• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drayton Manor Park

Paid a couple of visits to the park. Once on the Sunday at the end of the Easter Holidays and then an after school trip last Thursday.

On the first it was disappointing that Stormforce 10 was closed all day. The Rapids was closed for a considerable period too. I am able to report though on the dirty fries - purely for research you understand. These were served from the kiosk at the back of the Chicken Diner next to the Tidal Towers play area in Adventure Cove. I had the katsu curry fries.

Now, unlike some posters, I used to be a real fan of the food at DMP. It was never corden bleu, but it was wholesome, decent portions at a reasonable price for a theme park. I was particularly a fan of the pasta place. In the last couple of years the price has gone up, the portion size has reduced at a greater rate than the discount for pass holders. The quality has held up pretty well even if the choice in some outlets has reduced.

Katsu fries fits in with this trend. Was it nice, yes. Will I be purchasing on each visit? No. The increase in price means I proably spend much less readily in the park than I used to. Here you have effectively a posh side costing the same as a supersized meal from up the road. I don't know how other pass holders feel but if they'd increased the discount rather than reduced it then the amount of income from us would possibly increase.

The afterschool trip the following Thursday was fantastic. It was like Cartmanland. Walked on and stayed on Accelerator, Troublesome trucks and four times round stormforce 10 (little lad made 1.30m over the winter!!).

I know a few Sundays ago. They started up Storm Force 10 and it was cycling boats empty up until about 2PM. After then the ride was shutoff for the day. On the same day River Rapids opened about 1PM.

I believe the issue here was lack of staff turning up for work. It was the day after that big boxing match too, probably didn't help with staff availability.

Now that both of these rides require more staff to operate than previously needed. They seem to me more prone to closures due to lack of staff.

Storm Force 10 was literally ready to go, as were the rapids. Both rides cycling empty with everything turned on, potentially in anticipation of staff turning up. It appears after a while they made the decision to pool their staff together so that alteast one could open. With the River Rapids being more family accessible, I guess it makes sense they chose that.

This is potentially the same issue you encountered.

Maybe, on the day we went SF10 was listed as closed and they said it would be closed all day. There was no water cycling at all. Later when we went past the water was on and yes boats were round. I asked if they were gearing up to open and they confirmed they would be closed all day. Later the water stopped again and the boats stopped cycling.

There were a number of staff outside the rapids, they said they would be open but couldn't say when. They did eventually open though.

Interesting if it is staffing that is the issue though. You do wonder whether they could have advertised that certain rides would only be available during certain hours. Sort of a rolling closure (or rolling opening to put a positive spin on it)

It could be a ‘Drayton manor 2024 ‘big project’’ thread? As tbf we don’t have any proof that it’s definitely going to be a coaster. Could be a zoo refit for all we know.

Shawn would have filmed that over Easter as none of the ride signage was up. Here is a video that’s up to date

I did find it funny in the video where Shawn stated twice that the new area will be opening in “Spring” yet we are in to May now and from the look of the video there’s still some way to go. I’d just assumed it was filmed in the past few days but seeing as it was really filmed back in Easter would make sense.