• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drayton Manor Park

Drayton will not be getting a coaster like Ice breaker. The rumours point to the Apocalypse, Pandemonium and Test Track site for the new coaster and that layout will not fit on that piece of land.
Doesn't have to be that particular layout though, would most likely be custom for Drayton's site. We'll have to wait and see what it turns out to be though. :)

I don't think it will be like Ice Breaker, I do think we could be looking at a family launch coaster though as that seems like something that would suite Drayton's needs pretty well.
There's no saying it won't be on the scale of Ice Breaker but it won't be that sort of layout for the reason @Themeparksandy1981 mentioned. We might see a swing launch however that would be very odd.
I've opened up google earth to show this as best as I can, do forgive me I'm not very good at these sorts of things.

If it were a swing launch you could put in where the red pen is put I'm not sure that's quite big enough. The rest of the layout has realistically, from my understanding, got to fit ruthly where the black outline is. I think it's more than likely not a swing launch. I suppose it might be able to stretch out a bit more but you still need room for station and maintenance bay.
I think we'll see something but I'm really not sure what.

Just to clarify, I never meant to mention an Ice Breaker-style coaster specifically as a genuine rumour.

I remember hearing in a video by Coaster Chall, whose Drayton source has been extremely reliable as of late, that Drayton was building a roller coaster in 2023 with a swing launch as one of its key elements, as well as 800m of total track (although I’m less sure on that one). That’s all Chall said and that’s all I’ve ever heard rumours-wise. In fact, Looping Group were still said to be scoping out manufacturers as of the end of 2021/start of 2022, so it could theoretically be anyone who manufactures swing launches. If there is a 2023 coaster at all, that is.

Something like Ice Breaker was purely a suggestion by me, as I thought it would fit in well at Drayton, and I also thought it could fit the brief that Chall specified nicely.

Take that with as much salt as you wish, of course, as this is only a rumour, but Chall’s sources from Drayton have been remarkably reliable as of late!
EDIT: For clarity, here's the video I'm referencing:

Last edited:
That sort of coaster could have easily fitted on the Buffalo site but as we know it’s getting re-themed to fit into the new Viking area.
I think a good spinning coaster could easily fit on that site and it would be another thrill coaster for the 1.2m family market. If Apocalypse is removed at the end of the season then it will confirm a new coaster is coming in 2023.
I hope to be going to the park on the 20th Feb so will check out the latest on the new area.

Talking to the head of ops for S2 (Apocalypses sector of the park) it is confirmed that Apocalypse will close at the end of this season, partly due to the parks new direction with looping, and partly due to prevailing mechanical issues. Pandemonium went this season, as they need Pandemonium's pad to put the cranes on to remove Apocalypse. There will not be a permanent new ride on Apocalypses pad, as they need it clear to take out Apocalypse in the 22/23 off season, with the aim of using the site for a larger attraction on the old site of both, possibly including the test track site. It is unknown by my source when the new attraction will come in, but the 24 or 25 season does not seam illogical, and if it was on the 25 season they could use it for the parks 75th.

Talking to the head of ops for S2 (Apocalypses sector of the park) it is confirmed that Apocalypse will close at the end of this season, partly due to the parks new direction with looping, and partly due to prevailing mechanical issues. Pandemonium went this season, as they need Pandemonium's pad to put the cranes on to remove Apocalypse. There will not be a permanent new ride on Apocalypses pad, as they need it clear to take out Apocalypse in the 22/23 off season, with the aim of using the site for a larger attraction on the old site of both, possibly including the test track site. It is unknown by my source when the new attraction will come in, but the 24 or 25 season does not seam illogical, and if it was on the 25 season they could use it for the parks 75th.

not so sure about needing Pandemonium’s pad to remove apocalypse. They where able to construct it back in 1999/early 2000 utalising a large crane and they did not have access to Pandemonium’s pad then as sky flyer was on the site. There is enough room out the front entrance of apocalypse for a large crane as there was when they built the ride.

There is no reason they cannot put it where it was when they installed it. Which would be where you go up the steps into the building. But that is assuming they are using the same crane, which is unlikely. It would not be unfeasible that a different crane design requires a different position to safely lift from the top of the tower.

But the fact remains. There will be space where that crane is, to put another crane. Maybe they plan on keeping some of the buildings. Which would mean a new location is needed.

20220204-175305.jpg

If Apocalypse is removed at the end of the season then it will confirm a new coaster is coming in 2023.

With all due respect, when I put 2 and 2 together, I get 4, not 10. Apocalypse getting removed at the end of the season will confirm one thing. That Apocolypse is getting removed. Period.

Unless Drayton Manor themselves state that they are building a new coaster. Nothing is confirmed.

Last edited:
That sort of coaster could have easily fitted on the Buffalo site but as we know it’s getting re-themed to fit into the new Viking area.
I think a good spinning coaster could easily fit on that site and it would be another thrill coaster for the 1.2m family market. If Apocalypse is removed at the end of the season then it will confirm a new coaster is coming in 2023.
I hope to be going to the park on the 20th Feb so will check out the latest on the new area.
2023 is next year, closing and removing apocalypse at the end of the season and building a new coaster for 2023 - not gonna happen

I really don't think Drayton should be removing Apocalypse it's one of the best rides there and something Alton could never have. They have lost so many rides over recent years why not sort them out first like Pirate Adventure building or Excalibur site. Even if they will never reopen surely a replacement for them should come before removing one of there staple rides.

I really don't think Drayton should be removing Apocalypse it's one of the best rides there and something Alton could never have. They have lost so many rides over recent years why not sort them out first like Pirate Adventure building or Excalibur site. Even if they will never reopen surely a replacement for them should come before removing one of there staple rides.

I agree but I think the maintenance costs outweighs keeping it
Really is a shame

I don't think Apocalypse really fits with Drayton's new target audience, as much as we enthusiasts like it. It's a big and dominant thrill ride, which would probably put off a lot of families.

It is a shame poccy is going.

We have to remember though. Drayton Manor have in the past, with G force, started construction late.

They removed Klondike and started construction on G force after the 2004 season had ended. From what I recall, there was no construction of the coaster at any point in the 2004 season. Admittedly, the ride did open quite late into the season.

Point is, what @Themeparksandy1981 is suggesting is not totally out the realms of possibility. It's happened before so could happen again. Probably not the best way to do it mind you.

But, until I hear or see evidence.....I will hold judgement.

Last edited:
Drayton tends to go for summer openings often, don't they? In that case, I think a 2023 coaster being constructed after 2022 is out is certainly doable; as @DistortAMG mentions, they pulled it off with G Force, and I think they pulled off an even shorter "off-season to Easter" construction period with Accelerator!