• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drayton Manor Park

I guess it's partly down to parks thinking that they are better off attracting families than thrill seekers. Some probably think that they can't complete with Alton Towers and Thorpe Park when it comes to thrill rides. Then families are the group that will spend the most in park. It's probably a safer and cheaper way of gaining success.

:)

Rob said:
I guess it's partly down to parks thinking that they are better off attracting families than thrill seekers. Some probably think that they can't complete with Alton Towers and Thorpe Park when it comes to thrill rides. Then families are the group that will spend the most in park. It's probably a safer and cheaper way of gaining success.

I see what you mean, but any aspiring park has to cater for thrillseekers as well as families. And it's not as if a decent coaster costs the earth either - the Intamin Megalite's are comparable in price to Eurofighters from what I've seen.

There's clearly an underlying reason as to why it's not happening though. And there aren't even are rumours of substance hinting that a non-Merlin park may get a thrill coaster. I do think another big factor is that a lot of the smaller parks in the UK simply cannot afford a brand new thrill coaster. Even the cheaper ones are too much for them. I suppose Flamingo Land are the only ones that have tried recently with Mumbo Jumbo and their Volare.

Drayton have supplied the council with an outline 5 year plan for what they want to do which includes a second hotel.

The park are having some of their best years at present, so why fix something that isnt broken?

New rides will come, its inevitable. :)

I think cost is an issue for most uk parks, many simply don't have the funds to purchase a decent thrill coaster even the budget options. Also most up parks and certainly for a family run park like dmp would need to go to the bank to get a loan for a large investment such as a coaster, with the way the economy has been for the last 5 years banks are much less Likely to take the risk.

The most Drayton have spent aside from the hotel is £5m on Thomas land and £4.5m for both shockwave and splash canyon combined. The last few thrill Investments were 3.5m on Gforce, £1m maelstrom and £2m On apocalypse. So even at around £7m For an intamin mega lite might be out of budget for Drayton.

According to TPR, a Mega-Lite would be at least £2 million more than that, putting it further out of reach (?). Still more likely than a Mack launch, anyway. :p

But if a park like Drayton Manor still couldn't stretch for something quite as big as one of them, there's always the S&S El Loco. £4.5 million for the off-the-shelf model isn't bad, and S&S have no problem with doing something a little different with the concept, as the one in the Las Vegas Adventuredome demonstrates.

Then there's something like Plopsaland's Anubis, which would cost Drayton Manor about £5.6 million to make something on the same scale today.

Also, how much is the Vekoma Stingray? ;)

The other issue is the restrictions the park face over rides. The park have stated they would unlikely get permission for bathing as big as shockwave or apocalypse again, the park unlikely to go much over 70ft high and noise is prob their biggest issue.

The last plan that was rumoured was a worlds first (unsure what the worlds first was planned to be) vekoma launch coaster that was fully designed for the park and ready to go if the park green light it. A custom vekoma certainly wouldn't be cheap especially if it was a dueling coaster that it was also rumoured to be. I think we likely to see a launched coaster next and I think something like Anubis would be great.

Although the park have said numerous times in the past they would like to add a woodie and it's yet to happen , a cgi woodie similar size to white lightening that opened at fun spot in Orlando would suit Drayton perfectly and should come within their budget. However still think we will see a steal coaster next before they think about adding a woodie

Drayton just posted this on Twitter:

Drayton Manor's Twitter said:
We've got lots of exciting news for you in 2014, so make sure you're following us on Facebook and Twitter! #draytonmanor

Interesting.

TedTheHuman said:
Drayton just posted this on Twitter:

Drayton Manor's Twitter said:
We've got lots of exciting news for you in 2014, so make sure you're following us on Facebook and Twitter! #draytonmanor

Interesting.

Five pounds says it's not a coaster.

BigAl said:
*crosses fingers for a coaster* :p

If it was a big coaster, surely construction would already be well underway...?

Maelstrom said:
Although the park have said numerous times in the past they would like to add a woodie and it's yet to happen , a cgi woodie similar size to white lightening that opened at fun spot in Orlando would suit Drayton perfectly and should come within their budget.

Although I'm sure the rendering would be great, a CGI woodie would still be a bit of a disappointment...

Nick said:
Five pounds says it's not a coaster.

I'll double that for it not being a coaster, in fact, I am that confident it wont be, I will make it £10.50.

Ride Rater said:
Drayton Manor: "A brand new family thrill ride will be launching at Drayton Manor in 2014. It will be located in the Action Park area - alongside other thrill rides including Maelstrom, Shockwave and G-Force."

Possibly that Zamperla Air Race thing? *crosses fingers*

I bet it's the air race that's been rumoured for past few years. When dreamworld in Australia added their kungfoo panda themed version in 2012 it's runs two versions one on the normal inverting programme and a family friendly version where the ride doesn't invert which would be great for Drayton manor if it is indeed the ride they are adding and enable them to target both thrill seekers and family's.

According to coasterfriends.de Drayton Manor's 2014 news could be a Mack Familly coaster.
Nothing sure about it at the moment, but could be a really good news :)

107723d1339196648-naechste-grosse-neuheit-drayton-manor-484311_229474983830906_1207680768_n.jpg

http://youtu.be/eknlfg2W9NQ

Source (In german)