Drayton Manor Park

Trooper Looper

TS Member
I love a Madhouse, but never really liked The Haunting. The original incarnation was a tonal mess, as underscored by the transcribed dialogue above. The script reads like something from the Hellraiser series and the rip-off Ghostbusters were played it entirely straight, despite the fact that the ride and its props are incredibly goofy. Not sure it ever had the potential to be a world-class dark ride on either an international or UK scale, and as a support ride, it just takes so long to get in there. Isn't the point in pre-shows on these things to increase capacity as much as to setup the story? Shame it never got the more fitting Scooby Doo retheme once mooted.
I think you're missing the point of the rides original intention. It was meant to pay homage to those types of cheesy sci fi films and TV shows of the 80s. The ride was intentionally goofy, and It looked like it executed it in na very charming way. You're absolutely correct about the ride having a ridiculous wait though, it used to be a lot lot quicker before the 2016 update actually with the Count Erika Version. The ride is mostly long nowadays because the Preshows have been extended, and unfortunately aren't as scary nowadays.

Plastic Person

TS Member
I think you're missing the point of the rides original intention. It was meant to pay homage to those types of cheesy sci fi films and TV shows of the 80s. The ride was intentionally goofy, and It looked like it executed it in na very charming way.

Perhaps you are missing the point in mixing up your own nostalgia and projection with my personal experience? When 'The Haunting' opened in 1996, those 'cheesy sci-films and TV shows of the 80s' were still an oft-repeated part of pop culture and not seen with the reverence and affection that the passing of time has since blessed upon them.

The ride and it's marketing had a po-faced tone that didn't translate to the experience. Everything up until the pre-show promised something genuinely frightening, and aside from the cool technical trick of the finale, soon to be bettered and even perfected an hour away at Alton Towers, the experience never really won over the public. The skeleton flying down above the corridor always prompted more laughs of derision than screams, even in the quaint late-nineties.

I haven't experienced the latest iteration of the ride, but can't believe that the queue could be any slower!

Trooper Looper

TS Member
Perhaps you are missing the point in mixing up your own nostalgia and projection with my personal experience? When 'The Haunting' opened in 1996, those 'cheesy sci-films and TV shows of the 80s' were still an oft-repeated part of pop culture and not seen with the reverence and affection that the passing of time has since blessed upon them.

The ride and it's marketing had a po-faced tone that didn't translate to the experience. Everything up until the pre-show promised something genuinely frightening, and aside from the cool technical trick of the finale, soon to be bettered and even perfected an hour away at Alton Towers, the experience never really won over the public. The skeleton flying down above the corridor always prompted more laughs of derision than screams, even in the quaint late-nineties.

I haven't experienced the latest iteration of the ride, but can't believe that the queue could be any slower!
I have never had the chance to experience any of the pre 2016 versions of the Haunting at all. The closest time I was to experiencing the Count Erika Version was when I went with my Dad to Drayton Manors 2014 fireworks show, and I was too scared to go on just from the Facade and I was crying in tears XD, so we never did it.

My first time going on it was last year, so I have no nostalgic connection to the previous variants of the ride whatsoever. You have to remember, Ghostbusters was well over 10 years old when The Haunting opened, so it was already a little old and left quite a big cultural impact. It was only a matter of time until someone decided to do a ghostbusters style attraction, especially in a respectful manner to try and recapture the feel of the 80s in general. I think the Haunting did it quite well.

The ride has one of the best Ride Adverts ever put on the Screen i think, especially when it was made by a small team in an independent park. Very cinematic, well built up, great lighting and effects.

I think we can all agree though that the previous/original Skeleton jumpscare is just plain out cheap and laughably bad. The latest version is loads better, and now has a new animatronic Skeleton that literally swings over the Guests at quite some speed, though I do think the old ambience that used to be home in the Corridor and Chapel are loads better than the current one, but the new one suits the library really well. If only they turned it down a bit.

Kinda hate the fact that they replaced the Animatronic head in the picture frame for a mere projection screen.

Ciaran

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Nemesis
The Haunting has never met the world class standard. I do love the ride but that’s just because of my own personal experiences over the years. I wish the park would give it more attention, however I sadly see them more likely removing it than spending any large amount of money on it.

I would say that the only world class dark ride that Drayton Manor has ever had was Pirate Adventure. Only in the few years that it was first installed though. Between 1990-2000 I would class it as world class.

We don’t like the current version of the haunting, it feels like it lacks a lot. I personally can’t understand why after the cycle ends and the tomb opens , that nothing happens. Back when it was decent , bats used to pop up out the coffin and get you on the back of the legs. I also believe the cycle used to last a little longer than what it currently does though this may just be my interpretation due to being smaller then however I do believe the ride has lost its charm due to lack of imagination or money restraints. Such a shame. It used to be a scary ride. The shop that you used to exit in used to sell creepy items that fitted perfectly with the ride. Now you exit via a cafe that is overly sized and not used to capacity in any shape or form.

Themeparkplanet

TS Member
We don’t like the current version of the haunting, it feels like it lacks a lot. I personally can’t understand why after the cycle ends and the tomb opens , that nothing happens. Back when it was decent , bats used to pop up out the coffin and get you on the back of the legs. I also believe the cycle used to last a little longer than what it currently does though this may just be my interpretation due to being smaller then however I do believe the ride has lost its charm due to lack of imagination or money restraints. Such a shame. It used to be a scary ride. The shop that you used to exit in used to sell creepy items that fitted perfectly with the ride. Now you exit via a cafe that is overly sized and not used to capacity in any shape or form.
Done some research that haunting when it first opened was only the second vekoma madhouse to open in the world after Vila Volta that opened the same year

In the 90’s Drayton really spend big to go from a standard zoo and amusement park to a theme park and zoo.
1990 Pirate adventure
1991 Bryan’s museum
1992 Pirate Cove with jolly Buccaneer
1993 Splash Canyon
1994 Shockwave
1995 Klondike gold mine
1996 The Haunting
1997 Rory’s Jungle safari
1998 Sombrero’s and the flying jumbos’s with 5 kids rides.
1999 Stormforce 10

Excalibur

TS Member
I thought it was already announced and confirmed? I’m sure Shawn Sanbrooke reported this also and the park haven’t corrected him given they let him have insight in the construction of Vikings.

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
I thought it was already announced and confirmed? I’m sure Shawn Sanbrooke reported this also and the park haven’t corrected him given they let him have insight in the construction of Vikings.
It was said in Blooloop magazine that the park was getting something major in 2024, which is widely rumoured to be a roller coaster by reliable sources.

D4n

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Zadra
Already spoke about that here but £100 but unlimited isn’t to bad

I'm not sure anybody would want to ride anything at Drayton enough times to justify that cost?

But I would prefer fastrack, if introduced, to be obscenely priced to reduce numbers using it.

Drayton is too much of a regional park, with too many low throughput attractions, for it to work though.

Last edited:
We seen with Adventure Cove and if we didn’t have that winter lockdown in 2020/21 it would have opened a lot earlier but as soon as they were all finished on the adventure cove project they started basic ground work on the Viking project so can see the 2024 project starting as soon as the main season is finished.