• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drayton Manor Park

Drayton Manor doesn’t actually have to file for planning permission for much of what they build, as far as I’m aware. This is because of their Permitted Development Rights; any ride under 25m tall can be built without a planning application, as far as I can tell. Accelerator did not necessitate a planning application, Vikings did not necessitate a planning application… I’d wager the new coaster may be quite similar.

Come to think of it, I seem to remember hearing that even Apocalypse didn’t require a planning application…
Interesting, I didn’t know this. And to put it into perspective, a coaster quoted by quite a few (Formula @ Energylandia) is only 81ft tall, so that just fits into these parameters. Gives hope that something thrilling could be coming, and lack of planning makes it even more interesting and mysterious for us to all follow. Exciting times ahead for this little place in Tamworth.

Wouldn’t we be expecting some sort of planning or public consultation soon if this is expected for 2024? We’ve already seen this for Exodus and Horizon, so surely something for Draytons Future Project must be imminent.
They already had it back in September when like Alton locals were send letters to invite them to the hotel to hear about the plans for the coaster and future plans for the farm area of the zoo would could be to do with the raised walkway to the zoo.

It seems almost foolish to the point of optimism to ask, considering how quiet they kept vikings public consultaion, but was anyone here at the event/ is anyone here able to share details about what happened/ what was discussed?

It seems almost foolish to the point of optimism to ask, considering how quiet they kept vikings public consultaion, but was anyone here at the event/ is anyone here able to share details about what happened/ what was discussed?
Staff were told in advance what the plans were for the 2021/22 season but they were told they couldn’t tell anyone as they wanted it to be kept a secret as they had the Twitter/Facebook revealed planned but someone told Coaster Chall so now the general staff don’t know anything. But someone who’s now left the park told me about the Thomas land ride coming in 2023 which has been listed on the parks 5 year plan.
The visitors who attended had to sign something that what they saw they couldn’t tell anyone about.

Last edited:
I definitely think it will be a launched coaster of some sort and I remember hearing a rumour a few months back that Vekoma had been chosen as the preferred manufacturer.

Given that they wouldn't need planning permission for something like Formula it seems a good fit. Does anyone know what the minimal ride height is for Formula?

I definitely think it will be a launched coaster of some sort and I remember hearing a rumour a few months back that Vekoma had been chosen as the preferred manufacturer.

Do Vekoma still have an agreement with RMC to sell their coasters outside of North America?

Drayton only have to get planning permission for things that needs to be built or installed on green belt land. They were granted permission back in 2020 to build on the land that Vikings now sits on.
Been researching and found out this information;
Any proposal for major development within Drayton Manor Park will need to be considered on a comprehensive basis in the context of a planning brief and masterplan for the whole site. The Council will consider applications for development at Drayton Manor Park favourably, where:
  • Such development would upgrade and improve the viability of the attraction;
  • They address the potential for wet woodland and grassland restoration and re-creation;
  • They are appropriate to its function as a major tourism destination;
  • Make a positive contribution to the local economy;
  • They are acceptable taking into account its location within the Green Belt; and
  • They are compatible with the local infrastructure network.

Explanation​

14.19 Our evidence tells us that Drayton Manor Park forms an integral part of the Tourism Strategy for Lichfield district and Staffordshire providing a regionally significant tourist destination and encouraging overnight stays which benefits other attractions in Lichfield district and Tamworth. The attraction also is the 9th largest employer within Lichfield district.

14.20 Due to the nature of a theme park and zoo, much of the site is open in nature being made up of rides and large open air animal enclosures. Also within the site are areas which largely comprise of substantial permanent buildings such as the hotel and conference facilities. Opportunities exist within these sections of previously developed land, for their improvement and development of further facilities to support the continued operation of the site. Our evidence suggests that there are opportunities for the site to deliver objectives for biodiversity connectivity enhancements.

14.21 Whilst important, our evidence supports the position that there are no exceptional circumstances which justify removing the site from the Green Belt. To ensure we can plan positively and provide certainty our policy supports the infilling or the partial or complete redevelopment of previously developed land, within the park whether redundant or in continuing use, where this would not have a greater impact upon the openness of the Green Belt than the existing development.

14.22 The nature recovery network connectivity mapping identifies an opportunity for the improvement/creation of grassland and wetland where appropriate. Through a master-plan opportunities can be identified and safeguarded for the long term with the benefit of existing habitats that can be enhanced as appropriate.

14.23 The master-plan will ensure that development is not brought forward incrementally and that we can ensure our district is able to benefit from co-ordinated positive impacts, in particular those identified in our Tourism Strategy and biodiversity connectivity evidence.

What you told us:​

14.24 Respondents have expressed the need for Drayton Manor Park to continually invest in its provision to enable the attraction to continue to contribute to the visitor economy within our district. Certainty is required to secure investment in identified long term ambitions. Drayton Manor Park has prepared an outline of their ambitions and substantial further work is required in order to provide a planning brief and master-plan which delivers the ambitions of the local plan and can deliver sustainable development.

If Vekoma are the manufacturer of choice could it potentially be a Tilt Coaster. I vaguely remember Vekoma saying they'd sold a certain number that was more than the ones we'd seen plans from parks for (Cota, Six Flags Qiddia, Energylandia) and that would certainly be a unique for the UK coaster.

If Vekoma are the manufacturer of choice could it potentially be a Tilt Coaster. I vaguely remember Vekoma saying they'd sold a certain number that was more than the ones we'd seen plans from parks for (Cota, Six Flags Qiddia, Energylandia) and that would certainly be a unique for the UK coaster.

Judging by the recent investments from the Looping Group at the park (Waveswinger, Zamperela back catalogue et al) I'm not sure they would be ready to brave a prototype roller coaster. I think they got their fingers burnt with Maurer on G-Force, as it wasn't very 'tried and tested'.

I think if they're sinking a large sum of money into something, they're going to want it to be a sound and wise investment.

If you asked me to invest £10+ million into a new roller coaster, I'll want it to be popular with the target audience, reliable and re-rideable. I think something like a Vekoma launched coaster or something like Lech of Fenix would tick all those boxes - but that's just a matter of my opinion.

Alternatively, they could really go 'balls to the walls' and shock us with the UK's first RMC with 15 inversions and make it 237 feet tall to spite both Alton Towers and Thorpe Park. I'll start a Go Fund Me...

Id certainly expect something prior to the start of next season given it supposed to be opening in 2024 and a large chunk of the park will be closed off next season.

Teasers maybe. No need for a full announcement that early. Fully announcing an attraction that early would be the equivalent of marketing suicide.

Ideally a full announcement would be suited well in the weeks building up to a new coaster opening. Alton Towers have always been masters of this approach. It works really well.

Judging by the recent investments from the Looping Group at the park (Waveswinger, Zamperela back catalogue et al) I'm not sure they would be ready to brave a prototype roller coaster. I think they got their fingers burnt with Maurer on G-Force, as it wasn't very 'tried and tested'.

I think if they're sinking a large sum of money into something, they're going to want it to be a sound and wise investment.

If you asked me to invest £10+ million into a new roller coaster, I'll want it to be popular with the target audience, reliable and re-rideable. I think something like a Vekoma launched coaster or something like Lech of Fenix would tick all those boxes - but that's just a matter of my opinion.

Alternatively, they could really go 'balls to the walls' and shock us with the UK's first RMC with 15 inversions and make it 237 feet tall to spite both Alton Towers and Thorpe Park. I'll start a Go Fund Me...

Was you referring to a tilt coaster being a prototype, because a tilt coaster ia not a prototype. The prototype has been operating since 2002. Two new generations are opening this year. The technology is well tried and tested. 2 decades of operations..

Last edited:
I know it’s highly unlikely for Dmp to get a RMC and that the social media team most likely won’t have access to the information until they are ready to begin to tease the information however which ever genius is behind the account on twitter is certainly keeping the hype going. In regards to the last one , although the park have stayed they had been pranked , what if they posted that to judge reactions of the general public without having to actually confirm anything ? Certainly is interesting

Attachments

• 13B816D7-0C56-4018-B5F3-A636B389B979.png
    13B816D7-0C56-4018-B5F3-A636B389B979.png
    227.1 KB · Views: 57
  • F2AE1BE5-3271-4E51-ACD4-DC3442F28402.png
    F2AE1BE5-3271-4E51-ACD4-DC3442F28402.png
    81.9 KB · Views: 57
  • D43B92ED-B4DE-46B2-AF8C-F0428E157308.png
    D43B92ED-B4DE-46B2-AF8C-F0428E157308.png
    206.9 KB · Views: 59
Was you referring to a tilt coaster being a prototype, because a tilt coaster ia not a prototype. The prototype has been operating since 2002. Two new generations are opening this year. The technology is well tried and tested. 2 decades of operations..

You raise a valid point, I forgot about the previous versions of that coaster - I've seen a fair bit of discussion over the new version but didn't connect the dots.

So yes, it certainly could be within the realm of possibility!

You raise a valid point, I forgot about the previous versions of that coaster - I've seen a fair bit of discussion over the new version but didn't connect the dots.

So yes, it certainly could be within the realm of possibility!

Even with that I have my doubts. The tilt mechanism takes alot of space. Then you need a lift to the tilt. The site at Drayton isn't big enough for that.

The marketing for Vikings started on the 17th December with the full line up and names revealed on the 18th May 10 days before it opened to the public.
So the new Thomas land ride could open ready for Easter with ground work starting in January.

The marketing for Vikings started on the 17th December with the full line up and names revealed on the 18th May 10 days before it opened to the public.
So the new Thomas land ride could open ready for Easter with ground work starting in January.

It is not as easy as that. If we have an especially cold or wet winter forcast, they would need to start earlier. To compensate for the conditions that make pouring concrete difficult.

It is not as easy as that. If we have an especially cold or wet winter forcast, they would need to start earlier. To compensate for the conditions that make pouring concrete difficult.
With Thomas land now all open to the 24th December with a couple of mid week closures it’s tough for them to do any work but they will have 5 maybe 6 weeks to Feb half term to dig the foundations and lay the concrete. Then they be closed to the Thomasland weekends start when the kids ride could easily be installed in a week.

I'm guessing they will have to start construction around spring time 2023 with Jan - Mar for ground clearance/ foundation work.. This is presuming the ride will open at the start of the 2024 season.
I think they will do most the work for the 2023 new attractions 1st.
You got to remember when G-Force opened in 2005 the Klondike Gold Mine and the tea cups didn’t close to the end of the 2004 season with a July opening date and with Ben 10 The Sombero ride didn’t close to the end of the 2010 season and Ben 10 opened less than 6 months later on the 21 April 2011.
So I can see this coaster investment been the biggest the park had in 30 years If it’s taking 18 months.

Last edited: