• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Dollywood: General Discussion

Given the cost of the investment, perhaps they'll return to theming it more substantially as a phase 2? It seems very unlike them to just plonk a coaster down like that without any thought for presentation. I know Wildwood Grove was quite bare when we visited, but it seems to have come on leaps and bounds since then.

It seems very unlike them to just plonk a coaster down like that without any thought for presentation. I know Wildwood Grove was quite bare when we visited, but it seems to have come on leaps and bounds since then.
It doesn't seem completely out of place ? I don't recall much theming outside of the station area on most of their coasters. There is certainly some greenery below the rides and I am sure that will be the case on this now construction vehicles have gone.

Am I misremembering Wild Eagle, Lightning Rod, Firechaser and Thunderhead as bastions of theming ? Firechaser has the show areas with bits but like Wild Eagle, it operates above roads and some grass as far as I can recall.

It doesn't seem completely out of place ? I don't recall much theming outside of the station area on most of their coasters. There is certainly some greenery below the rides and I am sure that will be the case on this now construction vehicles have gone.

Am I misremembering Wild Eagle, Lightning Rod, Firechaser and Thunderhead as bastions of theming ? Firechaser has the show areas with bits but like Wild Eagle, it operates above roads and some grass as far as I can recall.

Danny didn’t really mention theming he said presentation and with the possible exception of wild eagle their rides tend to be well landscaped and with good planting around the ride.

The far end of this ride is just on the flat with no good aesthetics. But that may come.

Even though Big Bear Mountain has only just opened, there are suggestions that Dollywood could be building another new roller coaster. According to Screamscape, Dollywood put out a guest survey recently talking about another new coaster in Wildwood Grove that will invite guests to "explore the greater mysteries of this hidden land, no matter the weather":
Screamscape said:
Elsewhere [the survey] hints that Wildwood Grove isn’t finished yet, as another ‘new coaster’ will invite guests to “explore the greater mysteries of this hidden land, no matter the weather.” That last bit seems to indicate that Dollywood could be planning some kind of new indoor roller coaster experience.
Lance seems to think that the synopsis could be hinting towards an indoor coaster, and I'd agree with that assertion; indoor coasters are quite a surefire way of providing an all-weather draw.

A few days later, Screamscape sources also apparently received word that Dollywood has greenlighted a new coaster for the 2025 season, which Lance has suggested could be the indoor coaster project hinted at in the survey:
Screamscape said:
2025 - New Rumored Roller Coaster - (7/27/2023) Screamscape sources tell us that Dollywood is indeed working on a new roller coaster for the 2025 season. Based on the survey that was just sent out from the park last week, I do have to wonder if this is that indoor coaster project that was hinted at that would depart from Wildwood Grove.

I know this isn't much to go off of, but I trust Lance as a source, and if the park has asked about it in a survey, then I wouldn't be surprised if they did eventually plan to build it. From memory, I think Dollywood has asked about an indoor coaster in guest surveys before, so maybe they're finally bringing one to fruition?

It's an interesting development if true; maybe an Intamin Multi-Dimensional Coaster or similar would be a cool fit?
P.S. Here's the link to Screamscape's Dollywood page: https://screamscape.com/html/dollywood.htm#2025-Coaster

Even though Big Bear Mountain has only just opened, there are suggestions that Dollywood could be building another new roller coaster. According to Screamscape, Dollywood put out a guest survey recently talking about another new coaster in Wildwood Grove that will invite guests to "explore the greater mysteries of this hidden land, no matter the weather":

Lance seems to think that the synopsis could be hinting towards an indoor coaster, and I'd agree with that assertion; indoor coasters are quite a surefire way of providing an all-weather draw.

A few days later, Screamscape sources also apparently received word that Dollywood has greenlighted a new coaster for the 2025 season, which Lance has suggested could be the indoor coaster project hinted at in the survey:

I know this isn't much to go off of, but I trust Lance as a source, and if the park has asked about it in a survey, then I wouldn't be surprised if they did eventually plan to build it. From memory, I think Dollywood has asked about an indoor coaster in guest surveys before, so maybe they're finally bringing one to fruition?

It's an interesting development if true; maybe an Intamin Multi-Dimensional Coaster or similar would be a cool fit?
P.S. Here's the link to Screamscape's Dollywood page: https://screamscape.com/html/dollywood.htm#2025-Coaster
Considering that Wildwood Grove is already a very good area for younger people, I think this would elevate it even further. This seems like a great idea, especially considering that, if it is indoors, it won't be affected by the rain. I personally think that an Intamin Multi-Dinensional coaster is likely.

It'll be interesting to see what SDC announce in the next couple of weeks regarding Fire in the Hole. If Dollywood don't have any plans pertaining to Blazing Fury, they could look at something similar but themed to Wildwood Grove?

Dollywood have announced Lightning Rod will be closing for refurbishments.

The launch is going to be replaced by a cable lift and it's getting new trains.

From: https://x.com/Dollywood/status/1701611625071919200?s=20

Glad I got to ride it with the launch, albeit the toned down version. This change won't make much of a difference to the ride experience, as it crawls over the top anyway with the current launch.

Dollywood have announced Lightning Rod will be closing for refurbishments.

The launch is going to be replaced by a cable lift and it's getting new trains.

From: https://x.com/Dollywood/status/1701611625071919200?s=20

Glad I got to ride it with the launch, albeit the toned down version. This change won't make much of a difference to the ride experience, as it crawls over the top anyway with the current launch.

Wasn't the speed reduction due to the launch issues? If the cable lift is more reliable they may be able to run it at full speed again.

If it means that the ride is open for longer, then this is good news.

Still gutted that I did not get to ride it in 2018. It has been somewhat of a disaster for Dollywood over the years. They'll be hoping the sorts out the issues once and for all.

In all fairness, the launch didn't make the ride. Yes it was novel, but it was hardly world shattering. It was probably one of the weaker launch coasters I've done - the real crown jewel is the quad down. Glad to see the reliability is being increased as a result.

To be honest, I'm surprised it took them this long. Looks like they're aiming for it to crest the hill at 13mph, which is probably faster than it currently does.

So many variables seem to have really lead to this, the swaying of lift supports resulting in failed launches, overheating and uses vast amounts of power. This change is obviously for the good but the ride must have had some hindering effect on RMC’s name in the industry and really stunted their growth into the Launched market. But that being said Intamin have always had their fair share of failures and looks at them.

So many variables seem to have really lead to this, the swaying of lift supports resulting in failed launches, overheating and uses vast amounts of power. This change is obviously for the good but the ride must have had some hindering effect on RMC’s name in the industry and really stunted their growth into the Launched market. But that being said Intamin have always had their fair share of failures and looks at them.

I mean I cannot see how it would have hindered RMCs name at all. Not a single bit. Launches are not what RMC are famous for.

Besides, the launch was developed by Velocity Magnetics and was nothing to do with RMC.

I mean I cannot see how it would have hindered RMCs name at all. Not a single bit. Launches are not what RMC are famous for.

Besides, the launch was developed by Velocity Magnetics and was nothing to do with RMC.
I would agree that it hasn’t really affected their name overall, they are still known for the fantastic thrill machines they build. But it definitely would have made parks think twice about asking them to quote on future launched coaster projects.

It's not as if there is a huge demand for launched wooden coasters - so I doubt RMC will be kicking themselves too much. I'm more surprised at the fact the relationship with them and Herschend is still so strong. Other parks would have shunted manufacturers for something like this.

It's not as if there is a huge demand for launched wooden coasters - so I doubt RMC will be kicking themselves too much. I'm more surprised at the fact the relationship with them and Herschend is still so strong. Other parks would have shunted manufacturers for something like this.

Not really in the parks best interest though. Short sighted to cut comms with the people who will provide parts for your coaster.