had been forced to keep the speed to an absolute minimum. What they've ended up with now looks very dull though.

Sir Queer Llama likes this.
  16. Danny

Danny Gugu Rides’ Number 1 Fan

Favourite Ride:
    Unknown - Parque dos Elefantes
    It's very much the US version of Baron. Very pretty to look at and well themed, but well under-par as a ride.

CGM likes this.
  17. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    In other news, it would appear that Lightning Rod has already had a launch failure since reopening:

Hopefully this is just a minor glitch, and the ride runs problem-free from here on out!