• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drayton Manor 2013 Topic

Why's everyone suddenly buying Zamperla? Poor old HUSS and S&S must be wondering what they're doing wrong :p

Huss aren't doing well as a business in general and haven't created anything new since the Topple Tower (unreliable) and Jump2 (the most popular ride ever) and S&S barely do any actual rides apart from massive expensive to run things...

Re: Drayton Manor 2013 Topic

Earthwürm said:
This is pure coincidence, but the company my wife's Dad works for has just been sent an assortment of cracked and broken ride parts from Drayton for welding, only to be reconstructed before the start of season. Now apparently the parts are in dire condition and beyond repair (in terms of operating safely again) furthermore, it is clear they have have been primitively repaired by the on park technicians at some point and so they've continued to operate the rides as potential death traps. Also they have been requested to refit them in incredibly unsafe conditions. So, my question is, who on earth monitors the safety of these rides? Is there an authority on it or are the parks left to their own devices and only cracked down upon once something goes wrong? Needless to say he'd like to report the condition as he wouldn't like to be responsible for possible injuries caused by unfit machinery. Apparently the big wheel is in the worst state and a disaster waiting to happen.

If this statement is true its quite worrying. As you mentioned about the Ferris Wheel I would have thought it got a overhaul when it got re-themed to Cartoon Network Street?

Drayton Manor 2013 Topic

Apparently not. Actually it doesn't really surprise me. I've worked for Drayton Manor and seen first hand their disregard for safety and complete lack of maintenance. We used to be threatened with disciplinary action if we ever pressed an e-stop because it causes down time! Splash canyon requires staff to manually and dangerously turn boats because the button to turn them is on the other side of the turntable and it would cost money to implement a system that is safe for both staff and guests. The few things we were actually trained for were only based on what would void their insurance and what would cause downtime, safety was never mentioned. The biggest problem is that there is no authority to monitor the work of the maintenance team and the maintenance team aren't bothered for safety, as long as a ride works they appear to have done their job.

Drayton Manor Update for 2013.

Drayton Manor has revealed that they will be adding a new attraction to their hugely successful Thomas Land for 2013. The ride, which is still unknown is thought to open in summer 2013. The park will also be showing a fantastic new film, "A Fish Story". The musical film, about a fish named Deepo, takes you on a journey to the depths of the ocean, encountering many different sea creatures along the way, such as lively dolphins, stinging jellyfish, kind-hearted sharks and singing sea turtles.

Source

Crikey, that's an imaginative name. I'm sure they could have come up with something better than that surely! ::)

Wow... I can't wait... :/

I know DMP can't compete with the likes of Alton, and I appreciate that they have had a lot of success with some very clever and high quality family friendly additions in recent years, but what I wouldn't give for them to build an attraction that would actually tempt me to visit for the first time in about 4 years!

I know what you mean, gate prices keep rising but there seems to be absolutley nothing coming the customers way, I mean, its great for Thomas Land but thier Thrill lineup is slowly depleating.

As Thorpe park's visitor figures show though, do thrill rides bring in the punters? I'd of said dominating the family market and giving Alton a bloody nose doing it is the best way forward for the park.

Though I'd love to see a new rollercoaster, just something vanilla or launched!

After the introduction of Thomas Land and the Ben 10 coaster, I think they've nailed the family market side of things spot on. If they were to introduce a mid/major thrill ride into their line up, I believe they could really ramp up their gate figures quite easily and significantly :)

Drayton has to, has to, concentrate on it's family market to survive and thrive. It's what they've got against towers.

Plus, whenever they try and do thrill, with the exception of Apocalypse, they're awful at it.

Although at the same time they will have to look at the thrill market in future. Otherwise they risk one day becoming too family orientated.

They aren't too great with thrill, but they'll have to take the risk at some point.

Thomas said:
As Thorpe park's visitor figures show though, do thrill rides bring in the punters? I'd of said dominating the family market and giving Alton a bloody nose doing it is the best way forward for the park.

The case of Thorpe in 2012 is a bit of an anomaly really. Big thrill rides do bring in guests. Towers proved this with Thirteen in 2010. Even though it's not a thrill coaster it was marketed as such, and guest numbers were brilliant for Towers.

I'd argue that Towers is a much better park for families that Drayton though. Drayton however are better for kids. It must be remembered that families are not just kids and do not just go on kids ride. Thomas Land is brilliant, but it is a kids area. To be a great family theme park you need a good mixture of kids ride, family rides and family thrill rides. I'd say Towers edge it at the moment and hopefully in 2014 they'll really secure their position. Drayton need more thrilling rides. It doesn't have to be something really tall or fast, or something that inverts loads of times. Just something a little more exciting. You can still get good thrill rides that slightly older families can enjoy.

I suppose EP are the best example of a true family theme park. They've got it just about spot on.

:)

Drayton's Facebook is now advertising the beginning of their main season:
549779_10151389555587669_1750292944_n.jpg

Why haven't they included Shockwave on what looks like a banner primarily aimed at thrill seekers? Why have they bothered to include Storm Force 10 when most of it is covered? :S Too much G-Force, imo.

Horrible graphic all round. :/

Just looked at the website for the first time in ages, how long has that Bar Inn been at the park? Anyone know if it's any good or is it new for 2013?

I ask because whilst I've not been to DMP in about 4 years one of my strongest memories of the place was that it had the worst food of any park ever. Year after year I would go and hope that the school canteen style slop that they passed off as food had improved, and it never did.

The new Inn place was added either last year or the middle of 2011. However I have never been in there, think its a bit pricey for a family at a theme park.

The last few times I have been we have eaten at the fried chicken place which has usually been alright. I think they have tried to improve their food a bit, I know they have a pie place where everything is locally produced, etc.

BigAl said:
Drayton's Facebook is now advertising the beginning of their main season:
549779_10151389555587669_1750292944_n.jpg

Why haven't they included Shockwave on what looks like a banner primarily aimed at thrill seekers? Why have they bothered to include Storm Force 10 when most of it is covered? :S Too much G-Force, imo.

I don't think they've deliberately included Maelstrom or Storm Force 10, I think it's just the angle of the photograph they've imposed the women on to which is largely unedited.

The food at Drayton has massively improved over the years, their all brilliant quality and although a tad expensive there not a patch as priceyas the ones at Alton!

The grill inn at Drayton Manor is very nice, it is situated just outside the park so I don't know if G.P who have not came to the park can visit (See Map below), I ate there when I stopped over in June. Had a lovely rack of ribs between me and my girlfriend for starter and I had a burger for main and overall enjoyed it. The only issue is that they had CBBC playing out loud on the several TV's in the area which was a little annoying to say the least, don't know if it's a feature for the families so little Johnny can eat his burger whilst watching his favourite CBBC program or whether it was put on by mistake...

Location of Grill inn

http://tinyurl.com/d2snx7u