• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drayton Manor Park

The Bryan’s don’t own anything at the park now
William Bryan was still on the board for a just over a year but he left in October last year.
The Bryan’s walked away with nothing but with the amounting debts and the 1 million pound fine for the rapids accident I’m sure Colin happy that the park in good hands and he and his family can enjoy there new life debt free and be proud what his family did for the park for 70 years.

They do not own anything asset wise in the Theme Park, Zoo and Hotel. That does not mean that they do not own the land.

The fact whoever and what is not on the board of directors and the fact you've linked companies house mean nothing.

Neither of them will tell you if the Bryan's do or do not own the land. Companies do not own land they are on automatically.

What I will say according to the land registry (without paying for more information) is the land is currently leasehold. This nearly confirms that Looping Group do not own the land the park is on. As they would not be leasing the land they own a park on to someone else, it would be the other way around.

This also suggests the Bryan's do still own the land and they are leasing it out to the Looping Group.

Hard to tell without more details, but it sounds awfully similar to the setup at Alton Towers.

The fine was also payable to the company. Not the Brian's, that is literally why you have LTD, or Limited in companies names, limited liability to the people who own the company. Bryan's were not liable to pay the fine or debt, the company that went out of business was.

Last edited:
I did always wonder if Colin still lived on site having drove past the house on site the other day by the small roundabout before turning right into the parks carpark. I guess there maybe some truth in it now after all as it still looked like someone lived there due to cars etc.

I did always wonder if Colin still lived on site having drove past the house on site the other day by the small roundabout before turning right into the parks carpark. I guess there maybe some truth in it now after all as it still looked like someone lived there due to cars etc.

The Shipleys also lived on site, may still live. There is also a house at the bottom of the Farm, very much lived in too.

There’s a couple of houses on the site where the Zoo staff stay as the staff got to be there 24/7.

The house in question was a Bryan owned house, unrelated to the Zoo operation. As far as I am aware, it is still the same. I could be wrong though.

The staff do need to be there 24/7, you are correct. But I am pretty sure they work in shifts. They may have rest areas but they do not sleep on site.

We run at 24/7 operation at our work. People have to be there 24/7, that does not mean we sleep there. The shifts are just split up, so that the place is manned 24/7. It is the same for Drayton Manor Zoo. Staff work shifts, so that the place is manned 24/7. Besides, when you are asleep, you are not really much use, so may aswel be at home.

The house in question was a Bryan owned house, unrelated to the Zoo operation. As far as I am aware, it is still the same. I could be wrong though.

The staff do need to be there 24/7, you are correct. But I am pretty sure they work in shifts. They may have rest areas but they do not sleep on site.

We run at 24/7 operation at our work. People have to be there 24/7, that does not mean we sleep there. The shifts are just split up, so that the place is manned 24/7. It is the same for Drayton Manor Zoo. Staff work shifts, so that the place is manned 24/7. Besides, when you are asleep, you are not really much use, so may aswel be at home.
The Zoo staff themselves told me some staff stay overnight just in case a emergency comes up and need extra staff asap.
Colin Bryan moved to Torquay but not sure if William still lives in 1 of the houses.

More positive news on River Rapids is that yesterday all the water effects were live. The geyser type spurts, the mist in the tunnel and the fountain jets over the channel.

One the latter it seemed that some were pointed away from rather than over the boats, don't know if this was always the case.

Well It's good they were on. Maybe they were just having an issue with them, maybe a pump failure or the like, and they just pulled the plug on all the effects to save some wear or maybe they are all in the same main breaker, with isolating taps on each jet.

I think in the case of these rides, they are the 3 rides, as well as rapids that require the most work. Every other ride is basically just switch it on, do a track walk and the ride will in theory run (despite legislation requiring more work for good reason). These 3 rides need far more work. In polperro's case it is refuelling, and the fuel tanks are out the back of shock rather than in the middle of the park (Thomas fuels at the shed by the back of PA). For haunting. each individual scene has to be activated and tested, as well as the ride needing a the usual hurdles, and most of the effects have to be individually activated and tested, even if they run together, which doesn't help. Finally storm needs all the boats cleaning and checking, as some are left outside over night. then all the switch and tilt tracks need testing, and the drive tires need pressure and seal checking, and only then can they start the pumps. I'm not surprised they have taken the decision to move it to opening later, especially as they can free more staff for other rides. however I am surprised the rapids hasn't had this, like how congo at towers sometimes has a 12 opening.

Going back to the earlier conversation of who own the land - is there any lease payments in their accounts?

They would indicate they are leasing something from a third party - and if it’s is substantial that could be the land. Doubt it though and can’t be bothered to re-read the financials

Last edited:
Looking at them now, in the opening statement they say this:

1656769946891.png
This very specifically states that they did not buy everything off the Bryans as has been mentioned here before, it is there in black and white. The trade and 'certain' assets of Drayton Manor Park Limited clearly says that some things were left on the table when the Bryans sold the place. The question is what exactly?

We know they acquired the rides, the acquired most of if not all the buildings and the trade of the park, the only thing missing there if you ask me, is land. Which supports the idea that the Bryans still own the land.

Then there is this, can anyone read this better than me?

1656770439662.png

There is significant value there in leasehold land. Maybe someone a bit more competent can explain this bit. I always thought that land you rent, or leasehold, shows as an asset on your companies sheet, exactly as it does here. Because they will have the rights to build rides and whatnot on that land.

There is also an £11,000 income for rent, which indicates some of the properties on the land are still being used by people, possibly the Bryans

Looking at them now, in the opening statement they say this:

1656769946891.png
This very specifically states that they did not buy everything off the Bryans as has been mentioned here before, it is there in black and white. The trade and 'certain' assets of Drayton Manor Park Limited clearly says that some things were left on the table when the Bryans sold the place. The question is what exactly?

We know they acquired the rides, the acquired most of if not all the buildings and the trade of the park, the only thing missing there if you ask me, is land. Which supports the idea that the Bryans still own the land.

Then there is this, can anyone read this better than me?

1656770439662.png

There is significant value there in leasehold land. Maybe someone a bit more competent can explain this bit. I always thought that land you rent, or leasehold, shows as an asset on your companies sheet, exactly as it does here. Because they will have the rights to build rides and whatnot on that land.

There is also an £11,000 income for rent, which indicates some of the properties on the land are still being used by people, possibly the Bryans

There is an interesting split between the freehold and leasehold - so I would imagine the land is leased

IFRS16 (financial standard for us geeks) means you should recognise the asset in the balance sheet.